DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best device for Mavic Mini

Mtnguy

Reactions
My 14 year old grandson just got a mini for his birthday. His phone is an android 9 and is apparently not compatible with the controller. Which phone would be the best choice. I'm looking for an unlocked, used phone to be dedicated to his new drone. Thanks

hello xiaomi phones are good compromises not very expensive and efficient I personally xiaomi redmi note 7 and 8 and they work very well but there are others.

Any iPhone 6 or later will work.
Also, if I may recommend one or two other inexpensive accessories... a gimbal hood/protector. You know your grandson is going to crash it at least once or twice. The gimbal on the Mini is more exposed than other Mavic models with the body being very close to the ground. It also serves to keep unwanted light off the lens in some conditions which reduces image contrast. I also highly recommend leg extenders.
Gimbal hood

Reactions: Gary R
Any iPhone 6 or later will work.
Also, if I may recommend one or two other inexpensive accessories... a gimbal hood/protector. You know your grandson is going to crash it at least once or twice. The gimbal on the Mini is more exposed than other Mavic models with the body being very close to the ground. It also serves to keep unwanted light off the lens in some conditions which reduces image contrast. I also highly recommend leg extenders.
Gimbal hood

Do you replace the hood with the protector that came with the drone when storing it or do you leave the hood on full time?

mikeg

Don't choose a device by its brand or if it's a iPhone or Android. The main reason is the DJI Fly App only work with a 64 bits OS. Be careful because a device can use a 64 bits a processor but run with a 32 bits OS. So yes you can use a cheap android phone as long as the android version is 64 bits.

My 14 year old grandson just got a mini for his birthday. His phone is an android 9 and is apparently not compatible with the controller. Which phone would be the best choice. I'm looking for an unlocked, used phone to be dedicated to his new drone. Thanks
iPad mini for sure.

Reactions: RMS001
Inexpensive, powerful and new, this Xiaomi will work

Reactions: Ph3onix
Do you replace the hood with the protector that came with the drone when storing it or do you leave the hood on full time?

mikeg
It takes 15 seconds to swap the the lens hood and gimbal protector, so I always put the protector back on. The gimbal is the most fragile piece of equipment on a drone, especially the motors. I think its best to keep it as protected as possible both in flight and in storage. Also, your grandson needs to learn how to inspect the propellers, and learn to do it before every flight- and make sure they are straight. It is SO easy for the props to warp. That can happen by improper case storage. That happened to me once and I thought I was being careful in putting it away in its case [see photo below]. Any issue with the props can cause instability in flight, particularly when hovering. Props with too much vertical play at the screw base can also cause instability. Learning care and maintenance of props are essential, especially with the Mini because they are so thin.

Distorted_Blades.jpg

Fyi, my blades warped because I left it in the case in my car during a stretch of hot weather. I’m always careful when putting it into the case that came with the fly more combo so I know a bad install was not the cause. I’ve read that others have had the same issue so I store it outside the case on the bookcase when not traveling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki