DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you a "thumber" or a "pincher"?

Do you operate your controller with your thumbs, or do you "pinch" the sticks to control movement?

• I just use my thumbs and get all the control I need. No need to explore alternatives.

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • I tried the pinching technique but doesn't work well for me so I use my thumbs.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I pinch the sticks because I get more control that way.

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • I pinch the sticks because that's just he way I've always done it.

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
I am a thumb flyer. It started as a kid playing the Coleco Electronic Quarterback, a handheld video game that required quick hand eye coordination and dexterous thumbs. It was quite a natural transfer once I started flying drones, albeit 30 years later. It all came back...just like riding a bike and having sex.
Sadly, I don’t ride a bike anymore .... ?

• Love
Reactions: ehje and Gagey52
I use the “Thumb” technique. I ended up making a set of custom field “low profile” control sticks on a CNC mill to easily toss the SC in my back pack without the need to place a lid cover or unscrew the OEM version...

Attachments

• EB1703C7-09B0-46C8-B322-FEA3BA4F03E5.jpeg
    EB1703C7-09B0-46C8-B322-FEA3BA4F03E5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 9D0491E9-B328-45A1-BAE6-3B0F8A243700.jpeg
    9D0491E9-B328-45A1-BAE6-3B0F8A243700.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
@rstcso I think I'm afraid of heights too. I get a sharp tingle in my man parts even when watching TV and see one of those looking-over-the-cliff shots. I wish I had jumped out of perfectly good airplanes when I was younger and had no sense of mortality so I wouldn't have any issues.
I have jumped 67 times out of perfectly good military aircraft and still when I stand on the edge of a roof or cliff (without the parachute) I get that queasy feeling. Remember it's not the fall but the sudden stop.

Thumbs all the way, I need the index fingers for changing from stills to video or other button functions on the bottom of the RC. Plus gripping the RC with the index fingers around the front of the controller gives me more stability using the thumbs.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I use thumbs most of the time. The only time I pinch is if it makes for a smoother shot, I often use a table to set the controller on when I pinch to get a steadier shot. If I'm flying a non stabilized aircraft (like an airplane or racing drone} where quick movement is required, it's all thumbs.

I use thumbs flying the mavics i own, but i have moved to pitching on the DJI FPV controller I am using only now. When Acro comes into play i have a very hard time making it work with just thumbs.

Just thumbs, the rest is used to balance and steady the controller.

I've always used my thumbs from the beginning but I recently tried out the pinching technique. One problem I've always had while trying to do very smooth steady shots was that one or both of my thumbs would start spazzing out trying to hold a perfect stick position. I recently did some shots where I had to fly very close to a building and through tree branches. I couldn't let my thumbs spaz out during that so I tried the pinching technique away from the objects first to practice then continued to get my shots. So I would say both would come in handy depending on the situation. Thumbs for wide open areas and pinching for when you're in tight spaces....or should I say, "in a pinch?" lol

Over 1200 jumps, military and civilian. Still get the butt pluckers with heights.

I use thumbs, but use sticks that are about twice as long as the original MA 2 sticks for more precise control.

I think it's only during those butt-clenching moments that I put as many fingers and thumbs on them as possible ?
I should also mention I feel I have more control since buying stick extensions similar to these
Ordered, then saw delivery by March 4!!

I use both methods but that wasn’t one of the survey choices. Thumbs most of the time and pinch when I need more precision. Also, the pitch method is useful to stabilize my hands when my old person hand tremors flare up.
I do the same. I have Essential Tremor, so flying the drone in precision areas requires I use the pinch method, but when I'm out in the open, I'm thumbs all the way!

I'd like to see a "both" option...in a tight situation where I need to be precise (ie flying thru or under something) I pinch, when I'm away from obstacles I'll relax and just use thumbs.
I do the same. I have Essential Tremor, so flying the drone in precision areas requires I use the pinch method, but when I'm out in the open, I'm thumbs all the way!

Reactions: Camino Ken
My favorite airplanes pinch pilot
Gernot Bruckmann. (Austria)

My Favorite Airplanes thumb pilot.
Gabriel Altuz (Puerto Rico)

My Favorite 3D Heli thumb pilot
Duncan Bossion

Favorite 3D Heli pinch pilot
Kyle Dahl (USA California)

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
I sometimes switch between the two, depending on what I'm doing.

Pinch Pilots tend to be more precise and thumb pilots quicker.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom