DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery discharge question

Thomas Fields

Reactions
I know that the discharge time cycle is reset whenever the power button is pressed. However, once the battery has reached its optimal level and the power button is pressed does the cycle restart and reduce the charge level even more or does the battery remain at its optimal level no matter how many times the button is pressed?

I've always assumed there was a difference between:

a) natural discharge
b) self discharge

The former being something that will happen passively to a battery if it sits for a long time (if it didn't have self-discharge), and the latter being a discharge that the battery circuit does actively to keep the battery from being damaged (due to being left at full charge for too long).

Meaning that discharge will happen either way, just at different rates.

Eh?

Chris

I know that the discharge time cycle is reset whenever the power button is pressed. However, once the battery has reached its optimal level and the power button is pressed does the cycle restart and reduce the charge level even more or does the battery remain at its optimal level no matter how many times the button is pressed?
It is my understanding on Mavic 2 batteries that checking the charge state by pressing the power button does not reset the discharge time cycle. They still continue on the original discharge time cycle set in the app for the batteries.

It is my understanding on Mavic 2 batteries that checking the charge state by pressing the power button does not reset the discharge time cycle. They still continue on the original discharge time cycle set in the app for the batteries.
I dont have direct experience of this but I thought the discharge was independent of the power indicator as well, however, if you power the pack on (in or out of an M2) the timer does start over.

Please someone correct this if its false but only if your sure!

I dont have direct experience of this but I thought the discharge was independent of the power indicator as well, however, if you power the pack on (in or out of an M2) the timer does start over.

Please someone correct this if its false but only if your sure!
Well, if that works to reset the timer, that's good to know! ? I'm always getting tripped up by the continuing auto-discharge, leading to ending up with discharged spare batteries in the field kit! Never thought to fully power on the packs to reset the timer, before the set time period to begin discharge.

Simply pressing it once doesn't reset anything, tested it.
So you either have to turn the battery on (long press), if that doesn't work, you can't reset it.

Simply pressing it once doesn't reset anything, tested it.
So you either have to turn the battery on (long press), if that doesn't work, you can't reset it.
If you can test the pressing once, test the turning on the battery, to see if that works to reset it. That's what is at issue. We all know pressing it once doesn't reset it.

I have no time to test it....And it did work a year ago, maybe they changed something with new firmware

I have no time to test it....And it did work a year ago, maybe they changed something with new firmware
If I understand you correctly, the power cycling did work to reset the discharge time period a year ago under the fixed 10 day discharge setting? If so, that's the confirmation I was looking for. No reason to assume it has changed, especially if the batteries have not been updated with the new FW last fall that allows user control over the discharge time period. Fastest way to test would be to update battery FW and set discharge to shortest period, and power cycle before the time period expires, and see if it is reset. Mine are all still on the original fixed 10 day discharge cycle, so it would take 10 days for me to test!

I said, I tested it. I just can't test it again right now.

SINGLE PRESS DOES NOT RESET is the short answer.

Long press, no idea.

It was different long time ago, in 95% sure.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Still looking for confirmation that power cycling the M2 battery before the discharge time period is up resets the timer back to zero. Can anyone confirm? (We know just pressing the button has no effect any more.)

Instead of waiting, just test it ? I can't the next days...
Testing in place, but because my discharge time is not user adjustable, as stated previously, it will take 10 days for an answer! Anyone on the latest FW and battery updates can verify within 48 hours.

I see, and you don't want to update?
I can test it next week, but I'm quite sure it will work

I see, and you don't want to update?
I can test it next week, but I'm quite sure it will work
Exactly. I don't want them to discharge at all, unless I haven't used them for several weeks. In the mean time, I'm power cycling them whenever I check them. I'm hoping it works, too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98