DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Life

owg666

Reactions
Anyone have thoughts on how many cycles we can run our Mavic 2 batteries through before retiring them ?? I have four now and numbered them so they get the same amount of cycles. Thinking of rotating a new one in every six months or so. Or, do we just keep an eye out for reduced flight times and make decisions based on that ??

I have 10 year old "dumb" lipos that still pack a punch. Also have many Phantom 2 and 3 batteries that are like new in terms of power and durability.

"Intelligent Batteries" with the self discharge function, as in DJI M2 batteries, If properly taken care of, can last many years and hundreds of charges.

That’s good to hear. Then really the only reason for more batteries is more air time per outing. Thanks for replying.

Reactions: Former Member
2 of my MP batteries are over 1 years old, had ~60 charges and they still give the same flight times (100% to 30%) like when they were new. Well, flight time is actually longer, since I rarely use Sport modes now, just happy to be cruising and enjoying the view from above. ~19 mins from 100% to 30%.

Reactions: owg666
That’s good to hear. Then really the only reason for more batteries is more air time per outing. Thanks for replying.

Yes. However, I have found that most of my professional aerial photography customers are able to capture what they are there to do with 1 or 2 batteries. They are very selective, and dont waste air time shooting things they will never use.

The liability with owning 3 or more batteries is that you must maintain them. Maintaining a bunch of batteries can be cumbersome unless you fly multiple packs every day or week. It's always good to have an extra battery if youre making a living at it, but too many is not necessarily a good thing.

You may want to check the app once in a while as to how many cycles are recorded on the battery. One can easily lose track of some cycles.
Not really a big deal if one's off by a cycle or two.

Yes. However, I have found that most of my professional aerial photography customers are able to capture what they are there to do with 1 or 2 batteries. They are very selective, and dont waste air time shooting things they will never use.

The liability with owning 3 or more batteries is that you must maintain them. Maintaining a bunch of batteries can be cumbersome unless you fly multiple packs every day or week. It's always good to have an extra battery if youre making a living at it, but too many is not necessarily a good thing.

I’m just a battery freak. I have five for my Typhoon 4K and four for my Breeze. Those have radically less battery life that the Mavic 2. So I’m used to having plenty of batteries. I’ll never use all four in an outing with the M2 but I have a phobia about running out of batteries.

Reactions: mnis
I’m just a battery freak. I have five for my Typhoon 4K and four for my Breeze. Those have radically less battery life that the Mavic 2. So I’m used to having plenty of batteries. I’ll never use all four in an outing with the M2 but I have a phobia about running out of batteries.

Just keep rotating them and they will last for years. I actually write on sticky notes how many cycles are on each of mine after every flight.

Should I be aiming to keep a consistent number of cycles on every battery? i.e. rather than always using the same battery first.

4 or 5 batteries per quad isnt too bad. 3 per flying session per quad with 1-2 batteries in the rotation, its the right amount, trust me. :)

My MP1 is nearly 2 years old - but after 18 months 3 of my 5 batteries developed a huge bulge and can't be flown. Expensive.

I tried to keep them all used evenly and stored sensibly.

The only thing that may have contributed is that if the weather looked good for a weekend- I would top the charge up in all batteries on a Friday night- even if I didn't eventually get to fly.

Oh, I also used a 3rd party 3 battery parallel charger .

And would change up in the car right after a flight too.

I haven't flown the MP1 since I've got my M2P. Sad really.

And would change up in the car right after a flight too.
This probably contributed. Letting them get to hot + charging after = puff pack.

I've got the YXC06 Mavic 1 parallel charger and its been excellent. Batteries are near 2yrs old and hold near full charge of a fresh cell. The Mavic 2 YX charger on the other hand... leaves a lot to be desired.

I have 5 batteries for MP, and 1 of them shorted a cell right after the 6 month warranty. I’m also a battery freak, and always rotated and kept track of cycles and use, and never overheated them. I have them on a 3 day discharge , and like Owen, have the 3rd party charger which I suspect caused my issues.
I’ve had my Phantom P4 since it came out and all 4 batteries are still in top shape with about 55-60 charges across them.
I still have a few Phantom P3 batteries about 6 yrs old that are in good shape.
I have 4 Yuneeq Q500 4K batteries, and 3 of them are swelled up from storage. They did that in the first 5-6 months of use

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebelsun