DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bees attack

mrparish

Reactions
Every time I go to a certain area the drone gets swarmed by bees. Anyone else have this issue?
When I land it’s absolutely covered in bee guts.

They won't like the sound, so getting close to their nest will provoke them.

Have any video, might be fun to watch.

I have the same issue with barn swallows near a bridge at the farm. I don't fly the Air near them for fear of them taking me out, but I harass them with my fpv racing drone.

Same happened to me with my mavic pro. I think they atracted the bees because of how they sound, and the drones do sound like a swarm of bees. All I do is turn on Sport Mode and get the hell outta there.

They won't like the sound, so getting close to their nest will provoke them.

Have any video, might be fun to watch.

I have the same issue with barn swallows near a bridge at the farm. I don't fly the Air near them for fear of them taking me out, but I harass them with my fpv racing drone.

Its better to not harass nesting migratory birds, there’s even a Federal law about that. But being a responsible drone owner, I know its just by accident that it happened.

Every time I go to a certain area the drone gets swarmed by bees. Anyone else have this issue?

Do you live in the warmer southern states and is it possible they are Africanized bees? Mediterranean bees, even in the wild, havent done that to mine. Id keep people away from that area when they get stirred up like that just in case.

Its better to not harass nesting migratory birds, there’s even a Federal law about that. But being a responsible drone owner, I know its just by accident that it happened.
Barn Swallows are protected? No idea, but they are more of a pain in the *** bird around the farm. Amazing that in their numbers they need protecting. They ruin the paint on tractors in the barn and are horrible when they nest on your porch.

You made me look it up, 1918 law. Who knew? Ignorance of the law isn't protection from it, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Zeke and AMann
Barn Swallows are protected? No idea, but they are more of a pain in the *** bird around the farm. Amazing that in their numbers they need protecting. They ruin the paint on tractors in the barn and are horrible when they nest on your porch.

You made me look it up, 1918 law. Who knew? Ignorance of the law isn't protection from it, thanks for the tip.

Oh geesh, my mistake. I used to know about that law because my old job dealt with wildlife surveys and assessments. I just read that the MBTA law of 1918 was just updated by the current US administration to say if the intent was not trying to take nesting birds, e.g. not intentionally trapping or hunting them, then you are not guilty of harming the birds under the law. Many states such as California still have their own version of that law too though. Anyways, you can probably carry on!

They do eat the same insects that ruin your crops, cant all be that bad! :)
Just their droppings on the porches and in the barns on the tractors is annoying. Will eat paint if not removed, granted it's only a tractor, but is sucks when it's a 200k combine.

I'll leave the bridge ones alone, but those near the house and barns will probably be harassed. :)

Reactions: Zeke and AMann
If you've flown a Spark before, you know it kinda sounds like a pack of angry bees. I was flying near an abandoned house in the woods when a swarm of bees (looked like honey bees) came upon me and one of them stung me on the ear. Could have been because I was flying 6 feet off the ground...no higher. It's never happened since then. And the swallows... yep, from time to time they circle the Spark. Mavic Pro, never a problem! Must be the (much) quieter props.

When I first got into fly drones, I would fly it across the park and hummingbirds would come out of the trees and fly with it for a distance across the park. So I named my drone Hummingbird ...Ha
I have also seen other birds that come out to fly with it.

Happens all the time when i fly on the same spot, tried twice and never came back there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580