DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Besides waypoints, Litchi vs. DJI Go?

SpyderSkeets

Reactions
I know waypoints are the big thing for Litchi, but I am just wondering if, besides waypoints, what one is better? Does Litchi do all the things that Go does, plus? Does Go do all the things Litchi does, less waypoints?

DJI waypoints have to be flown to first to record the position. Litchi can be set remotely. Dji is more accurate as you can exactly frame the subject. Litchi can be useful when you don't want to fly your route in advance

Litchi also has FPV using a cheap headset. I’ve been testing it in the beta version and it’s great.

Reactions: mcascone
DJI waypoints have to be flown to first to record the position. Litchi can be set remotely. Dji is more accurate as you can exactly frame the subject. Litchi can be useful when you don't want to fly your route in advance
U can now use Google earth pro and plot your mission in full 3D ....then send them to LITCHI ....
Much more accurate

Litchi focus is glitchy. You have to be extremely careful or you'll wind up with OOF footage. I've not found that issue with Go 4.

Litchi focus is glitchy. You have to be extremely careful or you'll wind up with OOF footage. I've not found that issue with Go 4.

I must agree... I took some photos using Litchi yesterday, and found out when I got home to look at them that most were blurry... this is with manually focusing each shot. I also haven't had it happen using DJI Go...

Ah, MA - I was just looking through the "trending" section and didn't notice that. Makes chances much better, I would think. Still, my Mavic Pro focus is great - I flew a mission with Litchi and the left side was OOF. Strange.
I like the way the panorama function works. Again, for the MP focus can be an issue.
If you get Litchi, search for "Virtual Litchi Mission" on this board. It's invaluable; probably should be part of the Litchi app but was designed and given away for free by a fella on this forum.
Designing a mission on your computer, flying it virtually in Google Earth with Virtual Litchi Mission, and seeing almost exactly how your footage is going to look before you ever fly is invaluable. The focus thing for me has been pretty much a deal killer, but with the MA, maybe not an issue...

I know waypoints are the big thing for Litchi, but I am just wondering if, besides waypoints, what one is better? Does Litchi do all the things that Go does, plus? Does Go do all the things Litchi does, less waypoints?
Taking waypoints off the table I don’t see any reason to consider Litchi over Go 4.

While I purchased Litchi I only use it for missions... and missions are essentially waypoints. For anything else I use Go 4.

Mike

Reactions: BKahuna
Quick question - do you have to buy Litchi twice if you switch between IOS and Android devices when you fly?

Sometimes I use my Apple IPad tablet and other times my Samsung S7 phone and just wanted to check before buying.

If you do have to buy it twice which OS works best with this app?

Thank you :)

I must agree... I took some photos using Litchi yesterday, and found out when I got home to look at them that most were blurry... this is with manually focusing each shot. I also haven't had it happen using DJI Go...
It's not just camera focus that is the issue, it's the framing. No end of time i've tried to track a POI or used virtual litchi missions only to find the camera drift away from the subject.

Quick question - do you have to buy Litchi twice if you switch between IOS and Android devices when you fly?

Sometimes I use my Apple IPad tablet and other times my Samsung S7 phone and just wanted to check before buying.

You have to buy both.

Can’t answer whether the iOS or Android version is better.

Mike

Reactions: TonkaToyz

If U have Litchi on one operating system & want to change to another, you can buy on the other app site & get a refund from the developer. Check with what proof they require. I mean like a long term change and not say swap between operating systems from flight to flight.

Reactions: TonkaToyz
My observations (and others will likely dispute)

1) NFZ’s - Litchi Wins - Able to fly in areas that DJI Go considers NFZ’s, even though the FAA does not.
2) Stability - DJI Go Wins - While I’ve seen multiple updates to DJI Go in the past 4 months, I can’t say that I’ve seen any in the last couple of months for Litchi. Litchi doesn’t appear to be quite as “refined” as DJI Go (but it’s not trying to control every single feature of the drone, like DJI Go is). Litchi has forced my tablet to reboot, more than once, I don’t think that DJI Go has ever done that.
3) Speed - Litchi Wins - if you want to just uncase and fly, Litchi takes no time at all to get up and running, whereas DJI Go wants to throw advertisements for the other consumer-grade drones they sell, and check firmware (EVERY TIME?)(even though it could do more of this offline). Litchi just opens up straight away into the flying app, no muss, no fuss.
4) Hardware Compatibility - Lithci Wins- I, and many other users with older, but recommended hardware, have had do down-grade DJI Go in order to run the app. The latest versions are not as efficient, and users have been experiencing video feed issues with versions that have been put out this past January and later.
5) OS Compatibility and cost - DJI Go Wins - Both apps have options for Android and IOS, but, of course, DJI Go is “free”, and no additional cost for installation two different OS devices.
6) FPV Cost - Litchi wins - Sure, DJI has some killer FPV glasses, but at $300, is it practical? If you’re a pro, sure, but for most people with an MP, FPV is a novelty, and requires a second observer to maintain LOS. FPV with Litchi comes at no additional cost if you have a smartphone and cheap pair of 3D goggles lying around. Granted, with Litchi, you’re going to lose all control functions that you would otherwise have had with your touch-screen while using the goggles, but you can still perform the basic control functions that the RC allows.
7) Cost - DJI Go Wins - The cost of Litchi has gone up, but the cost is still reasonable for what you get. Running IOS and Android doubles that investment for Litchi. If you’re reading this around November, keep an eye out for black friday deals on Litchi.
8) Waypoints - Litchi wins (with a caveat) - I bought Litichi for the waypoints feature alone, but I, like many other users, experience an issue where the gimbal sometimes pans up and down uncontrollably. Some of those “in the know”, state that the issue is because the MP is losing connection with the RC, my MP certainly isn’t losing connection when it’s 20ft away, but the gimbal still pans up and down uncontrollably on some flights. I have flown much farther from my RC with Drone Deploy, and never experienced the up/down panning with it. When it works (it usuallly does), Litchi’s waypoints feature is pretty awesome, it gives you the ability to define your camera’s focal point, along multiple waypoints, and provided you don’t have any obstructions in your path, you can pre-program an automated flight, fire up the drone, and it does it’s thing. It doesn’t always end the mission as programmed, but it has always hit all of the waypoints that I’ve programmed.
9) Advanced control functions - DJI Go Wins - it should come as no surprise that the native app is able to control more functions than a 3rd party app.
10) Documentation - DJI Go wins - Litchi’s guide is pretty vague, I’m still trying to figure out all of the different options for the Focus mode.

If DJI Go were quicker to fire up, and had the same waypoints function as Litchi, I wouldn’t use Litchi.

A major feature of litchi is the possibility of preparing mission with my PC, then test it virtualy with VLM and GE. Missions can be organized any time, anywhere , no need to have the drone., i can do that seated in my lounge with a confortable screen........., there is nothing like this in Go. GO is good but give a minimum of features, just to market the product, no comparison possible with litchi that has an enormous potential!

A major feature of litchi is the possibility of preparing mission with my PC, then test it virtualy with VLM and GE. Missions can be organized any time, anywhere , no need to have the drone., i can do that seated in my lounge with a confortable screen........., there is nothing like this in Go. GO is good but give a minimum of features, just to market the product, no comparison possible with litchi that has an enormous potential!
What are "VLM" and "GE"?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi