DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aviation Observation/Incident

jonesFoto

Reactions
Well, this is an odd one, and I'm not even sure which Forum Category to post it in, but here goes:
I’d like to report an aviation observation/incident that occurred this morning at 05h55, over 45.577937, -75.849199, in Ottawa Class C airspace. My wife woke me to observe a formation or “squadron" of aircraft, visible through our skylights, directly over our bed. I took high-powered binoculars downstairs to observe from an outdoor upper deck. 20 to 30 aircraft were observed, flying in a generally straight line at uneven spacing, but uniform velocity. The course was from WSW to ENE. Altitude was difficult to gauge: higher than 1000’ but beyond that hard to say. Their speed indicated that they were likely to be jet aircraft, although in a few cases the linear spacing would have made jet wash an issue, I would think. If they were turboprop aircraft they were certainly moving at a good clip. They may have been sUAV’s, although 20 - 30 drones at considerable altitude would be difficult to explain as well. We observed their flight for about four minutes. Through the binoculars I saw no indicator lighting, just a cold white light from each craft, as bright as a star, and far brighter than a satellite. The RCAF tells me they weren't theirs (they don't have those kinds of numbers at any one base), and Transport Canada is swamped with COVID-19 related issues, of course.

I've got a Part 107 cert, and grew up on USAF bases, surrounded by the B-52's my dad flew and the tactical aircraft that supported them. I have no idea what we saw this morning, but I sure am open to some suggestions. And no, I'm not suggesting that ET was flying overhead - I'm not a nut job, I'm just pretty baffled. Thanks for your patience/interest, and stay safe!

Could it have been some of Elon Musk's starlink satellites? I have read reports of people seeing them saying they deploy in a straight line. I'm not sure when the last launch was though. Maybe something to look into?

Reactions: jonesFoto
Could it have been some of Elon Musk's starlink satellites? I have read reports of people seeing them saying they deploy in a straight line. I'm not sure when the last launch was though. Maybe something to look into?

There are currently three Starlink trains, but none was over that location at 0555 local this morning.

There are currently three Starlink trains, but none was over that location at 0555 local this morning.
Sar104, any ideas? I was kind of counting on somebody like you, given your previous posts, to make a suggestion that seemed....reasonable.

Sar104, any ideas? I was kind of counting on somebody like you, given your previous posts, to make a suggestion that seemed....reasonable.

From the description I was really expecting it to be Starlink. The only other realistic option was a military deployment, but it sound like you ruled that out. Could you see anything at all apart from the individual lights? Any shape?

The more I learn about Starlink, the more likely it appears that that’s what we witnessed. But you say none of their systems were in our vicinity early this morning? How are you tracking their location? To address your question, no, I couldn’t discern any particular shape or pattern to the objects. Just light. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten horizontal on the deck to achieve some visual stability, but I had just been rudely awakened by my wife! And of course, I made a living as a filmmaker, but did I have a camera to hand? Hah!

The more I learn about Starlink, the more likely it appears that that’s what we witnessed. But you say none of their systems were in our vicinity early this morning? How are you tracking their location? To address your question, no, I couldn’t discern any particular shape or pattern to the objects. Just light. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten horizontal on the deck to achieve some visual stability, but I had just been rudely awakened by my wife! And of course, I made a living as a filmmaker, but did I have a camera to hand? Hah!

If they were aircraft up high, then shape would be difficult to discern.
Would explain the white light appearance (reflection from the morning sun).

I wouldn't expect any sort of military personnel to respond openly if asked about this, and it's possible some may not even be aware if some sort of military exercise was being conducted.

If they were aircraft up high, then shape would be difficult to discern.
Would explain the white light appearance (reflection from the morning sun).

I wouldn't expect any sort of military personnel to respond openly if asked about this, and it's possible some may not even be aware if some sort of military exercise was being conducted.

With decent binoculars, any aircraft in sunlight should have a visible shape. But that was one hour before sunrise - no aircraft would be high enough to produce a flare.

Well, I think the mystery is solved: when my wife was awake this morning at 4am or so, she was using her Star Map or some similar app, and lo and behold, Starlink was displayed in the same general portion of our sky as what we witnessed the night before. Looking at some YouTube videos of the train, I am 100% convinced that that's what was up there the night before. Now, what is unexplained is why the tracking information that sar104 is using doesn't apparently match what we've experienced. The problem with the military deployment theory is frankly that ... it's Canada: we just don't have that much in the air! The officer I spoke to yesterday said their base might have four aircraft up, and another Ontario base another four, but to come up with the numbers we saw would involve the entire Canadian Air Force, and maybe then some.

sar104: Thanks for including the Satflare site, and yes, I see that none of the SIX Starlink trains appear to be orbiting in our area. I'm again a little mystified, but looking at these videos posted on Satflare, we definitely saw some kind of satellite train...

@jonesFoto - Just curious - is your wife's phone Android or iOS ?
My wife has an app on her Android phone that notifies her when the ISS will be visible over our location.

sar104: Thanks for including the Satflare site, and yes, I see that none of the SIX Starlink trains appear to be orbiting in our area. I'm again a little mystified, but looking at these videos posted on Satflare, we definitely saw some kind of satellite train...

Remember that the orbit is not fixed relative to any locations on the earth except the poles, and so it doesn't repeat daily. You have to check the constellation at the specific time in question. Where it appears at the same time the following day is completely irrelevant.

Well, this is an odd one, and I'm not even sure which Forum Category to post it in, but here goes:
I’d like to report an aviation observation/incident that occurred this morning at 05h55, over 45.577937, -75.849199, in Ottawa Class C airspace. My wife woke me to observe a formation or “squadron" of aircraft, visible through our skylights, directly over our bed. I took high-powered binoculars downstairs to observe from an outdoor upper deck. 20 to 30 aircraft were observed, flying in a generally straight line at uneven spacing, but uniform velocity. The course was from WSW to ENE. Altitude was difficult to gauge: higher than 1000’ but beyond that hard to say. Their speed indicated that they were likely to be jet aircraft, although in a few cases the linear spacing would have made jet wash an issue, I would think. If they were turboprop aircraft they were certainly moving at a good clip. They may have been sUAV’s, although 20 - 30 drones at considerable altitude would be difficult to explain as well. We observed their flight for about four minutes. Through the binoculars I saw no indicator lighting, just a cold white light from each craft, as bright as a star, and far brighter than a satellite. The RCAF tells me they weren't theirs (they don't have those kinds of numbers at any one base), and Transport Canada is swamped with COVID-19 related issues, of course.

I've got a Part 107 cert, and grew up on USAF bases, surrounded by the B-52's my dad flew and the tactical aircraft that supported them. I have no idea what we saw this morning, but I sure am open to some suggestions. And no, I'm not suggesting that ET was flying overhead - I'm not a nut job, I'm just pretty baffled. Thanks for your patience/interest, and stay safe!
If they were at or just above 1000' AGL, then with binocs you could read the numbers on the A/C. Formation flying....they all do not fly at same altitude, so turbulence from each other is avoided. From the ground, they just look like they are at the same altitude. Too bad you didn't take a photo with your phone. Satellites orbit around 300 to 600 miles above the earth. So sounds like one of the "mysteries" we all read about.

I’m so glad you posted this! I saw the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Sometime between 8:30 9:30 pm, moving SW to NE, West of/over Rochester NY heading out over Lake Ontario towards Canada. 20-30 single lights/objects spaced perfectly apart In a single file line. First one I saw I figured it was a satellite. After a dozen I figured it was a high altitude military cargo exercise, after 20 I didn’t know what I was seeing! Starlink seems like what it was.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead