DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autostart Video on takeoff for Mavic 3

pberg

Reactions
Is there a way to auto start Mavic 3 video on takeroff? There is a setting on the DJI FPV to automatically start video on takeoff, but not on the Mavic 3. I'm looking for something that is idiot proof so I don't forget to start the video.

I can't say about DJI fly. I haven't seen any setting like that. I think that Litchi has that feature but is a long way from being available for the M3.

For me the only idiot-proof things I can do for myself is make things sequenced and habitual. Taking off the gimbal cover is something not so obvious on other drones than the M3. Easy to forget. So I try to do it before opening the legs, but in my mental checklist at least work on doing it before powering on the drone.

It's like practicing a musical instrument. If you break down the actions and practice them again and again, even if it's "dry fire" practice you won't need auto start. Just always think "Motors on-> Start video" and do it each and every time. Within a few reps you won't forget.

Good tip, I'll practice that discipline

DJI should definitely add auto-video on takeoff. For such a sophisticated drone, that function should be pretty easy to provide on the M3 and others.
If people on this list have the same feeling as I do, please email DJI SUPPORT and complain. Maybe they will incluide it in their next update. Much easier to turn video off rather than miss an important shot
Send to

[email protected]

Good tip, I'll practice that discipline

DJI should definitely add auto-video on takeoff. For such a sophisticated drone, that function should be pretty easy to provide on the M3 and others.
If people on this list have the same feeling as I do, please email DJI SUPPORT and complain. Maybe they will incluide it in their next update. Much easier to turn video off rather than miss an important shot
Send to

[email protected]

To play devil's advocate, there is a downside to having video auto start: Filming drains battery power. If you're filming when not needed it reduces the flight time of your battery. So, with that auto start feature one would have to remember to turn it off when not wanted. Personally I think it's better for us to be in control of our equipment and not rely so much on technology where practical.

Perhaps the following is beating a dead horse to death. But to strengthen my point, I guess I'm old school, having learned to take photographs, on film, with no in-camera meters, no motor drives, no auto focus, no auto exposure, no auto anything. And you know what? It was no big deal. It's rare that I missed an exposure or had an out-of-focus frame or even missed the peak of a shot. Habituation created consistency and the consistency created dependability and confidence. And all of that allowed my focus on creating the image, not what was going on in the camera. Just sayin'.

With the new waypoints you can set the first waypoint to auto start the video and the last to auto stop the video. As best as I can tell that is the only way to do an auto start for other than a master shot or similar preprogrammed flights.

Is there a way to auto start Mavic 3 video on takeroff? There is a setting on the DJI FPV to automatically start video on takeoff, but not on the Mavic 3. I'm looking for something that is idiot proof so I don't forget to start the video.
Essentially being a frugal person (my parents taught me about the depression), I have a tendency to save my SD card memory until I am ready to film. So I don't wasn't to turn on the recording until I want to start my filming. Rarely have I forgotten and failed to get the video on the card.

In my DJI FPV, for instance, there is the OPTION to activate auto-start video or not. That way, each pilot's personal preference can be accommodated. I would just like the option to auto-start videos. I'm guessing it is a pretty simple option for DJI to add. My preference would be to definitely use it on the Mavic 3 to ensure I don't miss an important shot by mistake.

Add it to your preflight checklist, and just follow the checklist!

I contacted DJI Support via chat at

Although the feature is not available at this time, they did pass my concerns along to the delelopers to consider for a future release

If others are interested in thie "autostart video on takeoff" feature added to the M3 (or others) I encourage you to take a minute to chat with DJI and ask them pass your requwest oin to the developers to raise therir awwarness to the need

I contacted DJI Support via chat at

Although the feature is not available at this time, they did pass my concerns along to the delelopers to consider for a future release

If others are interested in thie "autostart video on takeoff" feature added to the M3 (or others) I encourage you to take a minute to chat with DJI and ask them pass your requwest oin to the developers to raise therir awwarness to the need
See post #8 above.

I hate to disappoint you, but the generic response you received is similar to the Suggestion Box at a business with a hole in the bottom that goes directly into the trash can below it. DJI doesn't implement features based upon the number of votes received for a particular idea. If they had wanted to implement this capability, it would clearly have been done by now. They decided a long time ago that they want recording video it to be a manual, conscious choice, and not automatic.

Reactions: pspec
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor