DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of the Solar Storm!

• Thread starter Deleted member 154384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 154384

Attention to solar storms could confuse our onboard GPS and more.
Sene is talking about solar activity these days and before flying, check out the UAV forecast app. (KP index).

this at night, but a few days ago during the afternoon it reported from 4 to 5 kp.
Italy kp
20210901_205029.jpg

Attention to solar storms could confuse our onboard GPS and more.
Sene is talking about solar activity these days and before flying, check out the UAV forecast app. (KP index).
There won't be any noticeable effect on your drone flying, just as there has never been any every other time people have spread such warnings.

There won't be any noticeable effect on your drone flying, just as there has never been any every other time people have spread such warnings.
100% agree.

I have been working with satellite GPS positioning in land survey mapping since around 1993. Occasionally there are solar storm warnings that have the potential to interfere with satellite signals to Earth and so warnings about positional accuracies for anyone relying on GPS coordination are issued with good reason. There is common sense to be applied here: if there are GPS warnings issued, look for them and take heed. The DJI drones that rely on GPS signals for waypoints, navigation and RTH accuracy should be used with due caution until any chance of signal interference is gone.

This was posted maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
Here is a post from a user that works in the industry also. I tend to side on his wisdom. Others may not.

"A little primer on geomagnetic storms and GPS.

A geomagnetic storm is when a shock wave from a solar flare smacks into the earth's magnetic field, which triggers a lot of disturbances in our ionosphere due to a wiggling magnetic field and increasing the electron density. Huge geomagnetic storms (K index 8-9) are rare. The triggering flare has to be huge (an M or X class flare), located near the center of the sun to directly strike the earth, and one that produces a strong coronal mass ejection (CME) - or the shock wave. The CME usually takes about 3 days to strike the earth following the flare. If conditions are right, it can trigger a major geomagnetic storm which usually has a duration of several hours.

During a major geomagnetic storm, GPS signals from the satellite to our UAV's GPS receivers gets bent by the increased electron density, which increases the path length and introduces position errors. The disturbed ionosphere can also cause degraded signal-to-noise problems, meaning your receiver may loose lock on one or more birds. Also, the bending of signals can also cause "phase slips, which can also cause the receiver to temporarily loose lock on the GPS, taking a few seconds to tens of seconds to relock on the dropped satellite.

Scientific experiments done during strong geomagnetic storms shows the bending of the path length can cause up to about 30M (100 foot) errors in position at mid-latitudes (like the US/Europe and Australia), and slightly worse near the equator. Again, this is during a MAJOR geomagnetic storm of K=8 or 9. Thus, I would expect no effects to a UAV below K=7.I have flown in K7 with no ill effects.

With K=8 or 9, I would expect the following effects to a UAV:
A position error of around 100 feet would not normally be catastrophic. The position error is not going to make your UAV fly a mile away; just 100 feet or so. This would only affect your RTH position and landing point. It might skew the onboard compass off a few degrees, but probably not noticeable. If you're still tracking 6+ satellites, just bring it home (assuming you even notice anything).

With poor signal-to-noise or phase slips, the UAV GPS receiver will loose lock and drop into the manual mode. Bring it home in manual mode.

Again, I wouldn't expect any effects until a MAJOR K=8 or 9 geomagnetic storm, and nothing that is going to cause the UAV to not know where it is more than a 100 feet in error (not a fly away). Go here to see what the K index and general space weather is:
Homepage | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center These are the guys that measure things every hour.
Do not listen to warnings issued by the major news media. Every flare lately seems to be an end-of-the-world news story, and furthermore, a solar flare means a POSSIBLE geomagnetic storm 3 days later, not right after the flare.

We have enough to worry about to keep our UAV's flying safe from proper calibration, good batteries, pre-flight check-out, and the various things that can go wrong (a weak ESC, smacking into a tree, loosing LOS, etc.). The geomagnetic storm concern doesn't even make the top 10, in my opinion. Let's focus our worries and concern elsewhere."

Back many moons ago (before I started flying DJI aircraft) we had issues with "Satellite Acquisition" during some Solar Events. There was one day we were flying at a local lake in middle North Carolina (flat land no mountains). Our aircraft at the time, a Blade 350 QX (First Generation) would not get enough Sats for the FC to engage the motors. We were literally hundreds of yards from any trees etc with a very clear sky but no luck. In the evening we went back to the same area and got Sat Lock within a few seconds.

I've not had any type of Solar issue since going to the more modern units (Blade 350 QX2 and QX3 were rock solid).

I use various Gps'r almost every day and my experience is that during higher Kp periods even 4 -5 Gps accuracy IS noticeably affected
Here is another bit of information for Drone Pilots to be just aware of.

What Is the Kp Index and Why Does It Matter to Drone Pilots?

I say BS. I have flown in KP of 8-9 and have never experienced one bit of difference in control one little bit and that was with a Yuneec Q500 almost 4 years ago now, They were not known to have the most up to date hardware so if it can fly in such conditions the newer drones with back up systems will have no problem.

Reactions: AZDave
thank you all! This was just my curiosity about the behavior of the Gps of our drones .. with a high Kp.
Good looking out, for the rest of who may not always check the Kp.

I use various Gps'r almost every day and my experience is that during higher Kp periods even 4 -5 Gps accuracy IS noticeably affected
Can you give a little more information about what kind of position inaccuracy you see?

Good looking out, for the rest of who may not always check the Kp.
Thanks, I have always taken this phenomenon into consideration before flying. In my opinion, safety during the flight is the first thing.

Thanks, I have always taken this phenomenon into consideration before flying. In my opinion, safety during the flight is the first thing.
Safety is always important, but so far, out of millions of drones flying, there has not been a reported incident that can be attributed to GPS issues caused by high solar activity.

I should have taken a photo of my higher end GPS plots when my sailboat was docked during the start of Desert Storm and years following when GPS Selective Availability was active. Yes, connected to a dock with 6' ropes, said dock attached to land via pilings, I was swinging about a quarter mile. Once SA was turned off, my GPS began reporting me attached to a dock again (~10' swing over night).

The only way to counter SA is to use Differential GPS; or Glonass (assumming Glonass doesn't also have an SA equivalent).

Then again, the US says they never plan to use SA ever again, they promise. lol.
-- GPS.gov: Selective Availability

My Amature radio hobby high kp is good for DX'ing but not necessarily good for flying gps locking drones.

Just something to watchout for like others have said. I have no research to prove kp interference one way or the other.

Only proof I have is after flying all these years and purposely flying
with high KP or during solor storms just to see what would happen nothing never did. Maybe my location or just lucky but I pay it no mind. Do what you feel comfortable doing.?‍♂️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7