DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the Mini2 motors actually more powerful than the Mini1?

scro

Reactions
Many people have claimed they are but I don't see any evidence to prove this.

I have a mini1 and have played with the parameters a bit. By doing this I have managed to repeatably achieve 6m/s ascent (mini2 is set to 5m/s max ascent). I've also increased the max allowable tilt to 40deg and acceleration is noticably swifter, while the drone doesn't lose altitude as a result of the increased tilt. I've not managed to hit 16m/s but have also noticed that the full 40deg of tilt only gets used during initial acceleration and the tilt gets backed off to 15-20deg once going faster (up around 8m/s and faster) If the firmware used the available tilt a bit more I'm sure the mini1 could hit at least 16m/s.

In short, a few firmware mods to the mini1 make it perform just as well as the mini2 (with the exception of top end speed).

Reactions: Romulus Archibald

I have a mini1 and have played with the parameters a bit. By doing this I have managed to repeatably achieve 6m/s ascent (mini2 is set to 5m/s max ascent). I've also increased the max allowable tilt to 40deg and acceleration is noticably swifter, while the drone doesn't lose altitude as a result of the increased tilt. I've not managed to hit 16m/s but have also noticed that the full 40deg of tilt only gets used during initial acceleration and the tilt gets backed off to 15-20deg once going faster (up around 8m/s and faster) If the firmware used the available tilt a bit more I'm sure the mini1 could hit at least 16m/s.

In short, a few firmware mods to the mini1 make it perform just as well as the mini2 (with the exception of top end speed).

According to reviews, the motors on the Mini 2 sounds different and the propellers are also different.

I'm no expert but would assume that there's some hardware changes based on this.

Lower pitch may mean lower rpm.
I wonder if it is possible to mount MM2 props on an MM.

If the props are more efficient, we should hear the lower pitch on the MM too

The Mini2 motors have a subtly different appearance so aren't exactly the same as the MM1. I've seen a few reports that the prop noise is "quieter" or "lower pitched" which indicates the props/motors may be designed to operate at a lower speed. Nothing yet to demonstrate they're actually more powerful, though.

It looks a bit like the main hardware upgrade is the transmitter and receiver. Most of the other upgrades are firmware based. Undoubtedly there have been a few other small tweaks hardware-wise, but nothing as significant as people are being led to believe.

Well, the batteries are 7.7V instead of the original 7.2V, so even if they used the same motors, they would have more power available.
It would be more about the current capability of the battery than the voltage. The voltage difference isn't significant.

As for rate of ascent, that can be limited in firmware for safety but still have a greater margin of power if it needs it. After all, it does have greater wind capability than the MM1.

After tweaking the parameters (tilt angle, max ascent rate, follow_gimbal to 0) on my MM1 it certainly felt and flew like a different drone too! The battery in the Mini2 is probably more capable of supplying the current and voltage peak demands compared to the MM1 battery.

The motor housings are different (mount cross bar), I sold My MM1 so not able to directly compare. Had a cheeky flight again this morning while taking so exercise, it does feel like a different drone
Definitely feels different. It resembles my Air 2 in flight. The original mini felt "mini". Don't get me wrong, it was great too, but this drone feels bigger and more powerful, whether it actually is more powerful or not.

It would be more about the current capability of the battery than the voltage. The voltage difference isn't significant.
With electric motors, more volts means more RPMs -- that's how the speed is controlled -- and more RPMs will draw more current. If these motors can run for about 30 minutes with either battery, then they're not getting near the maximum discharge rate of either battery.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know squat about technical things, but will note that the Mini1 has a top speed of 26mph in sport mode while the Mini2 has a top speed of 35mph. Some of that has to do with increased pitch angle, but I suspect some has to do with increased volatage and possibly stiffer propellers.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know squat about technical things, but will note that the Mini1 has a top speed of 26mph in sport mode while the Mini2 has a top speed of 35mph. Some of that has to do with increased pitch angle, but I suspect some has to do with increased volatage and possibly stiffer propellers.
I think you're right, and the increased pitch angle is only possible because of the increased thrust.

Where does the 26mph come from? Official specs for the MM1 give 29mph top speed. I've had 33mph top speed out of my MM1.

Forward speed (with no wind) is achieved by aircraft pitch angle like you say, combined with thrust from the props. When hovering the thrust is just enough to hold the aircraft up against the force of gravity. When the aircraft pitches forward to start moving forward that thrust gets shared between holding the aircraft up and pushing it forward. When the aircraft pitches forward a lot to get up to high speeds a much higher share of the thrust goes in to pushing the aircraft forward, leaving less to hold the aircraft up. Thus you need to increase the overall thrust so that there's still enough to hold the aircraft up. This extra thrust is achieved by spinning the motors and props faster.

Reactions: zeusfl
Where does the 26mph come from? Official specs for the MM1 give 29mph top speed. I've had 33mph top speed out of my MM1.
I must have misread the spec sheet... But I never got mine to go faster than 26mph in any condition in sport mode. But even so, I would think that that means that the Mini 2 really has only 15% more thrust power than the Mini 1, regardless of how it's accomplished. I actually thought the Mini 2 would have even more of an advantage if you are correct. Whatever it is... Sold my Mini 1 this morning and ordered the Mini 2 this afternoon.

FWIW, for those interested, here is a graphic of the Beaufort Wind Scale, which I think could be helpful. The Mini 1 is rated for Beaufort category 4 and the Mini 2 for the Beaufort catagory 5.

1604890173051.png

Reactions: Webcruise

In short, a few firmware mods to the mini1 make it perform just as well as the mini2 (with the exception of top end speed)when

When I press home button and full throttle forward I can get 60km/h. This works on any Mavic Mini

When I press home button and full throttle forward I can get 60km/h. This works on any Mavic Mini
I've tried doing exactly that several times and I didn't get quite 60km/h. The best I achieved was about 52km/h. Have you done any modifications to your Mini?

Reactions: Mavic Mini
Please don’t be upset with me for asking, my mini2 is still shipping from DJI. What’s deal with pressing the HOME + FORWARD buttons at same time? Is that some kind of boost or turbo mode? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer

Please don’t be upset with me for asking, my mini2 is still shipping from DJI. What’s deal with pressing the HOME + FORWARD buttons at same time? Is that some kind of boost or turbo mode? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer
On Mavic Mini- yes! On Mini 2- I don't know!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys