DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you charging remote controller from power bank?

If your battery can handle more amps and you charge it at 2amps for sure it will last longer than if you charge it always at 10A...

Can you please point, where DJI say about "during use" ?

You have to read between the lines in these Chinese translations ,lol . It's all in the last sentence .

"
FAQ:
3. Can I charge the Mavic's remote controller using a mobile power bank?
It is not recommended to charge the remote controller with a mobile power bank. This may damage the coulometer. Battery level readings for the remote controller may become incorrect, and the battery consumption speed may become greater than the charging speed."

If your battery can handle more amps and you charge it at 2amps for sure it will last longer than if you charge it always at 10A...

But only because of heat! And as I wrote: the load, in this case the controller decides how much current it will draw. That's why it's called current draw or AMP draw. The battery bank won't force current into the controller. That's not how this works.
With a controlled charge the battery will, well should never exceed a certain temperature, thus it won't have an impact on battery longevity. Especially if it uses some kind of controlled smart-charge algorithm in the controller.

Just look at our fancy smart phones nowadays. ;)

Let's be real, we don't know what DJI has put in there and how "smart" this controller and the charging circuit, its controller and the algorithm actually is.
And in 3 years this thing is useless anyway, and once the battery is depleted and almost dead, there will be $5 replacements on ebay straight from China.

Haha yeah but I don't like to waste and it's always a good point when selling it back a the right timing [emoji51]

But very interesting I didn't know about that

the output of the AC power bank for the USB ports is 5.0V 2.0A Max. This means between the 2 ports it will output up to 2A. So if only the RC is plugged in it will provide 2A but if you plug something else in such as a cell phone, it will drop to 1A per port..

It says on the back of the adapter that it's 2x 2A if I remember right....

What they say is that charging while draining may cause the battery gauge IC to lose track of what's happening and result in reduced battery life (e.g. you only used 20% of the real capacity but it thinks the battery is empty and shuts down). Nobody has enough data to know if that's really a problem but it makes it pretty clear that DJI won't cover that case.
You can charge with any power bank but should do it between flights with the controller off.
Then why they have all Apple devices to charge the remote. If what you saying is true then using Apple devices is putting us at risk.

Can you please point, where DJI say about "during use" ?
It's not obvious in the Chinglish sentence, but was reported by people talking to support directly and given a more complete answer.

All this DJI statement looks strange, because RC always charging from laptop when connected
During assistant-based firmware upgrade you don't have your phone draining on the controller.

Then why they have all Apple devices to charge the remote.
They don't. Apple devices charging the remote is an urban legend from people thinking their phone's battery couldn't drain that fast on its own so there had to be some current going to the remote, but that's completely wrong.

So we are truly restricted by the remote battery... [emoji53]

My phone drains it so much, it is a real dilemma...

Not completely true. you can actually plug your remote controller into a 2amp usb charge cable while using the remote for flying. Maybe someone can test this out and see if this is enough to maintain (and i emphasize maintain, not adding charge) the remote battery level during a flight. I suspect it would.

It's not obvious in the Chinglish sentence, but was reported by people talking to support directly and given a more complete answer.

During assistant-based firmware upgrade you don't have your phone draining on the controller.

They don't. Apple devices charging the remote is an urban legend from people thinking their phone's battery couldn't drain that fast on its own so there had to be some current going to the remote, but that's completely wrong.

IPhones **** their pants in even a slightly cold atmosphere. That's what many aren't counting. Mine does shut down in 15-20minutes at 0 Celsius (iPhone 6s+) í even replaced the battery just to figure out it doesn't matter, it's the same.

The load draws the current. Doesn't matter if your power bank can deliver 10 amps. If the controller only draws 2 amps that's all the power bank needs to deliver.

If it only delivers 1 amp then that's what the load will be drawing and it will take longer to charge.

This has no impact on battery longlifety.

Drawing more amps = more heat which is bad for batteries and electronics in general. Reducing the charging amperage will result in less heat. My 2 cents.

I'm charging my controller only with my battery bank. I have a xiaomi 10K mAh bank with 2.1A output.

I always plug my first spent battery into my RC via the little battery adapter DJI sells. Many, many flights and no issues to speak of.

Each subsequent spent battery (x4) is put on charge and by the time I'm done with the 4th, the 1st is charged and I start the cycle again. 24 x 7 flying, if I chose to do so.

I have a 10,000 mah power bank that I keep with me for emergencies. I forgot to charge my controller once and it was getting dark so I plugged in the RC into the powerbank and plugged my tablet into the USB port on the back of the RC and flew. It will charge during flight and that way I still have the tablet plugged into the RC for the camera view.

Reactions: tictag
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661