DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autolanding on its own?

Vin829

Reactions
Was flying the other day around dusk. Then it got dark enough that the sensors became inop so I decided to bring her back in. I lowered altitude a bit and all of a sudden it went into auto land from 200 feet up? WTH. lucky it landed safely about 500 feet away on someones lawn. Couldn't cancel the landing. Has anyone else had this?

Last edited:
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

At 1m 57s in your flight log, it shows you had the throttle in the full down position while the VPS was detecting your Mavic was close to the ground (even though it wasn't). You can see that here:

Log.jpg

When you have the Landing Protection setting enabled in DJI GO, that combination of events will cause the Mavic to auto switch to Forced Landing mode (since it thinks the Mavic is near the ground and you're trying to land). While this more commonly occurs when flying over reflective surfaces like water (the glare sometimes confuses the downward sensors), it could also occur if you've installed extending landing gear or have other things like a GPS tracker hanging beneath your Mavic. If you have items like that installed, you could remove them, fly again, upload your TXT flight log, and verify that the "VPS Altitude" column is showing 0 ft for the sections of the flight when your Mavic is above the VPS range (higher than 42 feet).

If you're running the current Mavic firmware, you can cancel Forced Landing mode by moving the throttle to the full up position. Another option would be to disable the Landing Protection setting in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

FYI, if you disable Landing Protection, your Mavic won't pause when it gets close to the ground as you're landing. Keep that in mind so you don't accidentally crash into the ground.

Reactions: Vin829
Thanks msinger. I should have throttled up but I froze and couldn't cancel the landing using the iPad. I think I will disable the landing protection. I'm guessing maybe it was dark out and the sensors got confused. I update the firmware today and flew it around and kept it close. All seemed to go ok. Will try a few more flights. Thanks again for your help

If you're running the current Mavic firmware, you can cancel Forced Landing mode by moving the throttle to the full up position. Another option would be to disable the Landing Protection setting in the following section of DJI GO:
I am on fw700, can i do that too? Full throttle up to cancel forced landing
Or will switch to sport mode will cancel the forced landing too?
If, it ever happen to me case

Reactions: Airtex
You can throttle up to cancel it in .700 too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS