DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Banding in Images-

I found its in the RAW converter in PS CC 2019..
When I open the DNG file, the image has the bands.. if I give it a few moments the bands disappear, some take longer than others.. So I'm reinstalling PS CC and Raw converter.. Running current iMac with Mojave. Wonder if it has anything to do with the stock graphics card?

EDIT-
Nope- Still happening to other files but suspect DNG is the issue..
If I view the image in the IOS preview app prior to import- Bands are not there on the original file.
They are there after the import tho! some disappear, some don't.
I tried using the Adobe DNG converter on the DJI DNG file to see if that would somehow make it sync with Adobe PS CC but same thing...

Last edited:
Camera Raw is the base for all things Adobe. Make sure that gets updated.

A really silly question however it would eliminate or prove the 'card' theory, have you tried just using the drones internal storage, take a few shots then if it dose not happen it's a write issue to the external card.

Just a thought..

Whether it's the card or not could be ruled out by writing to internal memory.
A bad card can make artefacts like that but it could be a fault in how the hardware writes to the storage.
A ribbon cable for example.

You keep mentioning iOS. Maybe you have mentioned it but have you tried eliminating the possiblity of the transfer by taking out the microSD and putting directly into the card reader of the computer?

Macs have RAW converter built in that is not Adobe. Since you are using Mojave, does Apple's Preview show it correct or wrong?

Also, could you post a couple of the original RAW files to the forum here? Many of us work with RAW and different converters may confirm your conclusion. I personally use Apple's RAW or Capture ONE.

It could be a shot in the dark but try cleaning the sensors on the droned make sure your antenna is extended properly.----in the old tays of tape, we would clean the heads.

A really silly question however it would eliminate or prove the 'card' theory, have you tried just using the drones internal storage, take a few shots then if it dose not happen it's a write issue to the external card.

Just a thought..
I did with the Mavic Air and it was fine. The previews are currently ok when using the app. I can't download the DNG direct from the internal storage today to computer.. no USB cord with me..

You keep mentioning iOS. Maybe you have mentioned it but have you tried eliminating the possiblity of the transfer by taking out the microSD and putting directly into the card reader of the computer?

Macs have RAW converter built in that is not Adobe. Since you are using Mojave, does Apple's Preview show it correct or wrong?

Also, could you post a couple of the original RAW files to the forum here? Many of us work with RAW and different converters may confirm your conclusion. I personally use Apple's RAW or Capture ONE.
I use all Adobe products. I'll see if i can attach a DNG..
It could be a shot in the dark but try cleaning the sensors on the droned make sure your antenna is extended properly.----in the old tays of tape, we would clean the heads.
It won't allow a DNG extension to download. PM your e-mail if you are down with that and I'll Wetransfer it.
Half the images this a.m had banding.
Chris

I didn't know you could clean sensors on the drone but will look into it.. Antennas are extended every time.
c

You can't, the lenses are fixed - don't try it yourself. Cleaning an image sensor is also a very delicate process and you really need to know what you're doing. Your sample images have absolutely no signs of debris on the sensor. The artifact lines very much look digital, which points to other issues.

Every time I have ever seen images like your samples, it's a bad memory card / bad file, something wrong with the RAW converter, or (less likely) a bad sensor - but if it was a bad sensor the lines would probably be perfectly horizontal/vertical.

Try a bunch of different memory cards, try writing files to the internal memory, try different RAW converters, see if it happens on JPEGs, etc. You should be able to narrow in on the issue pretty quick - if it's not the memory/RAW converter or anything in your image processing chain, I'd exchange the drone.

You can't, the lenses are fixed - don't try it yourself. Cleaning an image sensor is also a very delicate process and you really need to know what you're doing. Your sample images have absolutely no signs of debris on the sensor. The artifact lines very much look digital, which points to other issues.

Every time I have ever seen images like your samples, it's a bad memory card / bad file, something wrong with the RAW converter, or (less likely) a bad sensor - but if it was a bad sensor the lines would probably be perfectly horizontal/vertical.

Try a bunch of different memory cards, try writing files to the internal memory, try different RAW converters, see if it happens on JPEGs, etc. You should be able to narrow in on the issue pretty quick - if it's not the memory/RAW converter or anything in your image processing chain, I'd exchange the drone.
That's what I thought in regards to the sensor.. I clean DSLR all the time so versed in the process..
The lines are the a portion of the image sliding left for sure 100%. So not sure it can be called artifacts but a software malfunction.
All I can do now is buy a new card and see.. I can't verify if the internal stored DNG is ok until I get home later..
Its got to be something with my system.. its the second DJI to do this..
c

...Its got to be something with my system.. its the second DJI to do this..
I think you are on the right track. Same problem, two different sources. Besides using the wrong SD cards the thing both have in common would be your computer (including cables or card reader) or software used to open the images.

Just a thought..
Internal Storage DNG are fine.. Sooo!!
What cards are most using?
I've used Sandisk forever on DSLR with zero issues until the DJI so I went to Lexar and its happening again..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky