DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Avata 2 - can it look down and not have prop guards in the view?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The current Avata shows the prop guards when looking down. Drives me crazy. Can the new Avata 2 look down with no prop guards in the view?

The design certainly appears to solve this problem. It still won't point down 90°, but the limit has increased to 85° from 80 on the Avata.

Heading home with mine now. I’ll check and report back once I’m all charged up

Reactions: Torque
I've seen videos and it can show the prop guards when the drone points down at nearly it's extreme but it's much better. I tried to order one for my drone trip from Phoenix back home but it would have cost another 100 in tax so I'll wait till I'm back to AK where I will have no tax :). I did order a Controller 3 which is already back ordered :).

I've watch YouTube videos and in one a guy was mentioning that even stopping on the Avata 1, from the sudden braking, showed the prop guards, but that this problem doesn't happen on the Avata 2.

I get my Avata 2 today, so I will verify what you mention about them showing when the camera in angled down to it's maximum. But I could see how the stopping on the Avata 1 showing the prop guards would have annoyed me.

Last edited:
In hover looking straight down you can still just see the drone in shot. Much better though

Reactions: MotoSavy
In hover looking straight down you can still just see the drone in shot. Much better though

I'm thinking that's an acceptable compromise given the type of drone. My thinking is just that this is not the drone to be hovering and shooting straight down... That's one of the things a camera drone is designed for.

FPV drones don't hover. Taken to their Manual flight mode roots, which outside of the DJI offerings Manual is all there is for most FPV birds, "hover" really isn't in the lexicon.

The wide FOV of the lens is another aspect of FPV, and is part of what makes it hard to completely eliminate this problem in a cinewhoop design.

When flying traditional FPV in Manual, remember that the gimbal is set to some fixed positive angle, depending on how fast you want to be going, usually between 15° and 45°... Never set looking down.

I agree. Never shoot straight down with this drone. Only did so to answer someone’s question

I agree. Never shoot straight down with this drone. Only did so to answer someone’s question

DJI making their FPV drones also include N and S mode flight with all the assistive technology and features has been wonderful in opening the experience to a lot more people, which IMO is great.

It's also tempted everyone, me included, to treat the Avata like a camera drone at times, and the limitations really stand out then and remind you it's a cinewhoop design with a single axis gimbal.

Land and get out the Mini, Air, or Mavic 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: davery87 and Torque
DJI making their FPV drones also include N and S mode flight with all the assistive technology and features has been wonderful in opening the experience to a lot more people, which IMO is great.

It's also tempted everyone, me included, to treat like a camera drone at times, and the limitations really stand out then and remind you it's a cinewhoop design with a single axis gimbal.

Land and get out the Mini, Air, or Mavic 😁

It is my first FPV drone so I do appreciate the assistive technology. I also ordered the FPV Controller 3 so after I get proficient at it, I can try manual mode.

Agreed, for smoother cinematic videos, a non FPV drone will do a better job. But, I have seen some great indoor footage with an FPV drone doing Real Estate shoots. Which probably wouldn't be possible on a regular drone.

Agreed, for smoother cinematic videos, a non FPV drone will do a better job. But, I have seen some great indoor footage with an FPV drone doing Real Estate shoots. Which probably wouldn't be possible on a regular drone.

Yes! This is, in part what some of us find so exciting about the camera improvements. Some will argue, but a case can be made this pretty much eliminates the need to mount a GoPro for most applications.

I just wish they'd put the Mini 4 Pro image processor in the Avata 2, with same imaging feature set. Guessing they didn't to keep the cost down, and it's not a camera drone.

Yeah, but it is a cinewhoop...

Reactions: MotoSavy
Yes! This is, in part what some of us find so exciting about the camera improvements. Some will argue, but a case can be made this pretty much eliminates the need to mount a GoPro for most applications.

I just wish they'd put the Mini 4 Pro image processor in the Avata 2, with same imaging feature set. Guessing they didn't to keep the cost down, and it's not a camera drone.

Yeah, but it is a cinewhoop...
The Avata 2 is suppose to have the same camera as the Action 4. So you can select RockSteady and HorizonSteady. The HorizonSteady should work great for indoor video. It will keep the horizon horizontal, but you do lose some width.

I use HorizonSteady on my Action 4 on my motorcycle helmet and for that the loss of some angle is acceptable. But not sure in tight quarters, if that loss will be too much.

It took me some time last night getting everything connected, activated and getting the Care Refresh for it.

Today I have been busy with other stuff, so I haven't had time to play with it at all.

Going to have dinner and after that I will check the RockSteady and HorizonSteady to see how they work out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom