DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode behavior

@Kilrah and @msinger, tks for your response.

Just did a test few minutes ago and, just to help other people, what @msinger said is what actually happened here. So I configured my MP to "hover" and, when lost signal without GPS signal, had to walk in its direction to regain connection and control of my bird.

Tks a lot. I like to simply understand and train situations to know what to do in emergency cases.

I personally find msingers insistence on using the same terminology as DJI highly confusing. You've said multiple times that RTH will be initiated but that the drone won't return home!

It's incredibly poor use of English and one could justifiably ask you if it's your first language!

Everyone knows these Chinglish manuals need pretty liberal interpretation!

Reactions: Kilrah
Please see this post. Everything was fully explained before you arrived.
Again you said "RTH is always automatically initiated" "and "What the Mavic does when RTH is initiated depends on the settings in DJI GO and whether or not the GPS data can be used", which makes no sense at all. Yes that's what's stated in the manual, but it's only stated that way because it's chinglish, It's contradictory, makes no sense and is confusing.

Proper terminology/documentation would say that "a failsafe procedure is initiated" followed by the different options and conditions for each of them to succeed. And again that's what I stated in my very first post in this thread.

This was great, if anyone reading this wants a clear answer, just mute Kilrah. Msinger explained it perfectly, while Kilrah has misquoted and misinterpreted what will happen. Not only that, but he has adamantly advocated his misinformation. The irony runs quite deep.

I personally find msingers insistence on using the same terminology as DJI highly confusing. You've said multiple times that RTH will be initiated but that the drone won't return home!

It's incredibly poor use of English and one could justifiably ask you if it's your first language!

Everyone knows these Chinglish manuals need pretty liberal interpretation!

If you understand the functions of the GO4 app you wouldn't see it as poor use of English. RTH will be initiated because it is the 1st stage of Failsafe. In this case there is no GPS, which then restricts any further failsafe option to proceed. The Mavic will be commanded to land.

I understand it perfectly; it's just that the language used in the official DJI manual, by msinger previously, and by yourself just then is inappropriate.

Note that I am not disputing the actual process or events at all, just the way it's being described.

If you understand the functions of the GO4 app you wouldn't see it as poor use of English. RTH will be initiated because it is the 1st stage of Failsafe. In this case there is no GPS, which then restricts any further failsafe option to proceed. The Mavic will be commanded to land.

'RTH' = 'Return To Home' - as a generic English language phrase, as distinct from the DJI Chinglish version, denotes a very specific action - one that is not performed in the scenario discussed in this thread!

If the drone doesn't even start returning to home, then return to home cannot have been initiated!!!!!!!!
(italics to denote common English interpretation of the phrase)

It should be more correctly called something like 'signal loss failsafe'.

There is no atti mode feature based on how the OP asked his question.

Loss of signal commands failsafe. It does not fly away.

Hmmm I beg to differ on this one... On one of my first flights last night, in the open it went into ATTI Mode. The drone didn't drift, it flew off... literally! It was important lesson for me because it was also dark and I was keen just to get the thing in the air. I have the flight log to prove it. There were no stick inputs. It flew forwards, not drifting. That was concerning.

I bet Franzinator wont ask another question......Geez, like a bunch a Magpies in a squalking contest

Reactions: lolo780
So is this correct- If set to return to home, the AC will land immediately. If set to hover or land it will hover until the battery gets low and then land?

This has been a good post as it brings up a lot of possibilities on returns. Can some review the following for me.

1. If your Mavic goes into ATTI mode (without pilot intentionally doing it with foil), it's safe to assume you no longer have GPS, Compass or both. You will also see ATTI mode on the screen of the controller. You should still have RC control of the aircraft and thus can fly it back by VLOS or from the video feed on your iPad, iPhone, etc. While in ATTI mode, the drone will not hover but drift with the wind as it no longer has any GPS. Going into ATTI mode is possible with RC connection due to, due to magnetic interference, or failure of internal GPS and or Compass.

2. On the issue of RTH, which I will often use at the end of the flight. The aircraft should RTH if:
A RTH point was recorded at launch
You don't lose GPS or Compass during the RTH (which would put the aircraft into ATTI mode)
The aircraft will always climb to preset RTH height before attempting to RTH

3. If while flying and you lose RC (which would mean control and video?) for more than 3 seconds, you have 3 options.
RTH
Hover
Land

I have RTH selected in this case, as I have always figured it's the best option. In theory, the aircraft is headed back your
direction, and thus you have a better chance of regaining RC, and could then cancel the RTH. Obviously if while the
aircraft is flying back and it loses GPS/compass, then all bets are off as you have already lost RC.

Not trying to belabor this post, but I greatly appreciate the knowledge base this forum offers and after reading this post, I just wanted to check on these thoughts.

Paul Caldwell

So is this correct- If set to return to home, the AC will land immediately. If set to hover or land it will hover until the battery gets low and then land?
That's correct if your Mavic is flying in ATTI mode when the remote controller signal disconnects from the Mavic.

Reactions: Grizzo
If your Mavic goes into ATTI mode (without pilot intentionally doing it with foil), it's safe to assume you no longer have GPS, Compass or both. You will also see ATTI mode on the screen of the controller. You should still have RC control of the aircraft and thus can fly it back by VLOS or from the video feed on your iPad, iPhone, etc. While in ATTI mode, the drone will not hover but drift with the wind as it no longer has any GPS. Going into ATTI mode is possible with RC connection due to, due to magnetic interference, or failure of internal GPS and or Compass.
If the GPS receiver is not completely blocked, the Mavic will still be recording GPS data in many cases (you'll see it in the flight log). However, while flying in ATTI mode, the GPS data is not used to hold the Mavic's horizontal position. The other things you mentioned are correct.

On the issue of RTH, which I will often use at the end of the flight. The aircraft should RTH if:
A RTH point was recorded at launch
You don't lose GPS or Compass during the RTH (which would put the aircraft into ATTI mode)
The aircraft will always climb to preset RTH height before attempting to RTH
There are some cases where the Mavic will not climb to the RTH altitude before returning to the home point. See the "Return-to-Home (RTH)" section of the Mavic manual for more details.

If while flying and you lose RC (which would mean control and video?) for more than 3 seconds, you have 3 options.
RTH
Hover
Land

I have RTH selected in this case, as I have always figured it's the best option. In theory, the aircraft is headed back your
direction, and thus you have a better chance of regaining RC, and could then cancel the RTH. Obviously if while the
aircraft is flying back and it loses GPS/compass, then all bets are off as you have already lost RC.
The Mavic is only flown with the remote controller. If only the video signal disconnects (the downlink), you'll still be able to continue flying. If the remote controller signal disconnects (the uplink), the Mavic will RTH/Hover/Land (depending on your setting).

It is possible to cancel RTH once the remote controller signal disconnects. Assuming there is no chance the Mavic will crash into an obstacle on the way home, the RTH setting is usually the best option.

Thanks, msinger.

Paul Caldwell

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom