DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ban on DJI

My wife works in a position of Satellite National Security. In the past, I held a compartmental TS for Sat optics and comm for our Security agencies. Other countries do not need data from drones for access to high-def images. Even imaging from GEO satellites far exceed the clarity of close up videos taken with today’s drones. Without disclosing capabilities, just take into consideration that 1970-1980 era satellites cold read and record a book title being read outdoors (from 23,500 feet) in clear skies. Today’s black Sats can provide better imaging in darkness than the 1970 versions. These discussions on DJI are moot, IMHO.

Relax, Go Fly and Enjoy.

Totally agree. As I said originally, it’s a subject that comes up time & time again and is brought up, usually, by those who, of course, aren’t in the least paranoid....they just need reassurance ??

Exactly!!!!!
People get hung up on imagined threats, while the actual threat is readily available to anyone with access to the internet.
Added.....
I mean sources like Google Maps, Earth, Street View, etc. Commonly available and accessible to everyone. I'm not sure what what additional actionable info a DJI drone can give someone that a quick Google Maps search wouldn't.

Last edited:
Plenty of bleach in this wash cycle.

When you are not an important person why worry about security? When you are then the Chinese Dictators want a piece. Always and forevermore!
Now you can decide How important you are with the Chinese Dictators/Military.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Plenty of bleach in this wash cycle.

When you are not an important person why worry about security? When you are then the Chinese Dictators want a piece. Always and forevermore!
Now you can decide How important you are with the Chinese Dictators/Military.
I’m very impotent... LOL

come on now posters ,if this thread is going to turn into a political debate then the it will be closed
stay on topic ,political opinions have no place on this forum

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
My wife works in a position of Satellite National Security. In the past, I held a compartmental TS for Sat optics and comm for our Security agencies. Other countries do not need data from drones for access to high-def images. Even imaging from GEO satellites far exceed the clarity of close up videos taken with today’s drones. Without disclosing capabilities, just take into consideration that 1970-1980 era satellites cold read and record a book title being read outdoors (from 22,300 miles) in clear skies. Today’s black Sats can provide better imaging in darkness than the 1970 versions. These discussions on DJI are moot, IMHO.

Relax, Go Fly and Enjoy.

^^^^This^^^^

For private citizens I'm sure all will be well. I'm glad the govt doesn't allow them to.be used for their business. Same a Huawei, vivotek and a few others.

Can't see ANY government in North America banning a Chinese product.Not when the sale adds to tax/tariff revenues. People want value for dollar.Politics at it's best.

I don't even trust my xiomi vacuum robot, bless her, she's wonderful!, but it uses wifi and constantly tries to get my phone to connect to it. I need a tin foil hat, haha, or maybe i should wrap the vacuum in tin foil.

The Army never suggested they were concerned about spying.
All that was mentioned was cybersecurity concerns.

The whole idea of using hobbyist's images and flight path data for espionage sounds like a rejected plotline for a Donald Duck comic.
Especially when you realise that any country can send their people to look at whatever might interest them in person, photograph as much as they like from whatever angles interest them.
They could walk around, hire a plane and fly around, or even fly their own drones etc. etc.
The idea of searching through millions of photos of sunsets, parks and beaches (that DJI don't have access to anyway) in the hope of finding useful information is laughable.

But you managed to anyway.
I did say theoretical...not that they are doing so. I too held a top secret security clearance at one time and all I can say is that I DO NOT trust the chicom's. Someone else posted about the ability of satellites to give great intel...my response is...how well did that work on evidence of WMD's in Iraq? Limitations my friends....so if indeed ancillary info can be gleaned from humint and other sources...so be it and that is what will be looked at, especially with the wealth we've given them. Look at the daily cyberthreats from places like china and russia...the news was full of reports of these folks trying to steal covid research info. Where there's a will...there's a way...in the spy business....there are many ways...

No, not being paranoid...but realistic that when we fly...we potentially compromise personal security...that's a fact....even just using our phones. I agree that we should just enjoy flying our drones and have fun fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky