DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you getting any Christmas goody’s for your drone 2018

I’ve got a hand catcher, the wifeo_Oo_O while on our hols I was flying from the beach, took off on a platform but the wife hand catched it when the battery was low. But I now always use a good old fashion landing pad;)

Did you give her any instruction or just let her figure out how to do it! o_O "Go on honey just grab it by the belly and twist."

I have seen my own GF make incredible catch of flower bouquet at friends' wedding in high heels but the stakes were higher and I am pretty sure she would say NO WAY to Mavic, especially on boat!

However, I did find a good how-to article with videos:

How to Hand Catch a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Did you give her any instruction or just let her figure out how to do it! o_O "Go on honey just grab it by the belly and twist."

I have seen my own GF make incredible catch of flower bouquet at friends' wedding in high heels but the stakes were higher and I am pretty sure she would say NO WAY to Mavic, especially on boat!

However, I did find a good how-to article with videos:

Lmao:D

She used to do it before when I was flying my old Dji phantom many years ago, was funny though, every time she put her hand up to catch it the drone, it would sense there was an obstacle in the way and rise a bit higher. She thought i was me messing around.......

Cos I’m looking after Mrs P at home for the next week or so, I can fly every day weather permitting. She comes along with me still taking it easy though but I can fly.........ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Gonna try different areas now which I’m looking forward to;)

View attachment 66536
ah bless you do make a lovely couple

at long last finally got to fly today,went up my friendly farmers place got lots of video and some pics to share with you ,DJI_0006.JPGDJI_0027.JPGDJI_0012.JPGDJI_0018.JPGDJI_0015.JPGDJI_0026.JPGDJI_0019.JPGDJI_0023.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0010.JPG
    DJI_0010.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
at long last finally got to fly today,went up my friendly farmers place got lots of video and some pics to share with you ,View attachment 66575View attachment 66589View attachment 66580View attachment 66591View attachment 66583View attachment 66590View attachment 66585View attachment 66587

Glad you went flying today dad;) love all your photos, cracking scenery;) I should be out flying tomorrow, looks like we’ve got decent weather for quite a while now, yeahhhhh.....:cool::cool: about bloody time;)

Glad you went flying today dad;) love all your photos, cracking scenery;) I should be out flying tomorrow, looks like we’ve got decent weather for quite a while now, yeahhhhh.....:cool::cool: about bloody time;)
thanks son i am hoping to fly the PH3S tomorrow its about time it took to the air again and it does the batts good to get some use,as you say looks pretty stable the weather for the next few days,happy flying

at long last finally got to fly today,went up my friendly farmers place got lots of video and some pics to share with you ,View attachment 66575View attachment 66589View attachment 66580View attachment 66591View attachment 66583View attachment 66590View attachment 66585View attachment 66587

Hey OMM D :)
Great pictures, I envy you for this very nice location. Do you get from there all the good and fresh things for delicious meals? Meat, eggs, milk and all the delicious fruits of the surrounding area, everything from first-hand?

thanks son i am hoping to fly the PH3S tomorrow its about time it took to the air again and it does the batts good to get some use,as you say looks pretty stable the weather for the next few days,happy flying

I think the good weather is here for sometime dad, so make the most of it, I am;)

I wonna fly tomorrow through the day to test out my new filters;)

I have read many people here say hand catching is easy and I think its necessary to fly on and off boats. BUT I also have real fear of it. It seems particularly dicey if in small boat which may suddenly rock up and down or side to side. I did get smacked in hand once by a drone (not DJI) which turned on by itself when I picked up off ground (not sure why it happened possibly RTH activated when picked up). No serious injury but some blood and not anxious to do again! I wonder if something like this might be used?

View attachment 66493
Well, on a calm sea, when the boat is anchored and big enough, then take-off and landing is probably not a big problem. The start actually always succeeds.

A start from a slowly moving ground should also work well. But the ground will move away from the Mavic while trying to maintain its GPS-based position, and that could be a big problem for inexperienced pilots.

RTH takes the Mavic back to his recorded GPS starting point, he will return there and try to land. If the ground is not there, then we know what will happen :)

As far as I can remember, the old Mavics can not keep the distance to the water surface well. Therefore, there was the recommendation to fly above water without active ultrasonic sensors (Precise Landing OFF or so). This should work better with the new Mavics, so they will probably only go diving when the battery is empty :)
...However, I did find a good how-to article with videos:

I looked at these two videos where the hand catching is explained really well. Thanks for sharing Chip :)

I'm not sure, but somewhere I've also seen such 3D printed parts (handles) that can be mounted on the bottom of the Mavic to make hand catching easier. But all the extra stuff makes the Mavics even heavier.

And again ... Hand catching the Mavics can really cause serious injury because the blades have very sharp edges at the ends. The old Mavic does not have such sharp blades, but they too are dangerous. The blades will collapse on contact, but these little motors are very powerful.

For me, all that is nothing I really want to try. I always feel like my arms are not long enough anyway. Also, I do not like to fly over water any more. A total loss of the mavic is much more likely there. I believe the old fears return :-(

Hey OMM D :)
Great pictures, I envy you for this very nice location. Do you get from there all the good and fresh things for delicious meals? Meat, eggs, milk and all the delicious fruits of the surrounding area, everything from first-hand?
it is a nice spot @mnis they have mostly sheep on the farm,there are some horses and some beef cattle as well,have not seen any milk cows there there are milking herds in Wales,but in the higher regions they tend to be mostly beef cattle and sheep

it is a nice spot @mnis they have mostly sheep on the farm,there are some horses and some beef cattle as well,have not seen any milk cows there there are milking herds in Wales,but in the higher regions they tend to be mostly beef cattle and sheep

Dad, grab us a cow next time you’re there, bbq seasons coming up:D

Dad, remember we’ve got to host a bbq for all our friends around the world this summer;)

that kind of floats my boat

Thanks dad you’ve just reminded me;)

Chip another ship for ya buddy;)

View attachment 66694

Sweet! Like the colors and the reflections. Thumbswayup If you can get there when ship is being loaded or unloaded, you should try the hyperlapse. I am looking forward to experimenting with hyperlapse shots of shipping cranes this weekend. We have been having some gorgeous weather I wish I could get up at 5am like you and shoot the sunrises during the week. :)

Great! Do you make house calls? Lost a tree in the last windstorm which needs to be split! :)

View attachment 66702
would it be wrong to say
I'm get wo*d
..... looking at that wood.
.........................................................MMmmmmm Maple.
.It's been a very good year for Firewood
.....cR

When I first get firewood for next season I'm like......
tumblr_ly27zmuDU91qfjjglo1_500.gif

and like gathering firewood but know I'm no spring chicken anymore
after I split firewood my muscules hurts for long time afterwards
I'm like
....cR
ThirdVeneratedGuppy-size_restricted.gif

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member