DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are these batteries intelligent? Am I?

OldBlueHeron

Reactions
Do these batteries auto discharge? I believe the manual says no. Thoughts for longevity?

Do these batteries auto discharge? I believe the manual says no. Thoughts for longevity?
according to the manual no they do not auto discharge ,they need to be discharged manually,if you have the flymore combo, you can use the battery charger unit that holds the 3 batts as it has outputs to allow it to be used as a power bank to charge other stuff

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
according to the manual no they do not auto discharge ,they need to be discharged manually,if you have the flymore combo, you can use the battery charger unit that holds the 3 batts as it has outputs to allow it to be used as a power bank to charge other stuff
Yes. I would only discharge with one battery in the hub at a time though. Otherwise it drains each one completely before moving onto the next, and you have to charge it back up to storage charge!

Yes. I would only discharge with one battery in the hub at a time though. Otherwise it drains each one completely before moving onto the next, and you have to charge it back up to storage charge!
Or get a charger with discharge functionality... Rarely occurs for me, but mine does 4 batteries at once for my M2P batteries... available for others.

So what does the battery update do if they aren’t intelligent? One of my batteries got an update.

i think there are two different drones being talked about here the MM batts do not self discharge if you believe the manual but recently the mavic 2 app added the facility to change the no of days to discharge

DJI call it intelligent, might go have a look about . . .

Battery FAQ aren't much help :confused:

It's all in the manual

So what does the battery update do if they aren’t intelligent? One of my batteries got an update.
The batteries communicate with the Mini firmware which communicates with the RC firmware which communicates with DJI Fly software. Updates may be required to keep all that working.

Yes, of course !
It doesn't actually mention how to USE the charger to discharge the battery though, ie plug in with full battery, then ?
The manual kind of indicates discharging is by the charger supplied.

Says the battery won't auto discharge, but you should lower the charge if it's not going to be used after 10 days.
Discharge to between 39% and 75% (p20).

In another section of Battery, it recommends discharging to about 30%, and to do this by flying the aircraft outdoors (p22).

The hibernation mode looks like a good feature though.

Reactions: Chris Baish
based on the photo in the teardown thread it looks like they took 18650 samsung cells and placed them into a plastic holder. i wonder if they even did a controller board or it is just a shell.
may be more pictures will come with more details.

it is interesting that they used 20A 25R cell and not a 3000mah 30Q 15A cell. can mavic mini really burn 20A?

Last edited:
Yes, of course !
It doesn't actually mention how to USE the charger to discharge the battery though, ie plug in with full battery, then ?
The manual kind of indicates discharging is by the charger supplied.

Says the battery won't auto discharge, but you should lower the charge if it's not going to be used after 10 days.
Discharge to between 39% and 75% (p20).

In another section of Battery, it recommends dischaging to about 30%, and to do this by flying the aircraft outdoors (p22).

The hibernation mode looks like a good feature though.
There's another manual for the charging hub. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mav...wo-Way_Charging_Hub_User_Guide_v1.0_multi.pdf

Basically you use the larger USB output port to plug in your phone or something else that needs charging. As long as the hub isn't connected to its own power source, and there is a battery in there, it will act as a power bank. It will discharge one battery at a time fully, then move onto the next. However, better to remove them at 50% charge or thereabouts for storage.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
There's another manual for the charging hub. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mav...wo-Way_Charging_Hub_User_Guide_v1.0_multi.pdf

Basically you use the larger USB output port to plug in your phone or something else that needs charging. As long as the hub isn't connected to its own power source, and there is a battery in there, it will act as a power bank. It will discharge one battery at a time fully, then move onto the next. However, better to remove them at 50% charge or thereabouts for storage.

Ah, not a bad idea for the discharge . . . yes, hopefully they won't allow full discharge, if so they must depend on the new hibernation feature.

All three of my batteries required updates. Still curious as to why.
i believe it is because there has already been a update for the MM to do with it flying unsteadily just after take off and the update addressed that

Batteries are considered intelligent because they themselves maintain balanced charge between the two cells, can determine rather accurately the state of charge (SoC) at any given moment, prevents charging when too hot, too cold, prevents overcharging, etc.
Also reports its state to the AC.

Is the low level battery warning preset on the MM.I was able to set a low battery warning percentage on my Mavic.
Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe