DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Artifacts and noise when tilting camera

Reactions
Hey guys noticing some artifacts and pixelation only when i tilt the mavic camera on 4k and 2k resolutions. Everything else seems fine only becomes pixelated when vertically moving the camera up and down. I have got a example of someone else with the same issue. Any sollutions? As far as i know we don't have any noise reductions like the p4 which sucks.

That looks like a bitrate/compression issue. I don't know if there is anything you can do to improve it, other than move more slowly. When filming at 4k/30, the bit rate is 60Mbps - its maximum write speed. If there is a lot of movement in the frame, then the bandwidth can't keep up with all the fine detail. Consequently, the compression artifacts begin to show up (globs of pixels).

The new Phantom 4 Pro uses 100mbps, and thus the visible artifacts are reduced.

ETA: if the write speed on your microSD card is not high enough, that may also contribute to this kind of artifacting...

Is this on a Mavic or Phantom?

That looks like a bitrate/compression issue. I don't know if there is anything you can do to improve it, other than move more slowly. When filming at 4k/30, the bit rate is 60Mbps - its maximum write speed. If there is a lot of movement in the frame, then the bandwidth can't keep up with all the fine detail. Consequently, the compression artifacts begin to show up (globs of pixels).

The new Phantom 4 Pro uses 100mbps, and thus the visible artifacts are reduced.

ETA: if the write speed on your microSD card is not high enough, that may also contribute to this kind of artifacting...

Is this on a Mavic or Phantom?
Thanks for that mate.

This is a mavic. The SD card is just the one that came with it. It's actually a replacement model for a previous issue. So it's a bit annoying. I'll try move more slowly i guess. Would some models have compression issues and some not? Because my previous one didn't have this issue or it was atleast less noticeable.

I've also noticed the Phantoms that have this issue actually have a 3d noise reduction option that when you turn it off fixes this which the mavic doesn't have :/

Thanks for that mate.

This is a mavic. The SD card is just the one that came with it. It's actually a replacement model for a previous issue. So it's a bit annoying. I'll try move more slowly i guess. Would some models have compression issues and some not? Because my previous one didn't have this issue or it was atleast less noticeable.

I've also noticed the Phantoms that have this issue actually have a 3d noise reduction option that when you turn it off fixes this which the mavic doesn't have :/
is the problem solved? i have the same issue, when the camera tilt footage looks awful. i'm using the sdcard that came with it also, it's lexar 633x 16gb. Dropbox - artifact & noise tilt mavic.mp4 here's the link. no color grading, art style and -1 sharpness. thanks!

Its because the mavic camera is brutal! I couldn't stand it, so got rid of it.. Takes a ton of work to get usable footage, :(

The only thing that helped me was reducing the sharpness from +1 to 0 or -1. And slowing down the camera tilt. I think this happens with all mavics so i don't think it's a fault. If DJI added 3d noise reduction so we could turn it off that would be a cure.

status update 7/2018 - issue with picture noise/grain/artifacts still there, Mavic Pro Platinum, only on 4K resolutions, FHD OK. Sharpness setting tested -1/0/+1/+2/+3, did not help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S