DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the Mini2 motors actually more powerful than the Mini1?

Pressing the home button makes the drone automatically come back to where it took off from (if it got a gps lock). While its on autopilot in return to home mode you can "push" it to come back faster or slower by using the controller sticks. Thats the case for the mini1. I'd expect the mini2 to behave the same.

Reactions: Mavic Mini
Does P=IV still apply?

edit
Ahh some grey cells are still working, that's "resistive" power if those cells are working correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
Does P=IV still apply?

edit
Ahh some grey cells are still working, that's "resistive" power if those cells are working correctly
Fundamentally, yes P=VI. While the drone motors are called brushless DC motors that DC supply needs to be switched back and forth between windings on the stator so starts to behave more like AC, making the motor become a reactive load rather than purely resistive. With reactive loads VI gives you apparent power, and V and I may be slightly out of phase to each other so a "power factor" is used to determine the true power. True power = I*V*PF and will be a bit less than apparent power.

With the Mini2's LiPo battery there is a fractionally higher voltage, and potential for higher current, so the exact same motor could be driven harder.

Reactions: vaderbloke
I have a mini1 and have played with the parameters a bit. .... I've also increased the max allowable tilt to 40deg
Did you use DJI Assistant to change the parameters of the Mini ? May I know the minimum value of the tilt angel that can be set to ? I am planning to do something special with the Mini. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I used drone-hacks. I've not checked what the minimum is, but it could well be zero. It would render the drone a bit unflyable as you could only go up and down, with no ability to resist wind. Is it the tilt you want to clamp to zero, or the speed?

I used drone-hacks. I've not checked what the minimum is, but it could well be zero. It would render the drone a bit unflyable as you could only go up and down, with no ability to resist wind. Is it the tilt you want to clamp to zero, or the speed?
I am thinking of reducing the tilt angle to zero only for a particular mode like the Cine mode. Then the craft will drift with the wind allowing the wind direction and speed to be measured. Is this possible ? It is necessary to have the setting effective only for the chosen mode without affecting the others or the drone will not be flyable as you said.

It would be more about the current capability of the battery than the voltage. The voltage difference isn't significant.
Higher voltage is how you achieve higher current flow in any load.

Power = VxA (voltage times current). The higher voltage batteries would present the capability for more power from the MM1 motors too.

In general, for a fixed load increasing voltage to the load will increase power as the square of the increase (i.e. 10% increase in voltage, 1.1 multiplier, power will multiply by 1.1^2 = 1.21 or 21% increase in power).

Does P=IV still apply?

edit
Power is power is power is power. The power being consumed by a load is simply, and always, the current flowing through it multiplied by the voltage across it.

For a static, linear load (a resistor), power increases as the square of the voltage increase factor. Motors are not strictly linear, but behave in a similar fashion (i.e. increase voltage input, current increases, power increases by about square).

Power consumed might be V x I, but useful power out needs to consider whether these 2 are in phase or not.

Just a quick note about batteries. 7.2V vs 7.4V is just nonsense. Lithium Ion batteries have a range between 2.5-3V at the low end, and 4.2V at the high end. This is a limit of Li-Ion chemistry. Going out of this range shortens the battery life significantly. In general, 3.6V is considered the average Voltage for a cell, and 7.2V is twice that (Two cells). I can guarantee you there will be no measureable difference between a fully charged '7.2V' battery and a '7.4V' battery, because fully charged they will both measure 8.4V.
The new battery might have a slightly higher Amp Hour rating, but it won't be much, considering they both appear to use 18650 cells.

Considering the sensor is 4K, and the controller IC is capable of handling 4K, it's likely the camera is crippled by firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if the top speed and wind resistance were also crippled by firmware. Manufacturers do it all the time. There may be hardware differences between the Mini1 and Mini2, but I'd bet it was done more to eliminate compatibity between the two.

Just a quick note about batteries. 7.2V vs 7.4V is just nonsense. Lithium Ion batteries have a range between 2.5-3V at the low end, and 4.2V at the high end. This is a limit of Li-Ion chemistry. Going out of this range shortens the battery life significantly. In general, 3.6V is considered the average Voltage for a cell, and 7.2V is twice that (Two cells). I can guarantee you there will be no measureable difference between a fully charged '7.2V' battery and a '7.4V' battery, because fully charged they will both measure 8.4V.
The new battery might have a slightly higher Amp Hour rating, but it won't be much, considering they both appear to use 18650 cells.
The new battery is a 7.7V 2S LiPo.

UNLESS if DJI decided to purposefully undercharge the Mini1's batteries, which is entirely possible.

Considering the sensor is 4K, and the controller IC is capable of handling 4K, it's likely the camera is crippled by firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if the top speed and wind resistance were also crippled by firmware. Manufacturers do it all the time. There may be hardware differences between the Mini1 and Mini2, but I'd bet it was done more to eliminate compatibity between the two.
The firmware in the Mini is communicating with the camera SoC (system on a chip) through an interface, and a method in that interface allows specifying the video resolution. We know the Mini's SoC supports 4K, but the only crippling that's necessary is to not give the user any way to tell it to use 4K. A hack might get around that, but the question is, would something melt if it was allowed and the Mini tried to process that much higher bit rate? I don't know, but maybe someday we'll find out.

I am thinking of reducing the tilt angle to zero only for a particular mode like the Cine mode. Then the craft will drift with the wind allowing the wind direction and speed to be measured. Is this possible ? It is necessary to have the setting effective only for the chosen mode without affecting the others or the drone will not be flyable as you said.
I see what you're thinking nowThumbswayup Just had a play and, no, you can't set a tilt limit for just Cine mode without it affecting normal mode too. Sport mode can be configured separately, though. You also can't set a tilt limit of zero. The minimum is 5deg in C and P modes, and 10deg in S mode.:(

Reactions: boblui
I think you could do that with ATTI mode -- it turns off GPS position hold but leaves altitude hold on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest