DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginners Mode - Actually Very Dangerous

If you want to take it slow at first put your MP in tripod mode.
Yeah - thought the same thing... what could go wrong in Tripod mode. Went from 3 feet from the MP at 5 feet off the ground to lost connection and obstacle avoidance kicking into RTH. Seeing the MP go from 5 feet to hundreds of feet was a bit nerve racking especially not knowing what had happened. Beg mode is like a big fence ... you can drive to each corner and it will direct you back each time, no auto land no issue(s) other than lethargic flight characteristics.

During my learning time... In beginner mode... I was far away from bushes and water.... On a flat dry area.

If you fly over water or bushes , especially as a newbie pilot, get ready for crashes into water and bushes.

Beginner mode is actually very NOT dangerous.

I got my Drone 4 Weeks ago and the Beginner's Mode almost broke my drone two times until I switched it off.

First incident: (Los Angeles)
I was hovering around my self, close to the bushes, but still 5-10 Meters high. Suddenly the drone forced itself to land, and I couldn't do anything and it landed directly on the bushes. It wasn't a bad crash and as the bushes were really tight, it kind of landed, trimming some leaves.

However, the second one almost dumped the drone into the water. (Rio)
I was at the shore line, 20-30 Meters away from the water and took off, took some videos and pictures. After that, I got more confidence so I went a little closer to the shoreline (10 Meters High) and the drone suddenly gave me the warning "maximum distance reached" and started landing!!! And again, I couldn't take control, I run to catch the drone and it was about to land on the water. Luckily the moment the waves went back, freeing up the shore, I was able to rescue it.
have you checked all you settings, in particular: RTH on disconnect, not HOVER or LAND

I am not sure but it shouldn't be that easy to crash the Drone? Any thoughts?

Flew mine for the first time this past weekend. Started off in beginner mode. Upon reaching the altitude and distance ceiling, it barked at me and would go no farther, but it did not unilaterally land. Simply wouldn’t go higher or farther. I did manage to observe the RTH and auto landing features when my battery depleted, but that was a controlled test with the bird hovering over my LZ.

Beginner mode will not force land if it hits a distance limit.
What CAN happen is because the drone is kept close then RTH if used will auto land where it is instead of coming home. If its within 60ft it'll land where it is. The manual says this but most people cant be bothered to read the manual.
Beginner mode isnt dangerous in the slightest. Flying near bushes and over water without familiarising yourself with its behaviour first strikes me as more dangerous.
To be fair, I read the manual and now that you say that I do remember it. Their is ALOT to learn if you are new to drones so please don't jump to conclusions.

No... Beginner mode is NOT dangerous. But, not understanding the flight and handling characteristics of these drones IS INDEED dangerous. In beginner mode when the Mavic hits that invisible wall, It does not auto-land. It announces it to you, then stops and waits for control input away from that invisible fence.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
First flight with my own Mavic(but not my first flight with a Mavic) on Sunday and the first thing I did was switch beginners mode off because the Mavic was all over the place.

First flight with my own Mavic(but not my first flight with a Mavic) on Sunday and the first thing I did was switch beginners mode off because the Mavic was all over the place.
"All over the place"? Seriously? You had something happening then, because my first beginner mode flights were ridiculously, boringly stable, flights. Let go of the sticks and she hung in the air like being suspended on a wire. Move the sticks and she responded instantly but in relatively slow motion. Yeah, if yours was "all over the place" you definitely had /have a problem.

Reactions: kakao
"All over the place"? Seriously? You had something happening then, because my first beginner mode flights were ridiculously, boringly stable, flights. Let go of the sticks and she hung in the air like being suspended on a wire. Move the sticks and she responded instantly but in relatively slow motion. Yeah, if yours was "all over the place" you definitely had /have a problem.

It was going up and down left and right just 6 inches each way about 8 feet off the ground as if it was trying to find its bearings,no warnings on the remote,as soon as I switched beginners mode off it settled down.

If its within 60ft it'll land where it is. The manual says this but most people cant be bothered to read the manual.

I can't see this in the manual! Maybe it's been updated since you posted, but in my manual, on p16, it says "Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 16ft (5m) radius of the Home Point." Not 60ft - which is a massive distance in GPS terms.

Am I missing something? Is there conflicting advice on a different page of the manual? (Wouldn't an index be nice!)

Beginner mode isn't dangerous. Auto-landing for no apparent reason is.

first of all, I think the reason his MP was bouncing around, was because he was to close to the ground, the down sensors were trying to stabilize the bird. and the second issue, it land immediately when RTH was activated is because he was to close to home. Read the manual again, and when you are done, read it again.

Reactions: shoemaker
As others have mentioned, my beginners mode seemed to work like I expected. When it reached max distance, it stopped and let me know. No auto-land. Big open spaces for me when learning.

Reactions: shoemaker
No since beginner mode prevents you form entering sports mode.

It's really meant for your first flights in a foodlball field kind of place with no obstacles or anything, once you have an idea of what the sticks do it should be deactivated (and you should learn about all the different things that could happen).

Hi

I have a Mavic Air fly more combo. I have put about one hours flying into it and I'm amazed at just the beginners level. It seems I have amassed 7000+ experience points and am on LV8 - whatever that really means. I'm not being big headed when I say think I have got a decent feel of the controls already but, if I turn off beginners mode, will the aircraft controls change drastically?

Regards

Tony O

... if I turn off beginners mode, will the aircraft controls change drastically?...
No. It just removes the beginner mode limits. The sticks may also seem more responsive (I can't remember) but you can dampen them down in GO 4 to what feels good to you.

EDIT: I have a MP. Not sure of differences with the Air.

Reactions: Stubru
i also had the scariest flights of my breif flying carreer using beginner mode, i was very cautious and she did some weird behaviour and i lost control a few times, this only happend in beginner mode, not sure if it was interfierince as i was near a skatboard park full or rebar,,,, but she scared the daylights out of me, didnt force land but actually wouldnt land,,,, and didnt respond to stick movements very well,

No. It just removes the beginner mode limits. The sticks may also seem more responsive (I can't remember) but you can dampen them down in GO 4 to what feels good to you.

EDIT: I have a MP. Not sure of differences with the Air.

Beginner mode forces GPS. Be aware of that when you turn that off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph