DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization from FAA DroneZone

jkabaseball

Reactions
Hello,
I would like to fly my drone in the norther part of west Maui. There is an small airport over there so a lot of the area I want to fly in is controlled. I normally use the app and request and get automatic approval where I normally fly at home. It appears this airport doesn't have that and I need to request it online from the dronezone website.

I've looked over everything on the site and feel confident I can figure out the info I need. I was wondering how accurate I need to be. I need precise lat and long position and a radius. I don't really need a circular area and I'm right up against the 0 and 100 ft zones. If I'm a smig into the 0 with my radius will they deny it? There are a few different locations in various zones, 100, 200, 400.... I'd like, so each of those need their own request?

I'm not a commercially certified pilot, just recreational if that makes a difference. I've read if it is a 0 zone, there isn't a chance to get approval without being commercial, is that still correct?

I have a dji mini 2 if that matters. Most of this zone is enhanced warning, which seems like I would be able to fly anywhere in there w/o uploading my approval from the FAA if I get it.

Thanks for helping!

To fly in a 0 zone you are correct, part 107 would be required

To fly in a 0 zone you are correct, part 107 would be required
But considering he's going to be flying in Mawi, wouldn't they have different rules? Or is Mawi a part of the U.S.?

Hello,
I would like to fly my drone in the norther part of west Maui. There is an small airport over there so a lot of the area I want to fly in is controlled. I normally use the app and request and get automatic approval where I normally fly at home. It appears this airport doesn't have that and I need to request it online from the dronezone website.

I've looked over everything on the site and feel confident I can figure out the info I need. I was wondering how accurate I need to be. I need precise lat and long position and a radius. I don't really need a circular area and I'm right up against the 0 and 100 ft zones. If I'm a smig into the 0 with my radius will they deny it? There are a few different locations in various zones, 100, 200, 400.... I'd like, so each of those need their own request?

I'm not a commercially certified pilot, just recreational if that makes a difference. I've read if it is a 0 zone, there isn't a chance to get approval without being commercial, is that still correct?

I have a dji mini 2 if that matters. Most of this zone is enhanced warning, which seems like I would be able to fly anywhere in there w/o uploading my approval from the FAA if I get it.

Thanks for helping!
I've gotten a couple of these approvals. One was denied, and the other was granted. I would suggest that in the free-form section, just write everything you can think of that you'll do to mitigate risk. I'd specifically mention that you're aware of the 0' sector and that you'll stay the heck out of it, even if your radius goes into it a little bit.

To get the LAT/LONGS, you can do this:

1) Get a precise location on Google Maps.
2) In the URL, you'll see the lat/longs of the location, like this (20.9172925,-156.5964968)
3) Go to this web site: Degrees Minutes Seconds to/from Decimal Degrees and enter the decimal form of the lat/long in step 2, and use that output for the DroneZone authorization
4) Let us know how it goes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO