DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the M2Pro Photos Any Good?

My M2P arrived on Tuesday and I wasn't planning on flying until this weekend but the sky lit up this evening so I ran outside to try and capture the twilight sky. This was taken in Downtown Los Angeles and is a frame from a hyperlapse I shot. All camera settings were auto with some editing of the DNG in Photoshop. Really impressing with the camera on this thing. Also, she handles great and is very very fast.

f/2.8, 1/30sec, ISO-160
full
Hmm another illegal drone flight. Did you happen to Notice the Helipad at the bottom left of this image and another at mid centre on the right. So over 400 feet in controlled airspace in a helicopter landing zone. Great. And obviously this was "within line of sight" ?

As Gomer Pyle would say. Shame, Shame, Shame.

So, I took my new Mavic 2 Pro out for an evening spin over the ocean to capture a few images to see how the photos compare to photos from my original Phantom 4 camera.

Well, I have to say, the M2Pro photos are definitely higher quality and produce much more detail than I thought it would. (see attached images). If you zoom in in the photo of the overhead view of the end of the pier, you can see the detail in the concrete panels that make up the deck of said pier.

I'm happy I went with the M2Pro version! Thumbswayup

IPsXIQX.jpg

iZymmYy.jpg

zvExaum.jpg

I get the less noise and higher dynamic range benefit but do you think it yields more details than the super res mode on the M2Z? Have you seen any comparison out there?

Hmm another illegal drone flight. Did you happen to Notice the Helipad at the bottom left of this image and another at mid centre on the right. So over 400 feet in controlled airspace in a helicopter landing zone. Great. And obviously this was "within line of sight" ?

How are you so sure this was taken at over 400 feet? That would be the only violation if that were the case. Helo pads are virtually everywhere.

Reactions: JDawg

You may be correct that it was illegal, but you don't really have enough information to know that. It does appear to over 400 ft AGL - at least the relative altitude (relative to takeoff) was 551 ft. It does appear to be close to at least one designated heliport, but it is in Class G airspace, below the 2500 ft Class B shelf.

So, if it were a Part 101 flight it could be legal if he had notified the heliport. Under Part 107 the airspace is fine, because the aircraft was within 400 ft of a tall structure. There is no indication that it was not within VLOS.

Reactions: lolo780 and Joola
uhhh.... no flying anything would compare to my a7rIII with any lens mounted or my 5D4 with any of my lenses.

This is a flying RX100.... or G7XII. It's still point and shoot quality... albiet very good for what it is. But don't lose sight of what it is.

You realize that people fly the 5D4?
We know that the state of the art in miniaturization is the iPhone X. The Pro is a very good value, but far from what is achievable today at its size.

How do you know that he isn't near or over a building? The rule is not simply 400 feet AGL. I would probably never make that flight, but it might be legal. The Helipad is only relevant if he doesn't have a 107 IIRC.

You realize that people fly the 5D4?
We know that the state of the art in miniaturization is the iPhone X. The Pro is a very good value, but far from what is achievable today at its size.

Yes I do, sorry. What I meant that no consumer flying anything matches the SLR. Granted you have flying rigs that have canon/sony/nikon and even red dragons mounted that cost more than most peoples homes or several homes combined type stuff.

What I'm saying is for what the MP2 is... it's a very good quality rig. But I already know not to expect what I get out of even a standard rebel camera. It's a flying RX100. And it's awesome for what it is!

And yet it is the best that has been achieved so far on a small consumer drone. Perhaps Apple needs to start making drones.

The good news is that at the Mavic price point the camera can continue to improve in future releases. I find the Mavic 2 Pro to be "good enough". I did not find its predecessor to be good enough.

I do a lot of landscape photography. To be able to pack a drone that takes sufficiently good stills and video is very useful. On the whole I find the Mavic 2 Pro to be very inexpensive.

Flight was legal. I flew under Part 107, over a vacant construction site. Max altitude AGL was 700 feet but within 400ft of the adjacent structure which is 637ft tall. Class G airspace.

Here’s a link to the hyperlapse that was captured and this still was pulled from.
The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com

Thanks for your concern. I recommend asking questions before throwing around accusations next time. There’s enough of that going on in the real world we shouldn’t do the same to each other on this forum.

Last edited:

AKA: Drone Fuzz
Yaaaawwwwwnnnnnn!

Cold Spring Canyon Arch Bridge on San Marcos Pass Road near Cachuma Lake (California).

UVNDnnE.jpg

Type: Steel arch
Total length: 1,217 ft (371 m)
Longest span: 700 ft (213 m)
Clearance below: 400 ft (122 m)
Construction cost: Over USD$2,000,000
Opened: 1963

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads