DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you a keeper or an upgrader?

I used to keep my earlier model drones when newer ones came out, and get around to buying the newer model in 6 months or so. I haven't kept up with everything DJI has come out with in the consumer space, but starting with the P3 I've had most of 'em, the Mavic Mini, and M2Z being exceptions.

About two years ago I decided it was no benefit to have the P3, A2, A2S, M2P, Mini 2 sitting in their cases doing nothing. Since then, I've sold off the A2, A2S, M2P (now wish I hadn't) and Mini 2. My Squadron is down to a Mini3P and Avata which I fly regularly, the FPV which i fly every few months, and P3 and Mavic Pro that never fly but I keep for sentimental reasons.

An Air 3 will be joining the the rest in the hangar soon. Probably not an M3 of any flavor, given how much the A3 has closed that gap.

How about the rest of you? Upgrading, or slowly procuring a DJI museum?
I am a keeper ... at this point. I have a Mavic 2 Pro that flies like a top with a self-imposed "frozen" very stable OS level installed ... no more updates will be done by me. It flies perfectly, it observes No-Fly zones and allows updates to No-Fly zones ONLY, period. Too may horror stories of later updates causing more issues than they fix are seen all the time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

As much as it would be cool to have the latest and greatest, I don't have a compelling reason to update from my Mavic 2 Pro.

I'm a crasher, so by consequence, an upgrader :)

Just destroyed my Air 2S, so my choice was to either bury 640 Euros into a replacement that would become a legacy drone from 2024, or to spend 1350 Euros onto the new Air 3, fly more, with a C1 certification.

I guess the choice was really only one.
Will the Air 2S not be worth having in Europe soon? What's the disadvantage to keeping mine and bringing it to Europe?

The condition is "Gear Aquisition Syndrome" . Many photographers suffer from this . When digital cameras were introduced, I would upgrade every other model until the technology became fairly stable. My last new camera was in 2017. Nothing produced since will make me a better photographer. I would sell my old cameras as soon as I upgraded.
Consumer drones are really going through similar tech development.
Currently I have a Air 2s Registered under 107, and non-registered Mini 2 (just for travel) . I sold My first drone an Air 2 as soon as I purchased a Used Air 2s, for the better camera.
I am only 3 years into my drone journey and I only do a small amount of commercial work that has covered all my drone related cost .
Tempt me with the Air 4 if it gets a variable aperture and a micro 4/3 sensor , 360 obstacle avoidance, then I would likely think about an upgrade............ Just saying.

Will the Air 2S not be worth having in Europe soon? What's the disadvantage to keeping mine and bringing it to Europe?

The disadvantage is that you will be able to fly it only in A3 (at least 150 meters from residential, commercial and industrial areas, and the same distance from uninvolved persons).

So practically nowhere interesting to shoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjwmorrell
The disadvantage is that you will be able to fly it only in A3 (at least 150 meters from residential, commercial and industrial areas, and the same distance from uninvolved persons).

So practically nowhere interesting to shoot.
Is there an advanced pilot licence one can get to still be able to fly it?

I believe so, in specific category, but then you have to fill-in a flight plan, a risk assessment, you must give a reason for flying, generally you need to do it commercially, and so on. I doubt that people who fly specific category missions will use an Air 2S anyway.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I believe so, in specific category, but then you have to fill-in a flight plan, a risk assessment, you must give a reason for flying, generally you need to do it commercially, and so on. I doubt that people who fly specific category missions will use an Air 2S anyway.
To get my advanced in Canada, we had to do all of those things. It sounds similar. Thanks!

I used to keep my earlier model drones when newer ones came out, and get around to buying the newer model in 6 months or so. I haven't kept up with everything DJI has come out with in the consumer space, but starting with the P3 I've had most of 'em, the Mavic Mini, and M2Z being exceptions.

About two years ago I decided it was no benefit to have the P3, A2, A2S, M2P, Mini 2 sitting in their cases doing nothing. Since then, I've sold off the A2, A2S, M2P (now wish I hadn't) and Mini 2. My Squadron is down to a Mini3P and Avata which I fly regularly, the FPV which i fly every few months, and P3 and Mavic Pro that never fly but I keep for sentimental reasons.

An Air 3 will be joining the the rest in the hangar soon. Probably not an M3 of any flavor, given how much the A3 has closed that gap.

Started with a P1 (with GoPro). When it was time, I moved to a P3. Sold the P1/kept the GoPro. Now, I've got a Mavic Air 2 and sold the P3. The buyers got good deals and I got money toward the upgrade. I understand the urge to keep the old ones, but I realized I probably wouldn't be using them, so either hang 'em up in the man cave or sell 'em. I sold 'em.

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a definite, absolute, positive, died in the wool KEEPER. And my wife will testify to that. Sorry I can't display a OCD'd photo with all my drones perfectly laid out as if on parade, I don't have enough open space except perhaps the garden and couldn't physically handle that.

But I have to admit, not every drone is branded DJI, only 9 have that pedigree, the remaining 40+ have many different titles. From Xiaomi (Fimi) to the Bugs lineup, from Hobbyking's Quanum Nova Pro to a trio of Aosemnas. Let's not forget the 15 or so home designed and built 450's. My largest beast was built to compete in the HobbyKing's great beer lift. A hexcopter with oversized motors which missed the competition due to a hospital trip (mine not the drone's). I guess the most unusual has to be the hefty TriCopter, It took me hours to finally get the motor and servo wiring inside the 3 arms. I often wish I could find someone who can setup the HobbyKing KK2 Flight controllers. I've tried and never got them to fly correctly.

There's also boxes and boxes of spare parts from homebrew drones. Spare motors which cost me half of today's prices plus every gadget and gizmo to build and maintain the drones plus fixed wing aircraft, boats and 4 wheel vehicles.

I can say for sure I've never sold one RC vehicle, be it drone, boat, plane, Heli, truck or car. I did swap a boat many years ago, so I guess I qualify for what my wife calls me. A HOARDER. Being 74 of age maybe it's time to consider parting with most of it, We'd certainly gain a lot of floor space plus make the bank manager happy for the first time in decades. OK, I've considered it and my conclusion, not just yet. :)

Reactions: WanderLost
OK, I'll admit it, I'm a definite, absolute, positive, died in the wool KEEPER. And my wife will testify to that. Sorry I can't display a OCD'd photo with all my drones perfectly laid out as if on parade, I don't have enough open space except perhaps the garden and couldn't physically handle that.

But I have to admit, not every drone is branded DJI, only 9 have that pedigree, the remaining 40+ have many different titles. From Xiaomi (Fimi) to the Bugs lineup, from Hobbyking's Quanum Nova Pro to a trio of Aosemnas. Let's not forget the 15 or so home designed and built 450's. My largest beast was built to compete in the HobbyKing's great beer lift. A hexcopter with oversized motors which missed the competition due to a hospital trip (mine not the drone's). I guess the most unusual has to be the hefty TriCopter, It took me hours to finally get the motor and servo wiring inside the 3 arms. I often wish I could find someone who can setup the HobbyKing KK2 Flight controllers. I've tried and never got them to fly correctly.

There's also boxes and boxes of spare parts from homebrew drones. Spare motors which cost me half of today's prices plus every gadget and gizmo to build and maintain the drones plus fixed wing aircraft, boats and 4 wheel vehicles.

I can say for sure I've never sold one RC vehicle, be it drone, boat, plane, Heli, truck or car. I did swap a boat many years ago, so I guess I qualify for what my wife calls me. A HOARDER. Being 74 of age maybe it's time to consider parting with most of it, We'd certainly gain a lot of floor space plus make the bank manager happy for the first time in decades. OK, I've considered it and my conclusion, not just yet. :)
Haha - Keep it all! He who dies with the most toys wins! It certainly sounds like the hobby has brought you many pleasant hours.

I'm looking forward to Dementia, Imagine the fun I'd have looking through all those plastic tubs and never knowing what I'd discover. I could do that every Friday and it would feel like it's a brand new adventure. I could double the fun at Easter and hide my own Easter Eggs.

Reactions: finity and Torque
I was a keeper, but the money tied up is piling up. Time to thin the collection a little bit. Going forward I only plan to keep the current lineup, and sell the older models. I am involved with several other hobbies, which are all money pits lol.

I would classify myself as a keeper but I don't keep every drone I have owned. I'm a keeper because I don't upgrade everytime a new model comes out however I have made a few upgrades in the last year or so to get to my 'perfect setup'.

I made the upgrade from a Mavic 3 to a Mavic 3 Pro about a month ago so I could have the 3 lenses for photography. I loved my Mavic 3 but having the additional 70mm tele lens and the improved 166 tele lens was enough of a reason to make the jump. I also bought a Mini 3 Pro just over a year ago for those times when it was not practical/possible to fly my Mavic 3. I can fly both drones from my RC Pro - my perfect set-up, so I have no intention of upgrading for awhile now. Similarily, I have a light DSLR that I take everywhere and my heavy full frame DSLR with an assortment of lenses that I have had for many years and haven't upgraded.

I still have and fly my Phantom 3 Standard which was my first DJI drone. I will keep it until I crash it or it dies. It's amazing that I can still buy aftermarket batteries for it. I still use it for light painting and run it with Litchi and Dronelink.

Chris

Started with the phantom 2 which enticed me to buy a phantom 3 pro, that lead to buying a mini 3 pro, so naturally I HAD to have the maverick 3 to see how good it could be, all the while picking up a Inspire 1 for a good deal that pushed me to the Inspire 2 with ProRes just to make sure my fleet was complete. Now I have my interior sunroom turned into a hangar for my drones, cameras and a small corner for my laptop. I guess I am a keeper.

Started with the phantom 2 which enticed me to buy a phantom 3 pro, that lead to buying a mini 3 pro, so naturally I HAD to have the maverick 3 to see how good it could be, all the while picking up a Inspire 1 for a good deal that pushed me to the Inspire 2 with ProRes just to make sure my fleet was complete. Now I have my interior sunroom turned into a hangar for my drones, cameras and a small corner for my laptop. I guess I am a keeper.
And somehow I forgot about the phantom 4 pro I got 6 months ago because I wanted to test the mapping compared to the phantom 3 pro and I wanted the increased flight time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N