DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode behavior

You did when you mixed up the RTH and Failsafe terms as I originally pointed out.
"Failsafe RTH" is one of the three "RTH" scenarios. "Failsafe" by itself does not mean anything. It's just a generic term.

I know you mean well, but you're providing a lot of incorrect information. Let's hope we don't confuse the OP ;)

"Failsafe RTH" is one of the three "RTH" scenarios
But there is no RTH scenario that applies if there is no GPS/compass, which is the scenario brought by OP.

You're stuck on these "3 RTH scenarios", but completely missing the hierarchy in the decision tree.
Failsafe RTH is only a possible reaction to a failsafe (= loss of RC signal) situation, that may be initiated if the conditions for it to initiate are met. It is not a top-level action. The top-level action is the loss of RC, and that either may trigger Failsafe RTH or not.

I know you mean well, but you're providing a lot of incorrect information.
I know you mean well, but you're providing a lot of incorrect information.

Let's hope we don't confuse the OP ;)
No problem as long as he doesn't read your posts ;)

I know you want to educate people. But in this case you clearly haven't grasped either how this works or what the different terms mean, and the result is completely misleading information for the poor guy and others who may come across it. It seems you're understanding it right, but using the improper terms so it ends up meaning something completely different.

Last edited:
Ok. So just to clarify: if my Mavic lost connection with my RC and it doesn't have any valid GPS signal, what's I'm supposed to do? Is there any thing I can do to prevent lost my drone in this case (assuming I can't prevent GPS loss, of course).

Ok. So just to clarify: if my Mavic lost connection with my RC and it doesn't have any valid GPS signal, what's I'm supposed to do?
Pray your favorite deity that it regains either GPS signal (so it can fly back home) or RC signal (so you can attempt to fly back home, or at least get some crash location). Help it a bit by trying to optimize antenna placement and/or move closer to it if you can.

Is there any thing I can do to prevent lost my drone in this case
No.

Last edited:
Ok. So just to clarify: if my Mavic lost connection with my RC and it doesn't have any valid GPS signal, what's I'm supposed to do? Is there any thing I can do to prevent lost my drone in this case (assuming I can't prevent GPS loss, of course).
The drone will start to descend unless the signal disconnect option is set to hover. In that case I would run towards the drone to reconnect and cancel the descend. Then you navigate it home visually. If you can't start moving the drone and keeping turning it until the drone's distance starts decreasing. Then when it gets close enough to hear, bring it in with your eyes and ears.

you clearly haven't grasped either how this works or what the different terms mean, and the result is completely misleading information for the poor guy and others who may come across it.
The Mavic manual clearly states that "Failsafe RTH" will be initiated if the remote controller signal is lost for 3 seconds. There's no need to try to reinvent the terms when they are defined in the manual. Like the other types of RTH, initiating Failsafe RTH does not guarantee the Mavic will return home ("RTH"). It just kicks off the RTH process and the end result will be determined by the Mavic's current situation.

Again, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this minor point. It's okay if we don't agree on everything. No worries, friend ;)

Is there any thing I can do to prevent lost my drone in this case (assuming I can't prevent GPS loss, of course).
If you're flying in a location that you know will cause a spotty satellite connection (e.g. inside of a deep canyon or between tall obstacles), you could set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover". That'll give you time to reposition yourself and hopefully reestablish the remote controller connection before the battery reaches the critically low level (at which point it'll land).

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

The Mavic manual clearly states that "Failsafe RTH" will be initiated if the remote controller signal is lost for 3 seconds.
You posted yourself a manual excerpt that gives an exception to that, AND the reason it's mentioned that way is only poor and confusing wording on DJI's part, if you wanted to help you'd make it clearer like I did by explaining it in "correct" words instead of just perpetuating DJI's confusing wording.

if you wanted to help you'd make it clearer like I did by explaining it in "correct" words instead of just perpetuating DJI's confusing wording.
There's no need to restate the terms into your own words (even if you think it's clearer). You just need to understand what they mean and you're golden. When everyone uses the terms from the manual, it makes feature-related discussions easier to understand and more productive.

When any of the RTH processes are initiated, the Mavic is never guaranteed to fly back to the home point. For example, fly the Mavic 5 feet away from the home point, press and hold the RTH button on the remote controller for 3 seconds (to initiate "Smart RTH"), and see what happens. When that process is initiated, the Mavic won't return home either. That doesn't mean you didn't initiate "Smart RTH" though. This same logic can be applied to any of the RTH types.

You just need to understand what they mean and you're golden. When everyone uses the terms from the manual, it makes feature-related discussions easier to understand and more productive.
Except the manual terms don't match what everybody other than DJI calls things. Anyone with a bit of common sense will be confused by them, and even more so if the search for generic drone information. The odd one out is DJI's manual, it is confusing on many levels, and in this case following it is not what you want.
If it was well written then for sure refer to it to have a good common ground, but it's not the case so in that regard it's best ignored/reworded.

When any of the RTH processes are initiated, the Mavic is never guaranteed to fly back to the home point.
Then by definition that is not an RTH, which is the whole problem with DJI documentation.
For example, fly the Mavic 5 feet away from the home point, press and hold the RTH button on the remote controller for 3 seconds (to initiate "Smart RTH"), and see what happens. When that process is initiated, the Mavic won't return home either. That doesn't mean you didn't initiate "Smart RTH" though. This same logic can be applied to any of the RTH types.
Hence the importance to detail special cases/exceptions, which you did not do, you said it always returns home.

Should be explained as "Failsafe initiates RTH, but be careful, what DJI calls RTH only means an attempt at returning home unlike everyone else, and that will fail if x, y or z..." becasue again the logical meaning of "RTH" for everybody else and when you use common sense is an actual return to home that works unconditionally.

you said it always returns home
I never said that.

Is English your first language? Perhaps that has something to do with the problem here. I suppose it would also be helpful if DJI used native English speakers to write their manuals.

Guys, please stop. 95% of this thread is you two arguing.
I appreciate your concern, but I'm not arguing. I'm just sharing my understanding of what occurs when the remote controller disconnects while flying in ATTI mode.

Same here, and can't stand when someone else does so incorrectly and misleads people.

I never said that.
You did say RTH is always initiated, which for anyone with a tiny bit of logic or experience with other systems means it always returns to home.
Again it's not a bad intention, but a failure to realise that the manual wording is bad, "non-standard" and either best ignored or explained in full detail becasue otherwise people will not understand it as they should.

You did say RTH is always initiated
That's correct.

for anyone with a tiny bit of logic or experience with other systems means it always returns to home
This is not true when talking about DJI drones. As I explained above, initiating any of the RTH processes does not guarantee the Mavic will return back to the home point.

Need another example? The Mavic could switch to ATTI mode after it starts flying back to the home point. If that happens, it'll auto land at its current location instead of finishing its journey back to the home point. In this scenario, RTH was also initiated, but the Mavic did not return home.

This is not true when talking
about DJI drones.
But there is much more than DJI drones in the world... and again their wording is often badly translated stuff that makes little sense with regards to established standards. Referring to that as is instead of correcting it is a mistake.

The Mavic could switch to ATTI mode after it starts flying back to the home point. If that happens, it'll auto land at its current location instead of finishing its journey back to the home point. In this scenario, RTH was also initiated, but the Mavic did not return home.
Then that needs to be mentioned in your answer.
If you don't want to explain it then just tell the guy which manual page to refer to and hope he understands, there at least even if the wording isn't good the exceptions are mentioned.
If you instead "explain" only part of it without mentioning the full behavior with all exceptions you're not doing any good and should not even answer.

Understanding how people are most likely to understand something is extremely important when you're writing documentation. Not everybody has that skill.

If you don't want to explain it then just tell the guy which manual page to refer to and hope he understands, there at least even if the wording isn't good the exceptions are mentioned.
If you instead "explain" only part of it without mentioning the full behavior with all exceptions you're not doing any good and should not even answer.
Please see this post. Everything was fully explained before you arrived.

If anyone else watching this thread is confused, perhaps they will speak up so additional points can be clarified as needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman