DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Auto Discharge Timer

About 2 hours. I connect the battery, 2 presses on the battery switch the discharger does it thing.No need to sit around and wait as it turns of when target reached. I read somewhere that after 20 charges you should drain battery to 0% and recharge. This discharger can drain to 0%. No need to connect to a power supply. Can start the discharge straight after flying while driving home if you want to.
Thank you, you have me sold

Would it be possible with nolimitdronez?
I've never used NLD. A setting doesn't exist when debug mode is enabled in DJI Assistant 2, so NLD likely won't have a setting either.

read somewhere that after 20 charges you should drain battery to 0% and recharge.

Womble: I am certainly no LiPo expert but from what I've read here, I'm thinking that you never want to discharge to zero percent as it might very well destroy the battery. People who have flown to that level generally end up trashing that battery before long if not right away.

Reactions: msinger
Womble: I am certainly no LiPo expert but from what I've read here, I'm thinking that you never want to discharge to zero percent as it might very well destroy the battery. People who have flown to that level generally end up trashing that battery before long if not right away.

With older batteries I think you would have to do this to calibrate them, they would forget their minimum limit. Not the case with newer batteries.

Right on. There is no need to attempt to cycle Mavic batteries. The battery cells will be balanced after the battery has been fully charged.

What is written in the manual is a full charge and discharge every 3 months ... ;)
That's about it if you are not using it regularly and having it in storage mode from what I understand.

Reactions: Thomas B
That might be from a older manual? The battery section did not have that when I read it.

It's from the last version of the guidlines that is available online, V1.0 (2018.07), so the article you linked is older (2017.07.20)

mv2fibsg.PNG

Source: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mav...igent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_EN.pdf

I am traditionally not a reader of manuals (anymore), but with the Mavic and associated products, it's worthy to have a look inside. There are a lot of details to find.

What is written in the manual is a full charge and discharge every 3 months ... ;)
Right -- but, it depends on how you interpret that statement. I've always read it as don't the let the batteries sit idle for 3+ months. The battery charge will naturally drop over time and the batteries can become damaged if allowed to stay at a low charge level for an extended period of time.

Right -- but, it depends on how you interpret that statement. I've always read it as don't the let the batteries sit idle for 3+ months. The battery charge will naturally drop over time and the batteries can become damaged if allowed to stay at a low charge level for an extended period of time.
Yeah, it's not quite clear, in what situation your should cycle it.
I guess in normal use, you are safe to go without.

Now more confused than before. YES YOU DO NO YOU DON'T.
Going to convert to diesel to solve the problem.
Now you all have confused me I have a further question.
How do you store the remote controller battery? 100%, 60% or at the level when finished last flight?
Do you recycle the battery?

Now more confused than before. YES YOU DO NO YOU DON'T.
Going to convert to diesel to solve the problem.
Now you all have confused me I have a further question.
How do you store the remote controller battery? 100%, 60% or at the level when finished last flight?
Do you recycle the battery?

The controller battery isn't a high-capacity, high-power battery, and doesn't need any special treatment.

I`ve had my 3 MP batts for over 1.5 years. I fly them down to 10 or 20%; I fully recharge when I get home; they may sit for 1, 2, 5 or 7 days with the windy weather lately & I fly again. I have not seen any change in flight times after following this regime for over a year and a half. I usually fly twice a week - l don't want to decide to fly but then have to sit waiting for 2 hours to recharge my batts. Question? Why does DJI make a 10 day cycle if everyone thinks we should discharge every other day?

@Drgnfli
That's the way I feel too.

10 days could be fine with no hassle at all ... that's the point of view DJI seems to have.
Then there are users who say, LiPo can't sit fully charged for such a long time and it will reduce lifetime and raise sales of batteries for DJI (especially when the original Mavic featured a customisable timer).

There are no long-time studies on this product specifically, I guess it all depends on your personal taste but following the guidelines of DJI imho should give a very high level of lifetime combined with the comfort of being able to fly nearly anytime.

I don't say, that LiPo don't need no special care, but DJI's quality is high on these products and should not be mixed with the early stages of LiPo in RC hobby.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I don't know about the rest of you, but I never changed the 10-day setting on my P3P batteries and all 6 of those are still working fine (years later) without any manual discharging.

My only concern now, since I've not been using the P3 in preference to the M2, is that I may forget to charge those batteries after letting them sit unused for 3 months (note to self: set a reminder for that).

I'm okay with the M2 battery 10-day setting.

Chris

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1