DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

be carefull where HOME point is set

If you don't get a home point confirmation then you don't have a home point, which means that the aircraft is flying without GPS positioning. That's likely to be a much more serious problem than simply the lack of a home point.
You are not supposed to hover unless you have GPS lock. Or, you are hovering on your own responsibility - after all, many people fly ATTI. Just don't expect your drone to come back by itself in case of trouble.

So what is the optimum altitude to hover until Home Point confirmation? And if you do NOT get Home Pt confirmation is the only option to land, reboot & try again?
There is no optimum height to hover until home point confirmation.
Normally, if launching in an open area, you will easily get GPS and record a home point on the ground.
If you are launching from a spot where obstacles block the skyview, you would have to climb to a position where your Mavic does have a clear view of most of the sky.
Until your drone acquires GPS signal, it will not have horizontal position holding, which would make flight close to obstacles risky.
I have not yet used RTH, and always land manually. But I consider the RTH option indispensable if needed.
It's good practice to try RTH to understand what it does, how it does it and how to initiate and cancel RTH.
It's much better to do that in a controlled situation.
The day you need RTH is not the best day to start learning about RTH.
Do it in a large, open area, fly out >60 feet and give it a go.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
Q: I hover & wait after takeoff for Home Pt update confirmation alert. Sometimes it does not occur. I have then aborted flight, restarted M2P & SC. What other options are there if Home Pt Update does not occur in timely way?

Part of my checklist process is to set the home point manually, after checking to ensure I have a satisfactory number of satellites indicated. I then check the location indicated on the map (in some cases I don’t have a map loaded so I skip that step). I guess this manual process is not supposed to be necessary, but I feel better about doing it this way. If I have multiple flights from the same location I repeat the process before taking off each time.

If you don't get a home point confirmation then you don't have a home point, which means that the aircraft is flying without GPS positioning. That's likely to be a much more serious problem than simply the lack of a home point.

Does the home point get set on takeoff, or when it's first powered on? What about if you land it and then takeoff again?

Might be a dumb question but I just realized I've never landed and taken off a second time on one battery, I fly without stopping until the battery is dead

Does the home point get set on takeoff, or when it's first powered on? What about if you land it and then takeoff again?

Might be a dumb question but I just realized I've never landed and taken off a second time on one battery, I fly without stopping until the battery is dead

It's set as soon as the aircraft gets a position lock. It's reset on takeoff if the solution has improved.

Reactions: old man mavic
It's set as soon as the aircraft gets a position lock. It's reset on takeoff if the solution has improved.

So in layman's terms, home point gets set as soon as the aircraft is powered on and has enough satellites to lock, and then updates the home point again on takeoff.

So it should also update the home point if I land it and take off again, right? Or do I need to do a manual home point for new location?

Yesterday I actually DID land it and takeoff again for the first time because I was testing a new landing pad I purchased. On the second takeoff, I didn't hear the lady say "home point has been updated" like she usually does. But it might be because my second takeoff was 3 inches from the first takeoff and the home point was virtually the same, heh.

So in layman's terms, home point gets set as soon as the aircraft is powered on and has enough satellites to lock, and then updates the home point again on takeoff.

So it should also update the home point if I land it and take off again, right? Or do I need to do a manual home point for new location?

Yesterday I actually DID land it and takeoff again for the first time because I was testing a new landing pad I purchased. On the second takeoff, I didn't hear the lady say "home point has been updated" like she usually does. But it might be because my second takeoff was 3 inches from the first takeoff and the home point was virtually the same, heh.

The home point is not updated if you just land and take off again.

it would only reset if you had actually turned off the drone and gone through the start up procedure again, be careful about pressing the manual home point setting if you are some way off as that then becomes the home point if it decides to do a RTH

I thought it resets home point when you stop and restart the motors (while keeping the drone on, of course)
you could be right its something i have not tried myself but it would not be of any use ,unless you have a clear line between the drone and the RC and it would mean that you would be a long way from it if it did a RTH

Often I've not heard the audible "HP has been updated... " (no it's not because of phone volume setting) but I do have GPS lock and HP. I suspect other alerts appearing right after the HP alert preempts it being said.

If you have green "ready to fly" then you should have HP set. I wouldn't suggest taking off until you have GPS. VPS could cover you in the mean time, but if you fly horizontally, or even just vertically, your HP may not be where you expect it.

Again, that depends on the definition of land. When she says "landing", motors shut off on touchdown. Immediately takeoff on such landing will reset homepoint.

Not sure how one would distinguish terms of landing with motor cutoff, which is usually what occurs vs landing with motors left idle.

That was why I wrote "just land and take off again" - i.e. rather than shutting down the motors.
Again, that depends on the definition of land. When she says "landing", motors shut off on touchdown. Immediately takeoff on such landing will reset homepoint.

Not sure how one would distinguish terms of landing with motor cutoff, which is usually what occurs vs landing with motors left idle.

Hmm ... this makes me wonder.

Now I have landing protection active, but can't actually figure out how to land without cutting the motors. Throttle down until autoland starts (VPS height <0,5m), it goes down & stop motors. Pushing land button in GO4 ... the same behavior.

Am I having a brain fart this morning or will touch down with landing protection active cut the motors ..?

@slup no matter what type of landing my MPP or MM do the moment they land the motors stop maybe the home point will only reset if you power down the drone it is something i will have to try for myself when i fly next to see if after landing and then taking off again with everything connected that the home point stays the same

Reactions: slup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc