DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTN: Motors WILL START when arms are FOLDED

HeliFreak

Reactions
I just downloaded the new DJI Go and looking at the FAQ, it says the Motors will start if the arms are folded. There is no sensors to tell the arm positions. FYI all.

Well that's not the best. Not that anyone would purposely do it, but... thanks for the note. I would hope the manual says this in a prominent place.

Well that's not the best. Not that anyone would purposely do it, but... thanks for the note. I would hope the manual says this in a prominent place.
Not sure about the manual but the quick start guide does not.
The closest it says is "! All arms and propellers must be unfolded before takeoff." Also it says unfold the front arms before the rear. That's it.

Wow, can't believe they didn't put some sort of sensor in there, as smart as these things are. Means it will still try to fly if one arm isn't fully extended. One more thing to check if she isn't flying right. That's going to be a headache for customer service.

they will wish they had put a little contact sensor on each arm. Yes one more thing to go bad but...

I suspect if it was very close to locked in then the trust from the propeller would lock it properly, the most likely scenario of an issue is if someone is playing around with the remote whilst you're separately handling the Mavic, it does seem like a flaw to be honest, maybe a fix on Mavic 2!

I suspect if it was very close to locked in then the trust from the propeller would lock it properly, the most likely scenario of an issue is if someone is playing around with the remote whilst you're separately handling the Mavic, it does seem like a flaw to be honest, maybe a fix on Mavic 2!

That's 50:50, Depends on which way they spin. And even if correctly, might not make any difference depending on the friction in the joint.

I saw in one of the vids that you have to unfold the arms, but the props will open and seat/lock themselves on startup.

Awesome news!!
Remove 3 props and leave 1 attached. I now have a portable mavic lawn edger that does stabilised 4K. This thing is amazing!!!

Reactions: gckless
You know ... you have to open the garage door before you drive your car out -- just sayin... I mean, technically, you could drive through the door but I wouldn't recommend it.

Brian

I'll happy that there is no sensor(s) to see if the arms are unfolded or not.
One more thing to break when flying.

The Mavic is so small that it could be used as a stableized handheld camera also so there may be times that you are using it powered on without the intent of flying but folded up. Just make sure props are removed if used like that as damage is possible if blades are energized

The Mavic is so small that it could be used as a stableized handheld camera also so there may be times that you are using it powered on without the intent of flying but folded up. Just make sure props are removed if used like that as damage is possible if blades are energized
I believe the rear arms interfere with the operation of the gimbal when folded. Haven't tried it of course but I seem to remember having read it somewhere. I hope not as what you describe would be a good second use.

Last edited:
I hope that you are wrong.... Because that would be a real bummer!!!
If you look under: Mavic pro discussion and then look for the topic: Mavic Pro Photo Gallery posted by: msinger..... There are allot of really good photos there.... and I don't see how anything would interfere with the camera/gimbal when folded. Then again it is all speculation until we can get our hands on one.

I believe the front arms interfere with the operation of the gimbal when folded. Haven't tried it of course but I seem to remember having read it somewhere. I hope not as what you describe would be a good second use.

I hope that you are wrong.... Because that would be a real bummer!!!
If you look under: Mavic pro discussion and then look for the topic: Mavic Pro Photo Gallery posted by: msinger..... There are allot of really good photos there.... and I don't see how anything would interfere with the camera/gimbal when folded. Then again it is all speculation until we can get our hands on one.
I corrected my post, seems it is the rear arms when folded forward the might interfere with the gimbal. It was in a video I was watching, trying to find it. By the way, I have been to Bend many times as my brother lives in LaPine, love the Sisters area for riding.

I saw a video demonstrating this as part of a youtube test of the drone. The video conclude it was fine for this use only when moving slowly. Of course we'll have to see for ourselves...

I saw a video demonstrating this as part of a youtube test of the drone. The video conclude it was fine for this use only when moving slowly. Of course we'll have to see for ourselves...

If you walk it will pick up the bounce. You need a z-axis stabilisation or a hoverboard/skate board.

So the motors work when folded but not the cam and gimbal?

There was a review I watched last night which shows the Mavic being carried and the gimbal working. However, when he spun pretty quickly, the gimbal locked up briefly.

To me, this isnt something I would do, I would get an Osmo for handheld gimbal needs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya