DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Terminal Covers for planes

Chris R

Reactions
Can somebody come up with a cool battery terminal cover. I would rather not have to put duct tape on the terminal for the plane.

I have the LiPo bags for them, but regulations also require the terminal be covered.

You don't need to cover them if they are in separate LiPo bags.

I. just read this.

The IATA have had several rules and regulations in place for a while when it comes to sending Lithium batteries skywards (including Li-Ion and LiPo batteries):

• Spare batteries up to 100 Wh (watt hours): hand luggage only, max weight of allowed hand luggage
  • Spare batteries from 100 Wh up to 160Wh (max): hand luggage only, max 2 batteries per passenger
Those regulations apply only to personal use. But what is personal use? Well, that’s up to the airline. Whatever their decision, though, transporting each battery in a sealed plastic bag (or dedicated fireproof bag, for LiPo batteries) and having the exposed terminals covered with duct tape is mandatory.

Both, Li-Ion and LiPo batteries are prohibited in checked baggage and are not allowed to exceed 160Wh. Lithium metal batteries are not allowed at all. These require special precautionary measures.

Reactions: mnobes.12
We use electrical tape... (aka insulating tape) cheap for 10m, enough for 200 batteries :)

Ender aka "el cheapo"

I would question if the Mavis battery terminals fall under the exposed category as they are recessed. Exposed within batteries normally means that there is chance of electric shock or creating a short. Saying that I think it would still be nice to have some small caps to fit over them.

You could just put them in their original boxes then but them in your hand luggage, discharged of course.

The design of the connector would already qualify for being protected enough. Not to mention the fact that the connector doesn't even carry power when the battery is off.

Reactions: Logger
According to my calculations a Mavic battery is about 44Wh which is well under 100Wh meaning you can take as many as you want on a plane, within you weight limit of course.

Reactions: Logger
Having flown about 10 times with my P3P and not even had so much as the case being opened by security or the airline I don't think this is a concern

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Flew round trip Boston to Phoenix with my Yuneec Chroma. Both Air Ports opened and inspected the case [which is bigger and heavier than a Phantom's]
Boston was cool and Phoenix was enthralled. Thought it was exciting enough to call over some others and scope it out. Shared hubby's intention to get one ["drone" that is]
But all went fine

Reactions: lifeismusic
At Dulles airport in Virginia, I checked through security with Mavic + 4 batteries without any hassle after they examined them.
I just had them packed in individual ziplock bag in my carry on bag. They looked at each bag then okay-ed them right through last month on two different trips.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I want these but seems expensive for what it is. Im sure someone will come up with a cheap 3d printable version soon.
These are 3D printed, I just don't have access to a 3D printer nor the knowledge to design it. I'm okay with paying a little more for it because of the time spent on designing it. I'm sure something similar will pop up on Thingiverse soon and you could print them for a couple dollars each.

Reactions: lifeismusic
There's no need for battery covers, discharged batteries, etc. Just carry them on.

I have not had any trouble traveling with my Mavic in my carry on. Not even so much as a question or additional inspection from TSA.

Flew Fl to Ca yesterday. Three fully charged batteries stored inside DJI Fly More bag with Mavic, RC and iPad mini - Not a glance by TSA. Almost was hoping they'd ask so I could show it off.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer