DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average age of pilots on the forum

Proud to say I am 83, and into photography since age 8 years old. I've been through every phase, including my own dark room, enlarger, trays, etc. Started with pre-Nikon cameras,, then first Nikon, the Nikon F, and stayed on the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) pathways for years, but stopped at Nikon D750. Got into timelapse at age 75 and into drones age 78. Then video editing. I've been to over 100 countries, and to African safaris 13 times. Never had more fun than when I am flying the drone. So far, have resisted the mirrorless systems.

Dale
Miami
Dale, it's fun to look back on your travels through hundreds of photos. My wife is a photographer, too. She has had a Sony, a Nikon and got her first Leica 5 years ago. Like you, she started in the dark room as well with the developer, stopper and finisher. Digital photography is amazing.
She complains to me that she has to work hard for the perfect picture and all I have to do is put up a drone.LOL
I am going to show her your post. She will love it.

I'm not sure if the forum staff has the ability to run averages but it would be interesting to know the average age of pilots on this forum. I see a lot of guys my age (60s) and above.
I take comfort in knowing that 10 years from now I will still be flying. I think engaging in a hobby that requires skills on several levels keeps us young.
I have a friend who is a psychologist. He says drone pilots should never develop dementia as, requiring so many senses to be running at the same time (sight, touch, hearing, 3d spacial awareness, muscle memory and computer skills etc) causes the brain to continually develop new neural pathways and enhance brain plasticity. Me, I just enjoy the flying!!

Actually, this is very refreshing for me. Until recently, I was the old guy nicknamed "Yoda" at work...but now retired at 62...so being the not-so-old guy is great! It's all very exciting -- new life, new hobby...love to fly, love to edit video -- so this is as close to the perfect hobby I could think of! Started about six years ago with a Phantom...a bit of a hiatus but now that the kids are all grown and out of college, between spending time with my lovely bride and this hobby, I'm set!

Last edited:
i think the age demographic is largely based on how much time semi retired ,and retired members have to do their flying ,and also spend time editing their videos ,and also that reflects on the amount of time they have to spend on the forum itself
True. I am doing a lot more flying now I'm retired. Got more time for it, and flying midweek means I don't have to cancel flights because there are too many people around.

You can always set up a poll to figure out the age average.
Proud to say I am 83, and into photography since age 8 years old. I've been through every phase, including my own dark room, enlarger, trays, etc. Started with pre-Nikon cameras,, then first Nikon, the Nikon F, and stayed on the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) pathways for years, but stopped at Nikon D750. Got into timelapse at age 75 and into drones age 78. Then video editing. I've been to over 100 countries, and to African safaris 13 times. Never had more fun than when I am flying the drone. So far, have resisted the mirrorless systems.

Dale
Miami
I just passed 85 with Multi Engine, Instrument & 1200+ hrs as a private pilot in the past. Getting my FAA107 license was as much a thrill as getting the other's years ago. Enjoying the Mavic Air now.

Pilot_Twin

I just passed 85 with Multi Engine, Instrument & 1200+ hrs as a private pilot in the past. Getting my FAA107 license was as much a thrill as getting the other's years ago. Enjoying the Mavic Air now.

Pilot_Twin
Yes... But did you pass your drivers license test? :cool:
Congrats on reaching 85. The Part 107 test is no joke. I'm sure with all your pilot training you have minimal studying to to. I was surprised at how many fixed wing, weather and communications questions there were on the test.

Agree with OMN,I when working did not have the time for hobbies, drones were not invented when I was younger, but having prepared for retirement early in my career I can now enjoy my free time doing what I want, motorcycling and Drone flying. Am a retired Pro Photographer and find the images from my drones to be amazing. When I think back to the time when 36 images on a roll of film was quite expensive now I can take hundreds. Sat at my computer is also far easier than spending hours in my darkroom. Sending images to clients at the click of a button is in my eyes amazing. If I was granted a wish a would wish that digital photography was invented when I was a lot younger and the images I could have captured with a drone , again amazing, I have been up in Cherry Pickers, dropped my Nikon F5 from one, clients put me up onto scaffolding platforms, gosh if only I had my Inspire then, memories of the days of wet photography are wonderful but the ease of digital is brilliant, cheers Len
80 years old now and flying an Inspire 1, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic2Pro and now the Mavic Mini 2, also riding a Honda CBF600, cheers Len

I'm not sure if the forum staff has the ability to run averages but it would be interesting to know the average age of pilots on this forum. I see a lot of guys my age (60s) and above.
I take comfort in knowing that 10 years from now I will still be flying. I think engaging in a hobby that requires skills on several levels keeps us young.
91 and still flying. I tend to stick with still photos but still thoroughly enjoy the hobby. I have said on this forum before that doing something new occasionally keeps one mentally active and, with our hobby, also physically active.
I lost my 93 year old brother in 2020 to covid and flew some of his ashes out to sea in front of his family and released them with a drop system. We were for many years keen anglers in those same waters.
On the subject of something new I saw a message

I have a year on you.and still plan on flying ten years from now.
Have a good day

50'S here. I tried getting into the gas powered heli modelling thing in my teens , but never had enough money for repairs , so I sold it. I tried the drone hobby 15 years ago, but I wasn't happy with the cameras or tech. Only in the last 6-7 years has the tech and affordability improved enough for me to get back into it.

Reactions: Chris4koi
Just looking at the posts here, there is so much experience and knowledge...great stuff!

i think the age demographic is largely based on how much time semi retired ,and retired members have to do their flying ,and also spend time editing their videos ,and also that reflects on the amount of time they have to spend on the forum itself
this hobby does take up a lot of time and when people are younger they have family and work commitments, that lesson considerably once they retire
of course that does not mean that we dont have grandkids and younger family members to assist ,but overall we are better placed to be able to give the time to this hobby that it requires,and not forgetting one more thing, we do tend if we are lucky ,to have more spare resources available, to afford the ever rising costs that this hobby involves
I agree. Those of us who no longer work, particularly if largely home-bound for various reasons have a lot more time on our hands for stuff like this, hobby or pro, to fly and/or chew the fat on this forum. I'm sure we won't see much participation from those in their 30's and 40's who have 80 hour work weeks and/or small children.

Edit:
I'm probably a bit on the older side of the spectrum, but after 48 years of still photo experience, 37 years as a professional photographer, 20 of them as a full time professional and the remainder a semi-retired professional, I found that drones reinvigorated my interest in stills and re-opened a video interest. After approximately 400-500 weddings and events followed by 10 years of product photography I suffered from been there/done that syndrome. I love the challenge of the new exciting perspectives and having to learn to fly something to film something.

Last edited:
Learned how to develop film and photos from my box brownie when I was 10..
Learned how to process colour at 13 as they had a colour lab/ darkroom at college.
Only ever used it as a hobby though..
Built my first RC plane at 11 and demolished it on first flight.
Joined a cub at 50 and gave it another go. Got hooked and now have 59 aircraft.. planes, gliders, helicopters and drones.
Used taped to stick a camera to my second plane (found Velcro worked on others).
Worked my way up through various second hand drones , building a few race drones ,so I can follow some of the aircraft around and film them flying.
First new one was dji mini and then evo2 pro 6k. Very happy with results from both of them.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I have 3 drones, two MP's and the MM2. Enjoy them all.

Reactions: Sparc343
How nice to read all the respondents above who are well pleased with their marriage of flying and photography.
For most quite a step up from as a kid flying a brown paper kite and trying to take photos of it with a box camera.
Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard