DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot Airspace video (and it works)

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
Hey all
Attached a video from today where I was finally able to have one drone, following another drone.
I've tried to have my Spark following my Inspire 2 but that didn't went very well (don't know yet why).
But the Inspire 2 was able to follow the Spark and that worked very fine.
I've tried to make a screen shot of the procedure but that didn't work.
I'll try that some other time.
Anyway... it works and if any questions, let me know

yes I have suggested this several times on discussions.
I hope to have the chance to try it when hook up with another drone pilot I know.
also will use it for sports events, have runner/activity run with mobile in pocket and track that to get good shots.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
I have tried the Airspace mode with two devices before and that worked very well too. But this was the first time with two devices AND two drones.
Man, Autopilot is the best drone app by miles

Encouraged by the video of the Inspire following the Spark at close range. Drone following drone is not my thing (nor are waypoint missions), but I think if Autopilot/Airspace can allow the DJI drones to match what the action sports follow-me drones (Staaker and Airdog II) do best, then we're really talking.

Not sure if the GPS on an IOS device (attached to the athlete) will be up to the task of following rapid direction changes, but hopeful that it is. Otherwise hoping that a decent dedicated bluetooth GPS device will make the difference.

If you want to use a device, it must be network (mobile phone tracking) or peer-to-peer (drone tracking). No Bluetooth.
I don't use these options on a daily basis but have always been interested.
I've tried tracking a couple of times with my Jeep and that worked fine.
Also tracking a friend on his Zero motorcycle (promoting video) worked good.
Most important.... check your surroundings to have enough free space.... The sky is the limit

If you want to use a device, it must be network (mobile phone tracking) or peer-to-peer (drone tracking). No Bluetooth.
I don't use these options on a daily basis but have always been interested.
I've tried tracking a couple of times with my Jeep and that worked fine.
Also tracking a friend on his Zero motorcycle (promoting video) worked good.
Most important.... check your surroundings to have enough free space.... The sky is the limit

Couldn't you link the improved GPS device to the IOS device, a put them in the same container attached to the athlete.

Certainly understand the collision avoidance issues. I'd be using it for watersports like surfing/kiteboarding/foiling/windsurfing; generally fixed altitude with far fewer collision issues, but very rapid direction changes and reasonably close-in filming distance.

The "improved" GPS device is just an iPhone/iPad with a barometer.
And yes, I've tried it.
Works very good with my Inspire. Because of the gimbal and higher speeds

The "improved" GPS device is just an iPhone/iPad with a barometer.
And yes, I've tried it.
Works very good with my Inspire. Because of the gimbal and higher speeds
I was under the impression that a built-in IOS gps (or any smartphone gps) does not quite match base performance of a dedicated GPS due to both chip set and receiver (antenna). Nothing to do with barometers or accelerometers, cell tower triangulation, etc. Maybe this has changed for the latest smartphones, don't know.....

I'll be testing Autopilot/Airspace with an Iphone 8+ or an Iphone 6 attached to the athlete

You ALWAYS need a device capable of running Autopilot. So iOS it is.
And due to the working principle of Autopilot, your device need a barometer. Simple as that

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes