DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries Mavic PRO 2

Klaaz

Reactions
Had a question over loading the battery of the Mavic 2.
If you fly the battery to aprox 50%, what should I do, store it and fly it empty another time or charge it from 50% to 100%?

50% is a decent storage rate. If you charge it full, it will start self-discharging in a few days and will read 50% soon enough. Maybe check the stored-at-50% a little sooner than stored-at-100%, but the difference in time probably isn't huge.

The one thing you absolutely do not want to do is store it completely empty, so I wouldn't store something that's even close to that (under 25%).

Chris

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yes, I have enough batteries for my slightly older M1P and Spark to just land around 50% and 'reload' to fly on.
It saves any charging requirements later.

I always aim for no less than 20% on landing for flights where I require the extra air time . . . then I just either charge up to full later and let them discharge automatically, or see the leds hit 2 and 1 flashing, then take them off the charger (that's around 55-60%, a good storage level).

Without hard facts, I'd estimate I have flown down to less than 20%, perhaps as low as 10%, a matter of a few times in nearly 7 years of drone ownership, and that's perfectly fine very occasionally.
If you fly the battery to aprox 50%, what should I do, store it and fly it empty another time

THIS is what you should NEVER do.
It's ok to fly later that day for a quick flight to shoot some footage / photos, but if left for more than a day or so, always fully charge before flying on the battery again.

Reactions: Klaaz
I missed that part. Yeah, once you've landed and packed the battery away, you should never use it again until you've fully recharged it

I wouldn't even fly it 'later that day'. At best, I might touch down and then take off again using the same battery if I had not turned it all off and let the battery cool.

Chris

Reactions: Klaaz
you should never use it again until you've fully recharged it

I wouldn't even fly it 'later that day'. At best, I might touch down and then take off again using the same battery if I had not turned it all off and let the battery cool.

Chris

It is ok Chris to fly same day, like end of a trip and you want one more quick video / photo, have a battery from earlier with say anything really, at least enough to go up, shoot, down, within reason, say 30% or whatever.
What matters is if the battery cells have a chance to become unbalanced, like in auto discharge stage, you definitely need to charge up fully again before use.

It is ok Chris to fly same day, like end of a trip and you want one more quick video / photo, have a battery from earlier with say anything really, at least enough to go up, shoot, down, within reason, say 30% or whatever.
What matters is if the battery cells have a chance to become unbalanced, like in auto discharge stage, you definitely need to charge up fully again before use.

I was under the impression that turning them off used and then cooled down was enough to unbalance the cells. Or that the app could not manage the unbalanced the cells after shut off/turn back on, as well as it was doing while still flying before the shut down.

But then, all the science, I don't understand <cue music>. I have 6 batteries so I don't have to take the chance. I sez to meself, I sez "why take the risk?" (of seeing the aircraft call out of the sky). So I don't.

Chris

I was under the impression that turning them off used and then cooled down was enough to unbalance the cells. Or that the app could not manage the unbalanced the cells after shut off/turn back on, as well as it was doing while still flying before the shut down.

But then, all the science, I don't understand <cue music>. I have 6 batteries so I don't have to take the chance. I sez to meself, I sez "why take the risk?" (of seeing the aircraft call out of the sky). So I don't.

Chris
Hey Rocket Man-Thanks.Now I can't get that song out of my head(cue ELO)😜

I sez to meself, I sez "why take the risk?" (of seeing the aircraft call out of the sky). So I don't.

That’s a good way to be with uncertain things in life.
I’ve only based my perception on this from reading posts related to crashes etc, fast battery drains from flying a half discharged battery.
Have only flown a same day partially drained (from flight) battery maybe a dozen times, end of a long day for a quick sunset or such.
Always behaves fine, but I usually don’t have to make it a regular habit.
Cheers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman