DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries

Raptorman

Reactions
Received my MA2 Fly More Combo today and noticed something odd with the batteries. I remembered that you should not use the multi-battery strip for the first charge, but when I tested the charge level of the batteries before putting them on the charger they all, all three of them, indicated no charge. That is, when you do a single press of the battery power button it should flash the LED's around the button to indicate the approximate charge level, but when this was done before the first charge none of them flashed any LED's which indicates zero or nearly zero charge. Then, when I put the first battery on the charger the LED's began to flash right away and the initial indication was about 50% charge level or a bit more.

So, that makes me wonder if there is some kind of hibernation mode that the batteries come from the factory in and in order to wake them from hibernation you need to individually charge them (not use the multi-strip). If this is the case then I have to wonder if this hibernation mode can be enabled in some other way such as prolonged non-use and if that happens will you again need to do an individual battery charge.

Lastly, I seem to recall that some here have had to update the firmware for one or more of the batteries but when I powered my MA2 up and updated its firmware I saw no message about the batteries. So, that has me wondering about battery firmware and how to know if they need updating and how to do it.

Brian

So, that makes me wonder if there is some kind of hibernation mode that the batteries come from the factory in and in order to wake them from hibernation you need to individually charge them (not use the multi-strip).

Correct, it is a hibernation mode and that was likely part of the issues people saw.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Correct, it is a hibernation mode and that was likely part of the issues people saw.

Do you have a source for this confirmation? Also, I wonder if the batteries might go into hibernation when not in use and if so, would we need to do the single battery charge thing?

Brian

OK, I just found a reference in the manual about the batteries being in hibernation from the factory but it doesn't indicate if there's any other way the batteries can go into hibernation or what to do if they do.

EDIT:

The manual does seem to indicate that the batteries can go into hibernation mode of the charge level drops below 5% and is idle for over 6 hours. Again, no indication of the need to use a single battery charge in this case.

Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
OK, I just found a reference in the manual about the batteries being in hibernation from the factory but it doesn't indicate if there's any other way the batteries can go into hibernation or what to do if they do.

EDIT:

The manual does seem to indicate that the batteries can go into hibernation mode of the charge level drops below 5% and is idle for over 6 hours. Again, no indication of the need to use a single battery charge in this case.

Brian
The need to use a single battery charger when first activating your batteries is not documented anywhere, it is only discussed in the various chat forums (this one & DJI’s own).

The need to use a single battery charger is not documented anywhere, it is only discussed in the various chat forums (this one & DJI’s own).

Right, but the added question is ... if the battery goes into hibernation after having been used numerous times do you need to do a single charge (not use multi-strip) to wake it or is the need for a single charge setup only required for the very first charge when it's in hibernation.

Brian

Right, but the added question is ... if the battery goes into hibernation after having been used numerous times do you need to do a single charge (not use multi-strip) to wake it or is the need for a single charge setup only required for the very first charge when it's in hibernation.

Brian
I think I’d err on the side of caution and assume the safest approach would be to use the single charger option. It’s not like a battery going into hibernation is going to happen that often.

Reactions: THE CYBORG

Brian
It’s funny that you ask this because I have been overly cautious with charging my batteries after seeing all those different nightmare scenarios with using the hub out of the box. I’ve only put a few battery cycles on each battery but I’m still using the single charger every time because the thought of bricking a battery at all doesn’t seem the least bit appealing to me. Like you, I’m also curious about potentially needing to take the batteries out of hibernation mode after extended non-use. Good question!

It’s funny that you ask this because I have been overly cautious with charging my batteries after seeing all those different nightmare scenarios with using the hub out of the box. I’ve only put a few battery cycles on each battery but I’m still using the single charger every time because the thought of bricking a battery at all doesn’t seem the least bit appealing to me. Like you, I’m also curious about potentially needing to take the batteries out of hibernation mode after extended non-use. Good question!
what are the nightmare scenarios that you have seen?

what are the nightmare scenarios that you have seen?
I didn't mean different in terms of varying scenarios, just that a bunch of different folks have posted about their bad experiences with bricking from using the hub. Sorry if that was a little confusing. I just meant that I've been playing it abundantly cautious with charging, so I don't become one of those with a bad battery. I'd rather take the extra time to charge than be down a battery for a few weeks.

Reactions: 4score and E90RAW
Received my MA2 Fly More Combo today and noticed something odd with the batteries. I remembered that you should not use the multi-battery strip for the first charge, but when I tested the charge level of the batteries before putting them on the charger they all, all three of them, indicated no charge. That is, when you do a single press of the battery power button it should flash the LED's around the button to indicate the approximate charge level, but when this was done before the first charge none of them flashed any LED's which indicates zero or nearly zero charge. Then, when I put the first battery on the charger the LED's began to flash right away and the initial indication was about 50% charge level or a bit more.

So, that makes me wonder if there is some kind of hibernation mode that the batteries come from the factory in and in order to wake them from hibernation you need to individually charge them (not use the multi-strip). If this is the case then I have to wonder if this hibernation mode can be enabled in some other way such as prolonged non-use and if that happens will you again need to do an individual battery charge.

Lastly, I seem to recall that some here have had to update the firmware for one or more of the batteries but when I powered my MA2 up and updated its firmware I saw no message about the batteries. So, that has me wondering about battery firmware and how to know if they need updating and how to do it.

Brian
Mavic mini batteries are shipped in the hibernation mode. The multi-charger actually charges them one at at time, starting with the battery with the least charge. If you wish to charge multiple batteries at one time, then buy one or more single-battery charger(s). They are available and inexpensive on eBay and other stores.

Mavic mini batteries are shipped in the hibernation mode. The multi-charger actually charges them one at at time, starting with the battery with the least charge. If you wish to charge multiple batteries at one time, then buy one or more single-battery charger(s). They are available and inexpensive on eBay and other stores.

Well aware that the multi-strip charger thing only charges one battery at a time -- the issue is that there have been reports that you should not use the multi-strip unit for the first charge because the batteries ship in hibernation. The additional issue, still unanswered to my knowledge, is what happens if the batteries go into hibernation at some point after first use.

Brian

Well aware that the multi-strip charger thing only charges one battery at a time -- the issue is that there have been reports that you should not use the multi-strip unit for the first charge because the batteries ship in hibernation. The additional issue, still unanswered to my knowledge, is what happens if the batteries go into hibernation at some point after first use.

Brian
Easy enough to resolve! Just use it down to 5% and let it sit for 6 hours, until it goes into hibernation. Then put it on the hub, and tell us what happens! Thumbswayup

Easy enough to resolve! Just use it down to 5% and let it sit for 6 hours, until it goes into hibernation. Then put it on the hub, and tell us what happens! Thumbswayup

Tell ya what ... I'll let you do that and please update us on the results. Thumbswayup

Brian

Each battery must be charged for the first time connected directly to the charger and not the battery bank. This brings the battery out of hibernation. It only has to be done once for the very first charge.

Each battery must be charged for the first time connected directly to the charger and not the battery bank. This brings the battery out of hibernation. It only has to be done once for the very first charge.

Umm, if you need to connect directly to the charger to bring it out of hibernation then what happens if the battery goes into hibernation after being used for a while? The manual indicates the battery will go into hibernation anytime the charge level drops below 5% for more than 6 hours so if that happens then will you need to connect directly to the charger?

Brian

Umm, if you need to connect directly to the charger to bring it out of hibernation then what happens if the battery goes into hibernation after being used for a while? The manual indicates the battery will go into hibernation anytime the charge level drops below 5% for more than 6 hours so if that happens then will you need to connect directly to the charger?

Brian
If you want to do the most careful thing, then yes, connect directly to the charger. The only reported problems so far - that I know of - involve new batts in hibernation attempted to be charged on the multi-charger. No reports so far regarding batts in service that have gone into hibernation.

I think dji needs to monitor these forums and respond to these subjects where the documentation is incomplete.

I think we don't Know all the conditions that will put a battery in hybernation; when/if/how a user may want to put it in hybernation, eg long term storage; heck, just what is hybernation in this case vs a power off, and what does 'longterm mean?

Does a hibernating battery need to be fully charged to come out of hybernation - why the heck isn't 10 minutes on the single charger enough to bring it out of hybernation and allow it to then be put on the gang charger. What are the battery self-dischatge rules. I read something indicating they could be changed but how to change them and the pros/cons of possible settings is not covered.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO EXPERIMENT TO FIGURE OUT HOW THIS THING WORKS!

Reactions: mrharri
I think dji needs to monitor these forums and respond to these subjects where the documentation is incomplete.

I think we don't Know all the conditions that will put a battery in hybernation; when/if/how a user may want to put it in hybernation, eg long term storage; heck, just what is hybernation in this case vs a power off, and what does 'longterm mean?

Does a hibernating battery need to be fully charged to come out of hybernation - why the heck isn't 10 minutes on the single charger enough to bring it out of hybernation and allow it to then be put on the gang charger. What are the battery self-dischatge rules. I read something indicating they could be changed but how to change them and the pros/cons of possible settings is not covered.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO EXPERIMENT TO FIGURE OUT HOW THIS THING WORKS!

Agreed, this should be something that is clearly specified in the documentation or, failing that, they should address these questions in forums like this. As you said and as I've been suggesting all along, we should not have to experiment to figure it out.

Brian

Reactions: mrharri
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998