DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be aware of SD card !

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
So I updated the Mavic 3 a few days ago and I captured about 2 Flights worth of Storm footage and when I put the SD card into the Window Computer it could not read it. Asked to Format !
Tried one of the Tricks to put the SD card back into the Drone to finish the the processing .

After Exhausting everyway to get the footage off the SD card , including online purging of the card on a paid website it was a fail.
To lose that dance I had with the Storm is a heartbreaking blow , as today I had to Reformat the Card in the Drone and all is working again.

I never thought once thought to reformat the SD card after an update ! even though I know those updates can change the Settings on the drone this one Got me good.
DJI , the love / hate relationship continues .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , Experience our Cinematic Pod Covers.

So your theory is that the FW update corrupted the microSD card?
Can you replicate that?
I suspect it may, instead, just be a serendipitous coincidence.
What was the history of that particular card before the FW update?
It could also have been corrupted before the FW update, or it could also have been corrupted after the FW update, some time during the last two flights.
Can't imagine anything happening during a FW update that could corrupt the card.
However, anything is possible.

Never again want to replicate that loss.
For me , updates now require me to format card and check for video footage playback on the computer as there is no room for error.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water,

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
So I updated the Mavic 3 a few days ago and I captured about 2 Flights worth of Storm footage and when I put the SD card into the Window Computer it could not read it. Asked to Format !
Tried one of the Tricks to put the SD card back into the Drone to finish the the processing .

After Exhausting everyway to get the footage off the SD card , including online purging of the card on a paid website it was a fail.
To lose that dance I had with the Storm is a heartbreaking blow , as today I had to Reformat the Card in the Drone and all is working again.

I never thought once thought to reformat the SD card after an update ! even though I know those updates can change the Settings on the drone this one Got me good.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , Experience our Cinematic Pod Covers.
What brand of sd card did you use?

For me , updates now require me to format card and check for video footage playback on the computer as there is no room for error.
A firmware update is about the last thing that would have affected your SD card.
Did you try to copy the files across from the drone with a usb cable?

Phantomrain.org
You don't need to replicate the loss of important flight videos to replicate the corruption of the internal microSD card by a FW update, if it is in fact the culprit, which is highly unlikely. Just update the FW with a card inside and record a short test video to the card while the drone on the bench afterwards, and see if the card is still readable by your computer. I doubt you can replicate it.

Phantomrain.org
IMPOSSIBLE. Firmware updates will not corrupt your SD Card.

When was the last time you took the SD card out and looked at its data on your computer before your last firmware update?

Another question. If the drone recording functions seemed to be working, that does not mean the SD card is or was not corrupted. DID YOU TRY TURNING THE DRONE ON WITH THE SD CARD IN AND PLUGGING THE DRONE INTO THE usb PORT OF YOUR COMPUTER? If you did, i'm going to assume that didn't work.

Did you record the footage you mentioned, then update your firmware? If so, did you try recording anything immediately after the firmware update? If the firmware somehow caused a corruption, your SD should not allow recording and would have switched to the drone's internal memory.

Just so you know, I have never had an SD card in my drone become corrupted while it was inside the drone. If I had any corruption, It was caused before or after I inserted the card. Never occured inside the drone, firmware updates or not.

Sorry to hear you lost the footage though. Bummer.

I'm not criticizing your thoughts, just so you know, It's just a very out of the ordinary issue.

You don't need to replicate the loss of important flight videos to replicate the corruption of the internal microSD card by a FW update, if it is in fact the culprit, which is highly unlikely. Just update the FW with a card inside and record a short test video to the card while the drone on the bench afterwards, and see if the card is still readable by your computer. I doubt you can replicate it.

My suggestion as well

The SD card will fail sometime, and this may have been the time. To minimise the risk I always leave the card in & use the cable, because I am worried about the contacts when inserting & ejecting if you know what I mean 🤔

Reactions: RoosArt
FYI: If you have important media on the card, next time, before formatting it, try a data recovery program to recover your media. The files are in 3 minute increments, so even if you lose one of the files, you may recover the rest.
My data recovery program has recovered files even after a disk was reformatted. So it doesn't hurt to try vs losing important mission files.

Reactions: tanner707
Each drone I have has it own dedicated SD card as I have had issues before with switching the SD cards to each and every drone so I solved that issue. The Card was working fine that day but than the update came up ,and I updated using the Wifi on the outside deck.

There have been many issues where the SD card has failed and we all know the trick to put it back into the drone to finish processing. So to say its not Impossible is not true.

Anyway I suspect that before the drone finished it Processing of the video I had started the Update .

I did of course try Software on the SD card to fix it, and the results were very poor an time consuming .

After reformatting the Card in the DJI Drone its working fine again.
I will however be much more aware of the drone to finish its processing of the SD Card

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water .

If I have a problem like that with the sd card I test it carefully by throwing it in the trash. If it crawls out on its own I will keep it, otherwise I will get another card.
I am in agreement with trashing a bad or suspected sd card. It's not work the risk to keep using it. My suggestion was simply to try recovery of the videos before giving up and trashing it.

Each drone I have has it own dedicated SD card as I have had issues before with switching the SD cards to each and every drone so I solved that issue. The Card was working fine that day but than the update came up ,and I updated using the Wifi on the outside deck.

There have been many issues where the SD card has failed and we all know the trick to put it back into the drone to finish processing. So to say its not Impossible is not true.

Anyway I suspect that before the drone finished it Processing of the video I had started the Update .

I did of course try Software on the SD card to fix it, and the results were very poor an time consuming .

After reformatting the Card in the DJI Drone its working fine again.
I will however be much more aware of the drone to finish its processing of the SD Card

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water .
You gotta remember that by re-inserting the card then starting and ending a video is to fix a corrupted file and it will be the last file taken by the drone. It's not to fix a corrupt SD card. In your case the only solution would be using third party software to try to retrieve the file/s (which you did try). Then formatting the card to fix the corrupted card.

To minimise the risk I always leave the card in & use the cable, because I am worried about the contacts when inserting & ejecting if you know what I mean
You worry unnecessarily.
I've been flying for 8 years, change cards after each flight and have never had any problem woth contacts.
They are not as fragile as you imagine.
Each drone I have has it own dedicated SD card as I have had issues before with switching the SD cards to each and every drone so I solved that issue.
There's no problem with switching cards
That's not a failure of the SD card.
That's a failure of the operator to turn off the video before powering down the drone.
This results in a video file not being finalised with an end of file marker.
Processing?
Are you saying that you started the update while the video camera was still filming?
Once you stop videoing, there is no more "processing" to be done.

Phantomrain.org
Sorry - updated more times than you can shack a stick at and NEVER had that issue o_O

Have been doing digital photography/videography professionally for 16 years and NEVER had corrupted SD card since I was told, early in the days of digital capture by the manufacturer to ALWAYS format the card before use. Don't delete files, reformat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078