DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner question about controllers

ramjet66

Reactions
I shall read the other postings listed just now, but I wish to ask my question regardless: I would like to have some concrete information related to the why or not, to use either wi-fi only devices on my controller or spend more for a cellular version? I have seen comments, videos etc. of the devices (don't want to muddy the waters by stating brands) but it seems that to have full functionality one needs to have the full cell models connected. I understand a little about the range limitations of wi-fi and perhaps some interference, but I have not yet read any real data or solid info about differences between the two types. Anyone may answer, (please no rude comments) because I am ready to start fling my new Mavic Pro and wish to be satisfied that I am on solid footing. Cheers to all; Roger D.

I shall read the other postings listed just now, but I wish to ask my question regardless: I would like to have some concrete information related to the why or not, to use either wi-fi only devices on my controller or spend more for a cellular version? I have seen comments, videos etc. of the devices (don't want to muddy the waters by stating brands) but it seems that to have full functionality one needs to have the full cell models connected. I understand a little about the range limitations of wi-fi and perhaps some interference, but I have not yet read any real data or solid info about differences between the two types. Anyone may answer, (please no rude comments) because I am ready to start fling my new Mavic Pro and wish to be satisfied that I am on solid footing. Cheers to all; Roger D.

You seem a little confused, lets put you right,
WIFI versus Cell devices, as in phones tablets etc, the phone tablet etc only needs cell service to have internet connection to download maps when flying, however you can cache maps before flying using your home broadband. Plenty of people such as myself have used the Ipad Mini 4 WIFI only version and have no issues with it, except for (see below)

Some apple devices that are WIFI only dont have a GPS chip built in so certain things in the app such as set home point to location of tablet wont work, on the flip side a lot of Android tablets have a GPS chip built in, this can be ascertained by downloading a free road map program and seeing if it works.

The Apple devices with Cell service have GPS chips in them and are an ideal device due to their reliability with the DJI brand, that said there are a lot of Android Devices that work just as well.

Now here is the bit im confused about, you ask about limitation of WIFI, the Mavic does not use WIFI as such to communicate with the controller but uses a system called OcuSynch which is a higher spec version of WIFI and suffers little if no interference except in highly congested areas, I think you may be mistaking the Mavic with the Phantom 3 Standard which uses basic WIFI (not Ocusynch) and as such has a limited range (open to debate by some)

You can fly the Mavic using WIFI mode where the controller is replaced with the tablet phone etc and yes this has a limited range and in my limited testing doesnt work very well.

Now please go Fling your Mavic (couldnt help that, check your spelling)

Hope that answers your question

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98