DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Maintenance

tuk183

Reactions
Hi,

I live in a town and I know that I’m not allowed to fly in my area. However, are you allowed to fire up your quad and hover at say 4-6feet, in your own garden, to keep your batteries in good condition?

I don't know what part of the world you live in tuk183, but if you lived in the United Kingdom - yes - you would be able to do that!

Reactions: tuk183
I don't know what part of the world you live in tuk183, but if you lived in the United Kingdom - yes - you would be able to do that!
Strictly speaking, if your house is in what the CAA would define as a 'built-up area', then it wouldn't be legal to fly in your back garden because you are not more than 150m away from such an area, and probably not more than 50m away from a neighbouring building you don't control (ie the houses next door with people in them).

But whilst it is incorrect to just say that's fine, I can't believe you'd run into much trouble if you were just hovering to discharge packs, although with smart batteries I don't entirely get why you can't just let them discharge themselves ! :)

Reactions: mnis and DanMan32
Strictly speaking, if your house is in what the CAA would define as a 'built-up area', then it wouldn't be legal to fly in your back garden because you are not more than 150m away from such an area, and probably not more than 50m away from a neighbouring building you don't control (ie the houses next door with people in them).

But whilst it is incorrect to just say that's fine, I can't believe you'd run into much trouble if you were just hovering to discharge packs, although with smart batteries I don't entirely get why you can't just let them discharge themselves ! :)

I read that it’s better to fly to discharge your batteries.. so I came up with some hovering as a method to do so.

Like most sensible pilots I don’t want to add to our bad reputation, not deserved in the most part, but just wish to warm up everything as a discharging method.

Hi,

I live in a town and I know that I’m not allowed to fly in my area. However, are you allowed to fire up your quad and hover at say 4-6feet, in your own garden, to keep your batteries in good condition?

You don't even need to ask this question.
Hover away @ that height....no 1 will care.

Asked and answered.

Do you mean, will I get into trouble?

Unless you have neighbours like mine, who see / hear the UAV, automatically assume you are spying on them, incorrectly imagine you can see through their windows, and call the police on you !

Yes they are :(
i have neighbours EXACTLY like that !!

Asked and answered.

Do you mean, will I get into trouble?

Yes, I suppose.
I’m aware that it’s technically a breach of the ANO/Drone Code but to me reason says it ain’t major, so I was really just seeing what you all thought.

Flying is actually extremely stressful for these small batteries, they get very hot near the discharge end and that is not well suited for regular battery maintenance.

Fully charge the batteries once and put them in the quadrocopter one after the other. Follow the procedure below with each battery:

Start the quadcopter and the RC remote, and DJi Go. In DJi Go go to the battery settings. There set the automatic discharge to storage voltage down to a maximum of 2 days. This procedure must really be completed for each battery once, so that the respective battery takes over the new setting. Then store your batteries in a dry and cool place. Temperatures between 15 and 25 degrees Celsius are absolutely sufficient. The full batteries will automatically discharge to storage voltage after 2 days of non-use. More is not necessary for good battery care.

Once a month, the charging status of all batteries should be checked. And if less than 50 percent capacity remains, a refreshing charge should take place.

A selected timer can be reset at any time by pressing the power button on the battery. Press the button before the selected time of, for example, 24 hours has elapsed, and counting will start again. After the time has elapsed, press the button and an automatic discharge will be canceled if it is not completed.

Flying is actually extremely stressful for these small batteries, they get very hot near the discharge end and that is not well suited for regular battery maintenance.

Fully charge the batteries once and put them in the quadrocopter one after the other. Follow the procedure below with each battery:

Start the quadcopter and the RC remote, and DJi Go. In DJi Go go to the battery settings. There set the automatic discharge to storage voltage down to a maximum of 2 days. This procedure must really be completed for each battery once, so that the respective battery takes over the new setting. Then store your batteries in a dry and cool place. Temperatures between 15 and 25 degrees Celsius are absolutely sufficient. The full batteries will automatically discharge to storage voltage after 2 days of non-use. More is not necessary for good battery care.

Once a month, the charging status of all batteries should be checked. And if less than 50 percent capacity remains, a refreshing charge should take place.

A selected timer can be reset at any time by pressing the power button on the battery. Press the button before the selected time of, for example, 24 hours has elapsed, and counting will start again. After the time has elapsed, press the button and an automatic discharge will be canceled if it is not completed.

Thanks [emoji106]

Reactions: mnis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky