DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BAY HEAD Council concerned about drones flying over private property

It is not clear what state this is in but my state, Maryland, has a preemptive state law baring any county or munipality from restricting drones. See if you state has the same. You may ask AOPA to get involved to prevent if from going into effect if you are a member or know a member.

Another brainless politico who thinks he owns the airspace. This will go nowhere.

It is not clear what state this is in but my state, Maryland, has a preemptive state law baring any county or munipality from restricting drones. See if you state has the same. You may ask AOPA to get involved to prevent if from going into effect if you are a member or know a member.
I believe BAY HEAD is a New Jersey

Reactions: Prop Wash
This seems to be happening all over. In the US, they cannot enforce such actions, however, they have ways to get around the FAA rules. I have stated before while in Gulf Shores, AL this spring, the city will fine anyone flying a UAV within city limits $500. Figure in the cost of an Attorney, time lost; in my case a 25 hour round trip at a later date, to settle the case that I would absolutely win. Not worth it and they know it.

Reactions: thispilothere
This seems to be happening all over. In the US, they cannot enforce such actions, however, they have ways to get around the FAA rules. I have stated before while in Gulf Shores, AL this spring, the city will fine anyone flying a UAV within city limits $500. Figure in the cost of an Attorney, time lost; in my case a 25 hour round trip at a later date, to settle the case that I would absolutely win. Not worth it and they know it.
Here is one way I have seen to get around our state law preventing county and city restrictions on use of drones: It is a local county park with multiple soccer fields barring drone photography. I think that this approach is based on a belief that the FAA will not defend drone operators right to photograh or make vides from a drone and drone pilots will not want to fly there if they can't video it. On the other hand, the drone pilot could always deny that they were filming during the flight and if the officer wants you to show them, ask if they have a warrant.

Ocean County, NJ. I live about 20 minutes south of Bayhead

The main issue isn't the fly-over, it's the...'and hovering.' If someone just flew over and kept going there'd be less of this. BUT when someone hovers their drone, that's when the "it's spying on me" or "invading my privacy" comes into play.

We'll see what comes of this one.

Reactions: cgmaxed

The main issue isn't the fly-over, it's the...'and hovering.' If someone just flew over and kept going there'd be less of this. BUT when someone hovers their drone, that's when the "it's spying on me" or "invading my privacy" comes into play.

We'll see what comes of this one.
The more this issues rings in the ears of the FAA they will eventually start implementing new drone laws to prevent this from happening and then we will be squeezed with more laws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prop Wash
@Drone_Pilot - I couldn't agree more. When the FAA starts imposing/changing rules, who does it affect? ONLY the pilots who fly responsibly with the rules and laws to enjoy the hobby. If a pilot doesn't follow the rules now, they're likely not going to follow them then either. The more rules get imposed, it makes others who want to get into it hestitant to do so.

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
all these problems hmnn I fly in the country don,t have any use or desire to fly over a town But I could understand someone not liking invasion, here in new mexico I,m afraid if someone felt that way boom! it would be more trouble that it was worth

Here is one way I have seen to get around our state law preventing county and city restrictions on use of drones: It is a local county park with multiple soccer fields barring drone photography. I think that this approach is based on a belief that the FAA will not defend drone operators right to photograh or make vides from a drone and drone pilots will not want to fly there if they can't video it. On the other hand, the drone pilot could always deny that they were filming during the flight and if the officer wants you to show them, ask if they have a warrant.
If they believe easily destroyed evidence (like the video file) is on the drone or your phone (if it's attached to your controller), they'll seize both under exigent circumstances. It'll hold in court.

Yes, but he can get a warrant over his radio and he’d likely have “probable cause” anyway. So be careful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu