DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attention Long distance flyers: How far can I remote land and take off from ?

Phantomrain.org

Reactions
The idea is to fly out about 2300 ft and land on a dock on the lake, shut down and wait for the approaching storm, is it possible to Remote start again or am i dead in the water. lol
What if I dont shut down the drone and just wait , is it possible than ?

I have set up a webcam to watch the Dock so I would be able to see the drone land and take off and approach the dock >

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm.

The goal for us is to be able to Monitor the Lake Storm from the Home computer and take off from the Docking point to capture some Water Funnels on the lake and or some Lighting skies. So being able to remote would be a game changer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 1.50.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 1.50.35 PM.png
    582 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Can you land the drone without it automatically shutting down? Dunno, but mine always shuts down after the 4ft altitude hesitation and final landing.
This would be a way cool and useful feature.

As long as you have LOS you can shut the motors down after you land and restart them as long as it hasn't set long enough for the battery to run out of power .Have done it with mine several times just messing and used the camera pointed straight down to hit my target . Now I didn't leave it but for a minute or so as I was just trying something spun the motors back up and up she went. I would take smaller steps and do it over land just to be comfortable doing it if you never have but it is doable .
Now how long the battery will stay powered on after you kill the motors I haven't a clue .

As long as you have LOS you can shut the motors down after you land and restart them as long as it hasn't set long enough for the battery to run out of power .Have done it with mine several times just messing and used the camera pointed straight down to hit my target . Now I didn't leave it but for a minute or so as I was just trying something spun the motors back up and up she went. I would take smaller steps and do it over land just to be comfortable doing it if you never have but it is doable .
Now how long the battery will stay powered on after you kill the motors I haven't a clue .
Thanks... I have done this from my initially recorded home point. Makes sense that meeting the conditions you say I could do it at considerable distance. Gonna give it a try next outing to an area I frequent that is about a mile square. Just never occurred to me before. I’ll do a little experimenting with time, manual landings, etc.

Fantastic, that is what I was hoping for, been traveling and have that on my mind, cannot wait to try that. Thank you.;

I may be forgetting but I thought there was a video of someone in Singapore or Hong Kong or other points west (from here) landing on a beam of a skyscraper and than taking off again. Did a quick search and can't find anything.

A Mavic can't completelypower off on its own, other than super low battery. It can only stop the motors.
As you still have radio contact and sufficient battery, you can fly back up. At low altitudes and far distances, there's a good chance you'll lose signal. However in that case, it probably would return home.

Speaking of RTH, be aware your home point will have reset to the distant dock you took off from. You can change the home point to your mobile's location.

@Phantomrain.org @dirkclod @Thomas B @ff22 @Canuk

Here you go guys, an interesting video to watch. This guy took off from one location and landed it in another. Killed the motors, restarted them and came back home.

I know his drone wasn’t stationary for long but it all went well.?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is really awesome, and opens up a whole new method of flying, now it just a matter of how far that startup signal will travel and if LOS is really needed for it to work. Were going to try a 2500 ft today by just placing the drone on the dock and driving away and see if we can start it without a flight. Anyone know it that is possible ?

I think LOS is really going to be needed for this to work . Climbing up to the top deck of the house is likely the key.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
If you get a compass error doesn’t that sometimes not let you take off? If you do take off with compass error you might lose your drone.. compass error is what is most dangerous about this idea. We always joke that the initiation to our drone club is to fly a mile out to the lighthouse in the bay, land on its walkway, power down and fly back, but the main reason we would never do it is because of fears that the metal from the lighthouse will prevent us from taking back off. Flying to it is never a problem Even with spark

If you get a compass error doesn’t that sometimes not let you take off? If you do take off with compass error you might lose your drone.. compass error is what is most dangerous about this idea. We always joke that the initiation to our drone club is to fly a mile out to the lighthouse in the bay, land on its walkway, power down and fly back, but the main reason we would never do it is because of fears that the metal from the lighthouse will prevent us from taking back off. Flying to it is never a problem Even with spark

That’s only an issue with the Mavic Air. Other Mavic’s don’t get compass errors really. I calibrated the compass on my Mavic Pro the first time I flew it and haven’t since. Never had a compass error and I take off from metal things all the time.

Reactions: Thomas B

Yes Magnetic interference can happen to Any drone at any time , it is something that needs to be negotiated , and it really pays off to know your Environment and the landing point of the Remote landing to help with that.

No compass errors taking off from metal? I have got them with a phantom a spark and Mavic 2.

Just recently I landed on a wooden bridge that I was standing on. As soon as I landed I got compass error because of the steel reinforcement underneath. I left after that and the next time I flew I still got a compass error and message to recal that was the Mavic 2

My neighbor took off ( Mavic 2)from his deck not realizing there are metal pipes underneath. He got a compass error was able to take off but then went out of control into a house.

With phantom and spark I have had compass errors while flying long after take off.....those are hard to figure out ..

No compass errors taking off from metal? I have got them with a phantom a spark and Mavic 2.

Just recently I landed on a wooden bridge that I was standing on. As soon as I landed I got compass error because of the steel reinforcement underneath. I left after that and the next time I flew I still got a compass error and message to recal that was the Mavic 2

My neighbor took off ( Mavic 2)from his deck not realizing there are metal pipes underneath. He got a compass error was able to take off but then went out of control into a house.

With phantom and spark I have had compass errors while flying long after take off.....those are hard to figure out ..

The reason you have that lasting is that once you have any kind of Magnetic interference the Drone really has no way of fixing it because the drone is compromised until you land and take off again without the Interference .

I made this video to show exactly how Magnetic Interference works on the Phantom but applies the same to the Mavics. I demonstrate using a magnet in the phone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Tkoglin
I may be forgetting but I thought there was a video of someone in Singapore or Hong Kong or other points west (from here) landing on a beam of a skyscraper and than taking off again. Did a quick search and can't find anything.
It actually was the Shanghai World Financial Center (490 m), where a young chinese guy landed its Mavic on top of the sightseeing platform und motors were shut off. After the restart, the drone flew to the adjacent Shanghai Tower (632 m) and climbed way above its top to almost 1000 m above ground level. He had to do the intermediate landing and motor shut off to overcome the drone's built in 500 m altitude limit. The pilot himself was on the top of a lower building in some distance. Eventually the entire operation was successful.

Reactions: ff22
Quick update on the Remote Landings: Once the Mavic 2 Zoom was powered on , I was able to connect at about 500 ft , but could not connect at 1500.

At 1000 I did not have a good line of sight, which most likely made the difference.

The Goal is to have a Docking Station on the Boat where I can Remote turn on the drone using a push button something we already have set up and our using already.

We just need to figure a way to get the signal a little further .

Anyone have any ideas how how to Jump the signal further , I might be able to put something in a tree , lol

Having a remote drone sitting in a box on the drone would be so cool, worth the hassle to get it to work and once its in the air, would be visible for flight.

Will post the video soon and the Remote setup .

Reactions: Porky

Magnetic interference is different from a compass error. I get magnetic interference but that just means to get away from the metal. Compass error is when it’s bad enough the IMU can’t use compass readings

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kon_boz