DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ban on DJI

jonatious

Reactions
With all the ban happening around on Chinese products/apps, do you think US will ban DJI drones or DJI completely temporarily or permanently?

I have been recently concerned about this, especially since there are no great viable competitor for DJI(I know Autel/Skydio, please do not bring that discussion here).

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
With all the ban happening around on Chinese products/apps, do you think US will ban DJI drones or DJI completely temporarily or permanently?

I have been recently concerned about this, especially since there are no great viable competitor for DJI(I know Autel/Skydio, please do not bring that discussion here).

What are your thoughts?

No worries. I have been hearing stuff like that ever since I entered the hobby. (. Going on five years. ).

The main supporter of this supposed ban is Matt Gaetz, Congressman of Florida. It appears to be politically motivated, but at this juncture, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. DJI is working diligently in the background to provide data to support that DJI does not transmit (secure) data back to China. They have utilized various tech firms, and all agree after exhaustive testing, that this supposed breach of National Security does not hold up to scrutiny.

we could speculate ,till the cows come home ,as to whether such a ban will happen,or not,i dont think that worrying about it at this time ,is going to help ,just lets enjoy flying our drones and see what happens

The main supporter of this supposed ban is Matt Gaetz, Congressman of Florida. It appears to be politically motivated, but at this juncture, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. DJI is working diligently in the background to provide data to support that DJI does not transmit (secure) data back to China. They have utilized various tech firms, and all agree after exhaustive testing, that this supposed breach of National Security does not hold up to scrutiny.
That depends on who is doing the scrutiny. I wish I completely trusted them. I don't trust tic toc.. .but.

I don fly those jobs so I don't worry about it that much.

As I see it, the ONLY reasonable “link” is when you send you’re tone to DJI for repair/replacement. Your flight history is stored internally at least for the most recent adventures. That data could be used to try and locate US infrastructure. Given we can’t/shouldn’t fly anywhere near anything of national security interest, the value of that data is pretty much zero. Nothing a road map won’t show.

This is just the latest incarnation of an old rumour that’s been doing the rounds since the US military were banned from flying them.

Reactions: old man mavic
This is just the latest incarnation of an old rumour that’s been doing the rounds since the US military were banned from flying them.

Ah...this was done for good reason. I don't want to sound like an alarmist over this issue, but it's theoretically possible for spying to be happening without DJI knowing about it...which I very much doubt. It's theoretically very easy for an intel service like the chinese who strong arm anyone from china to do their dirty work. I have some personal experience in this. Getting back to the issue that could DJI data be used to spy...well, as I said, if indeed flight data can be extracted whether in real time or afterwards, not a big deal to link the co-ords to some database of interest. So for example, the chinese are interested in an infrastructure target...let's say the Hoover dam. They could program to flag any data from any source around a radius to it. The key in intel is to flag what is of interest and ignore the vast amount of data that is not. Given the advanced algorithms for searching and matching such things, it's not too difficult to imagine. Yes, they do have satellite imagery, but they may have other reasons for closer views and different angles of infrastructure. Not long ago, the military also banned taking pictures at active bases overseas and posting them on facebook etc...simply because if the geo info wasn't taken off the photo then potentially, that info could be gleaned and the co-ordinates turned into targeting information. It's happened. If you don't want to know where you live, make sure you remove any geo info from photo's you take.

I really don't mean to sound paranoid about this stuff, but if you are concerned about personal info it is something to consider. Going back to DJI, time will tell if indeed they are as trustworthy as they claim to be. Seeing how they handle customers, I'm not so sure they are as honest as they claim to be. Regardless, my 2 cents worth.

Where did you see this? One of the first things you are almost required to do before flying (on IOS) is to agree to provide all mobile device and drone GPS information to DJI. That has been the concern of several people. I don't know if it's legitimate or not. If it turns out that the concern is justified and that the data is being used in a way that could harm other countries (it's not just the U.S.), then I would be happy to give up my drone and buy something like a Skydio, which is made in the U.S. Cost might be a tad higher, but it would be worth it for me.

What you do is up to you...

Reactions: drrags
I really don't mean to sound paranoid about this stuff, but if you are concerned about personal info it is something to consider. Going back to DJI, time will tell if indeed they are as trustworthy as they claim to be. Seeing how they handle customers, I'm not so sure they are as honest as they claim to be. Regardless, my 2 cents worth.

I don't think you are paranoid at all.

Ah...this was done for good reason. I don't want to sound like an alarmist over this issue, but it's theoretically possible for spying to be happening without DJI knowing about it...which I very much doubt. It's theoretically very easy for an intel service like the chinese who strong arm anyone from china to do their dirty work. I have some personal experience in this. Getting back to the issue that could DJI data be used to spy...well, as I said, if indeed flight data can be extracted whether in real time or afterwards, not a big deal to link the co-ords to some database of interest. So for example, the chinese are interested in an infrastructure target...let's say the Hoover dam. They could program to flag any data from any source around a radius to it. The key in intel is to flag what is of interest and ignore the vast amount of data that is not. Given the advanced algorithms for searching and matching such things, it's not too difficult to imagine. Yes, they do have satellite imagery, but they may have other reasons for closer views and different angles of infrastructure. Not long ago, the military also banned taking pictures at active bases overseas and posting them on facebook etc...simply because if the geo info wasn't taken off the photo then potentially, that info could be gleaned and the co-ordinates turned into targeting information. It's happened. If you don't want to know where you live, make sure you remove any geo info from photo's you take.

Yup....all been said before and no doubt will be again further down the line.

Reactions: old man mavic
Ah...this was done for good reason. .. but it's theoretically possible for spying to be happening without DJI knowing about it
The Army never suggested they were concerned about spying.
All that was mentioned was cybersecurity concerns.
It's theoretically very easy for an intel service like the chinese who strong arm anyone from china to do their dirty work. I have some personal experience in this. Getting back to the issue that could DJI data be used to spy...well, as I said, if indeed flight data can be extracted whether in real time or afterwards, not a big deal to link the co-ords to some database of interest. So for example, the chinese are interested in an infrastructure target...let's say the Hoover dam. They could program to flag any data from any source around a radius to it. The key in intel is to flag what is of interest and ignore the vast amount of data that is not. Given the advanced algorithms for searching and matching such things, it's not too difficult to imagine. Yes, they do have satellite imagery, but they may have other reasons for closer views and different angles of infrastructure.
The whole idea of using hobbyist's images and flight path data for espionage sounds like a rejected plotline for a Donald Duck comic.
Especially when you realise that any country can send their people to look at whatever might interest them in person, photograph as much as they like from whatever angles interest them.
They could walk around, hire a plane and fly around, or even fly their own drones etc. etc.
The idea of searching through millions of photos of sunsets, parks and beaches (that DJI don't have access to anyway) in the hope of finding useful information is laughable.
I don't want to sound like an alarmist over this issue
I really don't mean to sound paranoid about this stuff
But you managed to anyway.

One of the first things you are almost required to do before flying (on IOS) is to agree to provide all mobile device and drone GPS information to DJI.
Are you certain of this?
You have to provide permission for the app to access GPS data so that some flight functuions will function but you don't have to supply DJI with that information.
DJI doesn't get to see flight data unless you choose to upload it to their servers.
You don't have to do that but it can be useful if you need to make a warranty claim or to transfer flight information when you get a new phone or tablet.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I always snicker when the “SPY” drone subject rears its head again.
And I may be a guilty party because I click all the yes buttons in the app!

My wife works in a position of Satellite National Security. In the past, I held a compartmental TS for Sat optics and comm for our Security agencies. Other countries do not need data from drones for access to high-def images. Even imaging from GEO satellites far exceed the clarity of close up videos taken with today’s drones. Without disclosing capabilities, just take into consideration that 1970-1980 era satellites cold read and record a book title being read outdoors (from 22,300 miles) in clear skies. Today’s black Sats can provide better imaging in darkness than the 1970 versions. These discussions on DJI are moot, IMHO.

Relax, Go Fly and Enjoy.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78