DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you going to move from a Mavic 2 Pro to a Mavic Air 2? And why?

Camera, speed, battery life, new technology. I have the Mavic Pro 2. The $800 Air is superior in every way to my $1300+ Pro.

Definitely not, the Air 2's sensor is much smaller than the 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro and its 48MP is misleading instead it should be treated as a 12MP sensor:

Marketing departments really want you to believe you’re getting a Hasselblad-like image sensor, but the reality is that the Quad Bayer filter is just a clever (and effective) way of getting better-quality 12MP shots.

The Air 2 does look good and I think it does a great job bridging the gap between the Mini and the Mavic 2 series but I'd never consider one over the mavic 2 Pro, I bought it for its 1in sensor and it's been well worth the upgrade over the smaller Mavic 1 sensor.

Thank you for all your answers. Personally, I own a Mavic 2 Pro and if I will probably wait for the Mavic 3 Pro, I would say that I'm quite tempted by the specs of the Mavic Air 2. Considering the huge price difference between both models, I hope that some of the new features like the 4K resolution at 60 FPS, the Active Track 3.0 and the Hyperlapse in 8K will be available for the Mavic 2 Pro with a firmware upgrade. Otherwise I won't see why people would invest twice more money in a Mavic 2 Pro just for a 1 inch sensor and more obstacle avoidance capabilities.

Talking about the form factor, DJI has done a big improvement between the 2 models reducing the weight by almost 400 grams while improving the battery life. That's a huge step forward for me.

I just watched some of the available footage of the Mavic Air and even if the Macic 2 Pro looks still better in terms of pictures, I can already say that the image of the Air in video mode appears to be sharper than the image of the Pro which had softness issues especially in Full FOV mode.

Not to mention that the FOV of the air is much wider than the FOV of the Pro.

Last edited:
I thought of waiting for the Mavic 3, but it may have flight restrictions. Have the M2P, great piece of equipment still use it weekly.

The Mavic air 2 has features I need, longer flight time. Little smaller, lighter. Ordered one this morning, price is great will be a nice addition.

Possible flight restrictions on the next flagship is what’s keeping me from waiting, can’t see it not happening with the Mavic 3. So I ordered the newest lightest version, Mavic Air 2.

Paul

I thought of waiting for the Mavic 3, but it may have flight restrictions. Have the M2P, great piece of equipment still use it weekly.

The Mavic air 2 has features I need, longer flight time. Little smaller, lighter. Ordered one this morning, price is great will be a nice addition.

Possible flight restrictions on the next flagship is what’s keeping me from waiting, can’t see it not happening with the Mavic 3. So I ordered the newest lightest version, Mavic Air 2.

Paul

Thanks for your post. It's been a while that I didn't inform myself about the new flight restrictions that might come in the future. Do you already know more about it? I mean is it something that could affect all the countries or is it going to be applied in a few list of countries only?

Thanks for your post. It's been a while that I didn't inform myself about the new flight restrictions that might come in the future. Do you already know more about it? I mean is it something that could affect all the countries or is it going to be applied in a few list of countries only?
Have a hunch next flagship will have restrictions, could be wrong and I hope I am.

That’s my opinion, Please stick to your gut instinct you may be right and waiting for Mavic 3 may be a wise.

Most definitely Mavic 3 will be much better, especially with Osucsync 3?

Take care
Paul

even if there are improvements to the MA2 it is not meant as a replacement to the M2P or zoom ,the new features are DJIs attempt to give the Autel Evo2 and Skydio drones a run for their money, if i only had a MM then the MA2 would be a great move up the ladder in the mavic stable,and were i to be unlucky enough to have an issue with my trusty MPP ,then for the price point it seems to be a very good alternative to the current M2P of course there are those who simply must have the latest model and that is fine, but if i purchased one tomorrow i would then have three drones that i could not fly in the present lockdown, we should go with what makes us happy as consumers

Reactions: Dbez1 and Gindra
Have a hunch next flagship will have restrictions, could be wrong and I hope I am.

That’s my opinion, Please stick to your gut instinct you may be right and waiting for Mavic 3 may be a wise.

Most definitely Mavic 3 will be much better, especially with Osucsync 3?

Take care
Paul
It is so obvious that m3 series incoming. Dont understand how people cant see it.

nope, don't like these small light drones, just me so don't get all hissy but they feel and I say feel toyish to me, had an air but it just felt like a toy so sold it. was a good drone thou

Reactions: dioscuriII
No. I like how the M2P handles and I bought a ton of aftermarket stuff, mainly ND filters for it.

While the 4k 60fps is cool, it's probably the only main advantage, however the sensor is smaller.

If I buy another drone it will be the Mavic 3 Pro or whatever they call it.

Exactly my response. The images from the Air 2 are stitched images - you can do better on the M2P. I can see that the user who wants to use straight from the drone, without any work afterwards on the images or video, would benefit from this, but they probably don't own the M2P.

I will be waiting for the Mavic 3 Pro as any upgrade to the M2P will be mind-bogglingly (I know) better.

even if there are improvements to the MA2 it is not meant as a replacement to the M2P or zoom ,the new features are DJIs attempt to give the Autel Evo2 and Skydio drones a run for their money, if i only had a MM then the MA2 would be a great move up the ladder in the mavic stable,and were i to be unlucky enough to have an issue with my trusty MPP ,then for the price point it seems to be a very good alternative to the current M2P of course there are those who simply must have the latest model and that is fine, but if i purchased one tomorrow i would then have three drones that i could not fly in the present lockdown, we should go with what makes us happy as consumers
What makes you not fly because of the lockdown?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos