DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best screen/device to connect to controller?

Aussiepilot74

Reactions
Hi all

Never flown a drone before and have a Mavic 2 Pro due to arrive soon. May I ask what is the best device to use and connect to the controller? I only have an Iphone 6 but I don't want to rely on this in case family members wish to borrow the drone for the day.

I do have a 1st generation ipad pro 12.9" cellular but it just seems to large for this particular purpose.

Aussiepilot74

i prefer using a tablet personally. i have a note8, and i find that to be too small. i have a mavmount for my 10.3" and 9.7" tablets

Reactions: Aussiepilot74
I'm personally just about to upgrade from my iphone SE to a Huawei M5, from what i can tell it seems to be a decent combination. The phone works fine it just seem a little small for me.

Dan

Hi all

Never flown a drone before and have a Mavic 2 Pro due to arrive soon. May I ask what is the best device to use and connect to the controller? I only have an Iphone 6 but I don't want to rely on this in case family members wish to borrow the drone for the day.

I do have a 1st generation ipad pro 12.9" cellular but it just seems to large for this particular purpose.

Aussiepilot74
First off, Welcome to Mavic Pilots! On my Mavic 2 Pro I use the CrystalSky 5.5" It is a good size and brightness in sunlight is awesome. The CrystalSky is just recently compatible with the Mavic 2 with a software update. Here is a video on how I mounted it:

Hey mate,

What you need to find is a phone off the compatibility list and see how many NITS it has....

The DJI Crystal Sky is just over 2000, great for outdoor use. However I could justify the cost and went with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 which has NIT of just over 1000 and double what I was using with my oppo. It has made so much difference :) Still can't fly for crap, but at least I can see what's happening !

Bigger won't necessarily mean better, it really comes down to the brightness.

Some great replies, so thanks to all for your input. I will check out all the suggestions and whilst I would like Crystal Sky it is out of my budget. I was contemplating upgrading my iphone 6 for a Samsung S9 so will check out to see if that is compatible and brighter etc.

Or do I just wait for DJI to release the new controller they are supposed to be bringing out with a 5.5" screen in it?

I will also have a look to see what is brighter out of the ipad 9.7" and the Ipad mini 4.

The mini 4 is about 500 nits IIRC. That's what I've been using and quite happy with it. I think it's the largest device that will fit in to the holder. I've got a sun screen that slides over the antennae that helps to block direct sunlight. I'd like a brighter display but don't want anything smaller than the mini 4's 8" display.

Reactions: Kingram
I will also have a look to see what is brighter out of the ipad 9.7" and the Ipad mini 4.

Just answered my own question in regards to which current ipad is best: The ipad mini 4 is better for outdoor use on bright days as it has a laminated screen whereas the ipad 9.7" does not have a laminated screen and is not as good when operating outdoors on bright days.

The ipad mini 4 can also be used in the standard controllers mounting bracket if preferred or with an extra mounting bracket to re-position it where the 9.7" ipad must use an extra mount as it won't fit in the controllers standard bracket.

I am thinking the screen of most smart phones won't be big enough and I would really like a solution so family members can borrow the complete kit without taking my mobile phone

What are peoples experience of using the 1st generation ipad pro 12.9"?

Reactions: tgjmtaylor
upload_2018-9-18_21-30-29.png

Just did a quick search about the ipad…

My Oppo was about 500 nits, absolutely useless on a sunny day, even tried a hood.. The more NITS the better so make sure you check that first before committing to a purchase :)

Just sourced a second hand ipad mini 4 64 gig cellular for $299.25 AUD to use with my MV2. I chose this screen as it came highly recommended from 3 local drone resellers in my area. I will test it out and for the price I got it for if I am not happy with it I am sure I can on-sell it and not lose any $$$'s.

My intention though is to use this setup until DJI hopefully release the proposed remote control with internal 5.5" monitor and then purchase that.

Reactions: Shaughan