DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery does not click in place

jotto

Reactions
One of my three batteries doesn't click in place. It feels like it's sitting tight, but there is no "click" when I push it in place. Thee other two batteries are fine.

Has anyone else seen this? It feels a bit risky to fly it with a battery that might disconnect during flight.

One of my three batteries doesn't click in place. It feels like it's sitting tight, but there is no "click" when I push it in place. Thee other two batteries are fine.

Has anyone else seen this? It feels a bit risky to fly it with a battery that might disconnect during flight.

I wouldnt even fiddle with it. You can start a DJI warranty claim, and they will send you a new one after they get yours.

I'll take it to the local DJI store on Monday. I just emailed with them -- they will have a look on it.

Most incidents of "Mavics falling out of the sky" are due to either improper battery mounting or incorrect prop mounting. It's good you caught this before taking flight with it.

Just noticed that 3 of my batteries for my Mavic are not "clicking in" as tightly as I'd like. They DO click and can't be "pulled out", but upon investigation, the batteries are definitely a little swollen.

Fortunately, got one more that's fine and I'll order 2 more for next week.

the batteries are definitely a little swollen
It would be best to dispose of them. Charging them could be dangerous and a disconnect mid-flight could be catastrophic.

Reactions: Thomas B

Is it swollen in any way or is this a brand new battery?

OK yet another person joining the swollen-battery club then.

Its happening to a lot of people recently (a quick search on here yields that). All 3 of mine did that 7 months after purchase.

I was using the least swollen as mine (as i had no other batteries and no way of buying new ones). I released forward stick so the drone braked and that force alone caused it to flash up a warning about battery not being latched so i returned it to the boat ASAP. Its easily possible for the full thing to release during braking, turbulence and so on.

Its not safe to use, it swells up more as it heats up and can easily come loose and disconnect in flight unfortunately.

The M2 batteries seem to die a LOT faster than M1 batteries even when operated within the environmental conditions DJI state.

Its happening to a lot of people recently (a quick search on here yields that). All 3 of mine did that 7 months after purchase.

I was using the least swollen as mine (as i had no other batteries and no way of buying new ones). I released forward stick so the drone braked and that force alone caused it to flash up a warning about battery not being latched so i returned it to the boat ASAP. Its easily possible for the full thing to release during braking, turbulence and so on.

Its not safe to use, it swells up more as it heats up and can easily come loose and disconnect in flight unfortunately.

The M2 batteries seem to die a LOT faster than M1 batteries even when operated within the environmental conditions DJI state.

I agree - I did replace a few of my M1 batteries that were heavily used, but this is another round of m2 batteries for me.

so, the truth is that all lipo packs exhale gas during work cycle. some more, some less. the new chemistry of hi-voltage packs used for mavic 2 seem to be less reliable than an old one, with 3.8v lipos. so, i would not throw away every single swollen pack, as this way you will end up working for lipos - but, strap them before them flight to avoid disconnect, and carefully inspect the progress of swelling.

so, the truth is that all lipo packs exhale gas during work cycle. some more, some less. the new chemistry of hi-voltage packs used for mavic 2 seem to be less reliable than an old one, with 3.8v lipos. so, i would not throw away every single swollen pack, as this way you will end up working for lipos - but, strap them before them flight to avoid disconnect, and carefully inspect the progress of swelling.

I'll sell you my old batteries if you're interested. :)

I experimented with strapping, both velcro and tape. Although it would stop the battery physically detaching it wasnt enough to keep the contacts actually meeting between the battery and the drone so it'd still lose electrical power and drop.

I experimented with strapping, both velcro and tape. Although it would stop the battery physically detaching it wasnt enough to keep the contacts actually meeting between the battery and the drone so it'd still lose electrical power and drop.

again, the battery did lock into place, but it was noticeably different that the other battery. You could also see the slight expansion at the bottom of it.. Just really not worth the risk of the battery exploding in the air or somehow popping off (even if I was to velcro it on).

Reactions: Thomas B
Sounds like the drones ready-to-drop, literally and figuratively speaking ?

Don't do this if you like your drone at all. The batteries are no good and possibly dangerous. Warranty the batteries if you can, but don't use them

Reactions: msinger
Having the same issues with two of my batteries.

Looks like lots of people are starting to see it. Most likely the time of year when temperatures heat up. Mine may have been one of the first 3 purely because i live in the tropics so its warm *all* year.

This wasnt an issue with mavic1 or any other DJI drones that i can see.

I have had my 3 batteries for my zoom for close to 8 months no signs of being swollen.... It's all in how you take care of lipos.....lipos are needy like kids you have to take care of them! I never let mine sit fully charged for more then a day, i never discharge or fly past 20 % ....people will repeatedly fly down to 5% and then wonder why lipos are swollen or not performing same goes for leaving them fully charged....dji is smoking crack thinking a 10 day discharge cycle is ok for a fully charged lipo, smart or not its still a lipo.....anyway when i have them in storage I will keep them at around 35% which is around 3.85v per cell which is a nice storage voltage. people also forget to check on lipos every few weeks they do lose battery power sitting ....so if you leave them for a few months you might come back to a flat battery that cannot be charged you should always check on them if you have them in storage for a while. Coming from an RC heli background following the 80/20 rule has always served me well for years and my lipos perform great. 80% flown / put back in pack/ 20% reserve.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom