DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries need to be babysat every three months?

mavicoz

Reactions
So here's my short story. I bought my MP back in 2/2017 and it's only been flown a handful of times. As a matter of fact, I just check one of the battery cycle counts and its up to a whopping twelve cycles. As I said, I hardly get to fly the drone. So I decided to fly it today (after being in storage for probably six months) and one of my three batteries is unresponsive. It has no lights or anything when I attempt to charge it. Now for the record, I know these batteries aren't supposed to be put in storage with anything less than a 30% charge which I have always done faithfully.

So I chatted with DJI today and they basically told me I damaged the battery by letting it sit for too long without charging it at least once every three months. I was never aware that these batteries needed to be babysat every three months when they weren't being used. Had I known that, I would have done just that. The ironic thing is I bought all three batteries at the same time and they all sit in storage at the same time but only one battery has failed.

So I assume this makes me SOL with my battery issue and now I get to pay more money for something I rarely use. I know my issue might seem petty to some but I think this sucks considering how much I baby my MP with little use and much great care....

It's not a petty issue, because Lipos are expensive. Unfortunately, Lipo batteries cant just be left for longer than a month without being cycled. DJI says 3 months, and they are being generous, but I cycle every month. DJI only warranties their batteries for 6 months.

The batteries hibernate after a period of time so it shouldn't have completely discharged.
I've left laptops alone for several months without issues.
Reminds me, need to check on my old XP laptop.

It has been this way for over 12 or so since lipo's were more and more main streamed years.. man this what you have to do to keep your pack in good condition..After all they keep your Aircraft in the air like everything else in this hobby you have to know a lot about how it all works as a whole.You think your getting the short end but it's just a case pf not knowing how to maintain.. live and learn...

Reactions: Former Member
Even cycled once a month is a small price to pay.
Dji batteries are still amazing compared to the 3/4/6 cell lipos that lasted 10 mins at best. And puffed up and unusable if you even tried getting an extra 2mins.
And as for nitro and gas, they were banned from the house by mrs Colin years ago.

Thanks for all the replies. I tested the other two batteries today and everything works great. I have decided to sell my Mavic Pro though. This toy, so to speak sits around way too much considering how expensive these things cost.

Thanks for all the replies. I tested the other two batteries today and everything works great. I have decided to sell my Mavic Pro though. This toy, so to speak sits around way too much considering how expensive these things cost.

Good time to sell it before it starts getting cold. It's been in the 80's down here in GA every day.

Well it turns out I haven't touched my Vostro or my former church's old laptop in over 2 years. Both batteries had no charge. Vostro won't take a charge at all. Other laptop is charging, we'll see what the capacity is.
Has it really been that long?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu