DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of Temp NFZ Activating while your in the Air. Drone downed by DJI

Oh man, sorry about that but I appreciate the warning for us a lot! Was the NFZ already loaded on the controller, or were you connected to internet while flying? Also, did the NFZ appear on any NOTAMS about for the day? I try to check them daily when I fly but have skipped it when flying at a regular spot, I guess that’s a bad thing to do. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerMav
This is a really egregious oversight by DJI— please report it to them. Even if their policy is to overly comply with laws, the current situation is dangerous and inevitably will result in injury or in the least bad pr. They should be very happy for the info.

Reactions: Shon and dawgpilot
This is absurd. If anything the drone should RTH, not land. I also wonder what it would do if you bump into the edge of a permanent NFZ? Does it land there or RTH?

Reactions: RogerMav
Its not a great system by DJI for sure *BUT* even temporary NFZs are clearly listed in NOTAMs long before they become active so there really is no excuse for not knowing.

Maybe a better DJI solution would be for say 30 mins prior to activation it warns you to come home and only does the immediate landing when its active. That would seem a better compromise. Better than having a drone trying to fly home (and therefore over, around obstacles etc) IN an area it shouldnt be at all.

This is absurd. If anything the drone should RTH, not land. I also wonder what it would do if you bump into the edge of a permanent NFZ? Does it land there or RTH?

The purpose of a NFZ/Restricted Zone is to completely DisAllow any flights. Why in the world would you allow an aircraft to fly autonomously within a Restricted Zone? The only viable option is to have the aircraft AutoLand if it finds itself within a Restricted Zone.

If we're going to operate within the NAS we need to spend the time and effort to do the research and planning ahead of time to try and prevent this from happening. I hate this happened to the OP's aircraft but at some point we have to step up and take responsibility for lack of planning/research.

I fully expect other manufacturers to follow DJI's process with GeoFencing in the future as a means to try and work within the NAS framework or risk not being allowed to produce/sell sUAS globally.

The purpose of a NFZ/Restricted Zone is to completely DisAllow any flights. Why in the world would you allow an aircraft to fly autonomously within a Restricted Zone? The only viable option is to have the aircraft AutoLand if it finds itself within a Restricted Zone.

If we're going to operate within the NAS we need to spend the time and effort to do the research and planning ahead of time to try and prevent this from happening. I hate this happened to the OP's aircraft but at some point we have to step up and take responsibility for lack of planning/research.

I fully expect other manufacturers to follow DJI's process with GeoFencing in the future as a means to try and work within the NAS framework or risk not being allowed to produce/sell sUAS globally.

How about a warning before a temporary NFZ activates? Or a “soft” NFZ restriction, like you have 30 seconds to land, perhaps only allowing flight away from the center of the NFZ? NFZs have a large buffer built in, so 30 seconds should not allow someone to threaten the object/event dictating a NFZ. Autolanding in 3 seconds is crazy— and I do not believe that any law specifies this behavior.

Reactions: Shon and RogerMav
How about a warning before a temporary NFZ activates? Or a “soft” NFZ restriction, like you have 30 seconds to land, perhaps only allowing flight away from the center of the NFZ? NFZs have a large buffer built in, so 30 seconds should not allow someone to threaten the object/event dictating a NFZ. Autolanding in 3 seconds is crazy— and I do not believe that any law specifies this behavior.

No the law specifies No Flying...

Reactions: sar104
My P4Ps and M2P have NFZ deleted. This is a perfect example of why people should not let DJI control their drones.

It's also a perfect example of why DJI implemented their geofencing in the first place - pilots who can't even be bothered to check for airspace restrictions before flying.

How about pilots take some personal responsibility for their actions? If that happened then we would likely see a lot fewer calls for tighter regulation.

Reactions: Shon and BigAl07
Do not fly with internet connection, and it will not be aware of temporary zones.
Overall, as soon as proper hacked firmware will be available, i will install it, but, for now they are on a very early version, i do not think it is safe to use.
There are apps to see status of flying regulations in the location, so, one is responsible to be aware of what it is. But, i do not want my vehicle to make any decisions instead of me.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
Do not fly with internet connection, and it will not be aware of temporary zones.
Overall, as soon as proper hacked firmware will be available, i will install it, but, for now they are on a very early version, i do not think it is safe to use.

There you go - sage advice on how to fly completely illegally without losing your aircraft¡

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I am not a proponent of any illegal actions. But, i am for a freedom to be able to choose my actions. Everyone chooses for himself.

And yet you posted that as the solution to a pilot complaining that he lost his aircraft because he flew (illegally) in a TFR.

If you’re already flying at altitude, your only option is to continue— aborting in a safe manner. Not only does DJI’s software not encourage that, but it creates a dangerous situation with little time to respond.

Autoland is a safe abort.

And yet you posted that as the solution to a pilot complaining that he lost his aircraft because he flew (illegally) in a TFR.
Well... It is his choice, to abide the law or not. I believe that anyone deserves to have a choice, and it does not mean to be free of consequences if choices were done poorly. Not to know how your vehicle operates and yet to fly it is one of such choices. To blame manufacturer for consequences of your actions is also, well, not very productive, but, here we go into finger pointing stage, and it is pointless.

I see your point here, but, i remain at my opinion on this topic, i do not want any big brother logic enforced in my robots.

I don’t want to split hairs about what “safe” means, but there are better solutions than abruptly landing wherever a flying thing happens to be overtop of.
Better solution would be not to fly over water.... If you do, you must simply accept the chance that it may drop into that water and be lost.
Dji builds are very reliable, but it is far off 100 per cent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctiptonk