DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autonomous Air Taxi Services

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions

Queensland Government planning to implement something, with Wisk Aero, for 2032 Olympics. Should be an interesting evening

I can’t think of anything worse. Flight software for traditional aircraft has been proven and undergoes extremely rigorous testing. The likes of Airbus and Boeing (mostly) spend significant money on testing for man-rated aircraft.

How much experience and testing has Wisk done? Especially when they’re considering autonomous flight with passengers onboard.

I can’t think of anything worse. Flight software for traditional aircraft has been proven and undergoes extremely rigorous testing. The likes of Airbus and Boeing (mostly) spend significant money on testing for man-rated aircraft.

How much experience and testing has Wisk done? Especially when they’re considering autonomous flight with passengers onboard.

Maybe an idea for these company execs and their families to test for X hours first 😝 ;)

edit ypo typo lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Maybe an idea foir these company execs and their families to test for X hours first 😝 ;)
Haha. I agree. The Queensland continue to bite of more than they can chew with no research. I can’t wait to sit in on this and try and keep a straight face

How much experience and testing has Wisk done? Especially when they’re considering autonomous flight with passengers onboa
I guess no one knows, hence my interest in this event

Haha. I agree. The Queensland continue to bite of more than they can chew with no research. I can’t wait to sit in on this and try and keep a straight face

If politicians somehow approve this prematurely, then they can sit in the back seat of these things with the company execs and all their families (that won't happen, will it ?!).

Let the World get major autonomous drone deliveries happening (extremely) reliably first !

I went and read the Eventbrite blurb a bit more carefully, in case it was some sort of 'pilot on board' type of service to start up, but no Wisk Aero are talking autonomous.

Also noted SE councils are behind this too . . . are state govco involved ?
Quite a story really seeing a local council group of mayors behind this and not state level.

Didn't see 2032 Olympics mentioned in that, but hey in 10 years this very may well be off the ground (ha ha).

If politicians somehow approve this prematurely, then they can sit in the back seat of these things with the company execs and all their families (that won't happen, will it ?!).

Let the World get major autonomous drone deliveries happening (extremely) reliably first !

I went and read the Eventbrite blurb a bit more carefully, in case it was some sort of 'pilot on board' type of service to start up, but no Wisk Aero are talking autonomous.

Also noted SE councils are behind this too . . . are state govco involved ?
Quite a story really seeing a local council group of mayors behind this and not state level.

Didn't see 2032 Olympics mentioned in that, but hey in 10 years this very may well be off the ground (ha ha).
Yea. I got invited by state gov for this one. They are looking closely with olympics in mind.
I think they are dreaming

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
A good event last night. The aircraft these guys are developing is amazing. Its intended use though i think is a dream. 6B084D4B-27D8-4FBD-AEE4-131F85056B5F.jpeg5589CB81-4169-40E1-8790-0C0AF8828DDE.jpeg27A09661-4C0C-48EE-BC19-EB15E6FAA899.jpegC347ACB2-1766-4CE8-A1C0-0E75D2CE7540.jpeg

The prop design is certainly unique, but look like an odd design for VTOL and lift.
I would have thought a regular shape prop would be more efficient.

Maybe in a decade air taxis might be a regular thing, but they need to get autonomous land vehicles working 100% first, and have people get used to them . . . otherwise who's going to get in one of these in a hurry ?

Despite them being marketed for the every day joe, i believe these will be for the rich, hopping between work venues and home.
These props were experimental when they were playing with battery endurance, the next generation has moved back to more standard style

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Despite them being marketed for the every day joe, i believe these will be for the rich, hopping between work venues and home.

Oh, I though this was the supposed air taxi type operation, but of course the well off could find them useful for work / local travel, whether privately owned / leased. or used as an air taxi type service.

Even so, an air taxi service would likely start offering it in a fairly exclusive way (limo of the air) to get the concept off the ground (no pun intended), then start diversifying to other levels of client as they expand both tech and a fleet.

It's the trust thing on any level that is needed first.

They are pitching it as an air taxi type thing, but i agree with you, long way from that. BUT… someone has to start somewhere and i commend these guys for that. It was a 2hr presentation, and covered everything from the airframe, verti-ports, airspace integration, command and control of these autonomous birds, marketing and legislation. Lots of work done, lots still need to be done.

So many technical answers for technical questions, but they were vague when i asked how a simple bird strike, smashing through the canopy, would be handled

So many technical answers for technical questions, but they were vague when i asked how a simple bird strike, smashing through the canopy, would be handled

Perhaps speeds will be kept to a level that that might be almost a negligible issue, of course one has to weigh up the risks of such travel, on an individual level and on an authoritive level.

I'd say that although the risks of a serious automobile crash would be FAR more likely in ones day to day life than a bird strike on a passenger drone, it's the terror factor that will put many people off, falling from a great height is much more likely to result in a fatality.

I'd be more worried about a bird strike on props than a windscreen though, we know what happens in the air when something affects props.
Normal props structure and resistance to a bird strike could probably be overcome with ducting, not too hard to work that in to protect props at least somewhat from contact.

they are planning 90mph speeds and only flying low altitude right where birds tend to be. Sure it may not be something that could happen regularly, but i think it is a reasonable risk that i would be considering if i had to develop a risk assessment for.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803