DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be aware of SD card !

Since I posted my message yesterday, I have looked into programs that can recover data from media such as hard drives and SD cards.

I found that I could still see the video files that my computer cannot read from the SD card. They are still on the SD card, and I have added further files to the SD card (recording from the Mini 4 Pro) that I can read, but only using these programs (I used a free copy of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard).

So it's clear that the data is on the SD card, and the screen of the SC 2 controller continues to display the amount of recording time left on the card.

I always format the SD card in the Mini 4 Pro. I also noticed that the first data that is written to the SC card after formatting is recognized by my PC computer. The inability to read usually occurs when I record video in subsequent video sessions.

Another fact that I will report is that my Mini 3 Pro was seeing the same issue on a much more frequent basis, and when I bought my Mini 4 Pro, it never happened during the first month of operation. Therefore, I concluded (incorrectly) that it was related to the Mini 3 Pro. Now that it occurs on both the Mini 3 and Mini 4 Pro, I have to rule out that it is hardware related.

Could it be an issue with Sandisk SD cards? It has happened on different (very new) SD cards. I have not tried cards from different manufacturers, since the SD cards from Sandisk are the ones that DJI sells and promotes.

Any suggestions or similar experiences observed with this issue?

Since I posted my message yesterday, I have looked into programs that can recover data from media such as hard drives and SD cards.

I found that I could still see the video files that my computer cannot read from the SD card. They are still on the SD card, and I have added further files to the SD card (recording from the Mini 4 Pro) that I can read, but only using these programs (I used a free copy of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard).

So it's clear that the data is on the SD card, and the screen of the SC 2 controller continues to display the amount of recording time left on the card.

I always format the SD card in the Mini 4 Pro. I also noticed that the first data that is written to the SC card after formatting is recognized by my PC computer. The inability to read usually occurs when I record video in subsequent video sessions.

Another fact that I will report is that my Mini 3 Pro was seeing the same issue on a much more frequent basis, and when I bought my Mini 4 Pro, it never happened during the first month of operation. Therefore, I concluded (incorrectly) that it was related to the Mini 3 Pro. Now that it occurs on both the Mini 3 and Mini 4 Pro, I have to rule out that it is hardware related.

Could it be an issue with Sandisk SD cards? It has happened on different (very new) SD cards. I have not tried cards from different manufacturers, since the SD cards from Sandisk are the ones that DJI sells and promotes.

Any suggestions or similar experiences observed with this issue?

When you have transferred all the files from a card, do you format it? Or just trash/delete the files?

AND

Do you ever delete JUST one or a couple files in the field, and continue?

Best practice for some time has been to never delete individual files, and instead transfer all to three physically separate storage devices, and then format the SD card before reuse.

This creates a new, fresh directory each time. While SD can’t pet se get fragmented, the directory can certainly become “complicated” … in theory I could see this causing some file systems to have problems, especially for very large SD cards.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Here are the answers to your questions:

After the SD card is full and after all files have been transferred to my PC, I usually format the SD card in the Mini 4 Pro.

I never just delete one file in the field.

Why would you transfer to 3 physically separate storage devices??

What I have noticed is that the issues I have encountered so far happened when using 128G SD cards. I am now trying 64G card and so far, no problems.
I have also noticed that the problem usually shows up when I am flying the bird and my left hand accidently touches the left side of the RC 2 screen. Then I get the typical screen at SC 2 controller startup where you see the image of the drone and you can press the large blue screen tab at the bottom right where you can choose to Go Fly your drone.
Whenever this happens, more than likely I will be recording to a corrupted SD card.

Why would you transfer to 3 physically separate storage devices??
I should have prefaced, 3 physical for large productions. 2 physical for others.

Standard procedure in Hollywood. One goes to the DI house or the VFX house, one goes to editorial, and one goes to the vault (and stays there).

This reduces a catastrophic loss to very low probability.

Larger shows may have more, with one copy on a secure fault tolerant raid at the DI facility.

Make sure your SD card doesn't have a "fold" or crack in it. It doesn't take much. Hold it up to the light and look carefully at the black colored side of the card. I lost incredible footage due to the card corner having a crack from one side of the corner to the opposite side, about 3mm. Could barely see the fold. Sent it in to have the images recovered and they sent it back saying no images were ever recorded due to that tiny crack.

• Wow
Reactions: NightFlightAlright
Make sure your SD card doesn't have a "fold" or crack in it. It doesn't take much. Hold it up to the light and look carefully at the black colored side of the card. I lost incredible footage due to the card corner having a crack from one side of the corner to the opposite side, about 3mm. Could barely see the fold. Sent it in to have the images recovered and they sent it back saying no images were ever recorded due to that tiny crack.
Losing footage especially when you know it was good is the most heart sinking, depressing gut wrenching thing ever.

Could you at least use the recorded version from the remote control?

So I updated the Mavic 3 a few days ago and I captured about 2 Flights worth of Storm footage and when I put the SD card into the Window Computer it could not read it. Asked to Format !
Tried one of the Tricks to put the SD card back into the Drone to finish the the processing .

After Exhausting everyway to get the footage off the SD card , including online purging of the card on a paid website it was a fail.
To lose that dance I had with the Storm is a heartbreaking blow , as today I had to Reformat the Card in the Drone and all is working again.

I never thought once thought to reformat the SD card after an update ! even though I know those updates can change the Settings on the drone this one Got me good.
DJI , the love / hate relationship continues .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , Experience our Cinematic Pod Covers.
Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078