DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery heating

Joebie

Reactions
How long do you guys microwave your batteries in the cold weather? I was thinking about starting out at 10-15 seconds. For reference, this is an 1100watt ‘wave.

e48bd44aa0fc80722ecc6fb530d87b77.jpg

I’ll report back on my findings with this, but, what other methods do you guys use?

How long do you guys microwave your batteries in the cold weather? I was thinking about starting out at 10-15 seconds. For reference, this is an 1100watt ‘wave.

I’ll report back on my findings with this, but, what other methods do you guys use?
I am not an electrical engineer however this does not sound like a good idea, or is this a joke post?

Well, the microwave is definitely a joke lol, but the question isn't. Just looking for other people's ideas for keeping batteries warm.

Reactions: Joebie
If you have a spare pair of those 'heat-holder' type thermal socks, they do OK, 1 sock per battery...

Very good, lol:D

I find steaming my batteries preserves the nutrients better.

If that's not convenient I use my jacket pocket and a powerbank/handwarmer.

Reactions: Smalls and Joebie
I’ve flown for hours in below freezing temps with original Mavic Pro. My biggest challenge is always keeping my fingers warm.

I keep batteries on the defrosters in my vehicle, or keep them in a pocket near my skin, preferably under a jacket until ready to fly.

If you start with a warm battery, you likely won’t get any low temperature warnings during flight. Even when it’s below zero degrees f, The battery seems to generate enough heat during discharge to maintain internal temperature above the threshold for the low temp warning.

I do try and land with 50% battery remaining in frigid temperatures, which is typically not an issue because this is also about the threshold to keep my fingers from being frost bitten.

Reactions: UVStudio and Joebie
I have found that the battery generates enough heat on its own once it starts drawing current, but you need to start with a reasonably warm battery.

The bigger problem for me has been keeping the battery in my iPad warm. The aluminum back is one big heat sink. If I do any flying this winter I'm going to figure out how to hand a handwarmer on the back of the iPad.

We keep chickens - on very cold days I tend to take one in the car and let it incubate the batteries on the passenger seat. Happy hens happy batteries everyone's a winner

Reactions: Joebie and SpinItUp

Good practise putting some paper under the battery in the microwave, it will soak up the Lipo juice.

Never assume anything, do not put batteries in a microwave.

Good practise putting some paper under the battery in the microwave, it will soak up the Lipo juice.

Never assume anything, do not put batteries in a microwave.

Yes I’d recommend those microwave pizza bags you can purchase as they will keep the batteries nice and crispy. And they will catch the juice so you can baste them later to keep them moist.

Has anyone used a thin piece of foam insulation over the battery in flight? It may help, too.
It's really not necessary. Once the Mavic is drawing current the battery heats up on its own.

I just looked up one of my flights on AirData UAV from January 2017. The outside temperature was a little below freezing. I got a cold battery warning when I took off, but the battery quickly reached 87 degrees F in flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joebie and AMann
I have found that the battery generates enough heat on its own once it starts drawing current, but you need to start with a reasonably warm battery.

The bigger problem for me has been keeping the battery in my iPad warm. The aluminum back is one big heat sink. If I do any flying this winter I'm going to figure out how to hand a handwarmer on the back of the iPad.

In frigid weather, I fly from inside my truck. occusync 2 has amazing signal. Try it, you’ll be surprised just how good the drone is. You’ll also avoid frost bite.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52