DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware Sport Mode

I drive my underpowered Subaru like an old man too. At my age, there's nothing in the world thats worth driving any faster for ;)

I used to think that ..... till I got a Porsche Macan S last year. An SUV in Sport mode on steroids. Holy Cow. :oops:

Last edited:
I dont like flying in sport mode because Im too old and slow to react and correct if Im in trouble. Thats the same reason why I drive a Subaru with "Eyesight" Driver Assist Technology. The package includes emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and a load of other features that keep me out of harms way. It's like obstacle avoidance for my car.

The Porsche has all that too. But the 340 HP is really really nice when you need to get out of harms way quickly .... or are driving up the twisting mountain road I live on with an average 25% grade. ;)

Reactions: Former Member
The Porsche has all that too. But the 340 HP is really really nice when you need to get out of harms way quickly .... or are driving up the twisting mountain road I live on with an average 25% grade. ;)

I had a Cayenne 4.5 Twin Turbo. It ended up saving my life when I was hit head-on by a drunk driver who was driving at 100mph and fell asleep at the wheel. It has a Nascar-like roll cage built into the chassis.

The Mavic is smart, even smarter, than any Porsche. Not only will it keep itself out of danger, but it will return itself home even if you are drunk. lol

Last edited:
The only time I use mine in Sport Mode is to RTH, when I have a straight shot at altitude. (duhh, I guess RTH is almost always "a straight shot". It is impressive however.

I’ve noticed a greater difference between sport and p-mode on m1 then the difference between sport and p-mode on m2. What I’m trying to say is switching from sport to p-mode on m1 gives you way more speed, but on M2 it doesn’t really make a huge difference in speed. Saying that when you need speed it’s worth it on m1 but on m2 it’s rarely worth it- a good thing.

Keep my number handy lol joking

I used to go fishing on the lake in the early mornings when I had my 24' cuddy. Im one of the guys that would look at the 19' bass boats with 300hp engines going 80mph on the lake and think, "jeez, I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing." I would not be able to relax going that fast in a small boat. It would be all adrenaline, and then that would defeat the whole purpose of being out there in the first place. I drive my underpowered Subaru like an old man too. At my age, there's nothing in the world thats worth driving any faster for ;)

You are right on, it is both adrenalin and relaxing. Driving that 300hp fishing boat gives you that "oh yeah baby!!" feeling. Then you stop and relax and enjoy floating. I used to do it all the time. Now our pontoon boat only goes 18-20 mph. :) No sports mode there :)

I've had a couple of occasions were sensors would stop me from getting in where I needed to be. I just turned the ac sideways and flew in turned took my shot and then flew out sideways works pretty good no need to go to sports mode or turn senors off.

I've had a couple of occasions were sensors would stop me from getting in where I needed to be. I just turned the ac sideways and flew in turned took my shot and then flew out sideways works pretty good no need to go to sports mode or turn senors off.

In that situation, I wouldnt even think of trying it without prop guards.

Reactions: AMann
I have a confession to make - despite all the good advice here, I was recently photographing for mapping practice an archaeological site on a rock outcrop with an overhanging tree next to it, and the sensors wouldnt let me get under the overhead tree branches a foot or so above my drone where I wanted to shoot the bedrock, so I used sport mode to override it and complete my shots. Risky? Yeah, but the only risk was to the drone. I would not have done it had I been out around public. It worked well, but I knew the thing could easily go south if I wasnt careful with it at the controls.

Put it in Tripod mode in that situation. Tripod mode cuts the obstacle avoidance distance in half to allow you to get closer but you are moving so slow the sensors can stop the drone being that close. Tripod mode on MP2 also kicks in the side cameras for even more protection.

Put it in Tripod mode in that situation. Tripod mode cuts the obstacle avoidance distance in half to allow you to get closer but you are moving so slow the sensors can stop the drone being that close. Tripod mode on MP2 also kicks in the side cameras for even more protection.

Good idea, however tripod and P mode were both stumped by the branches above it- no way other than to shut off the sensors. You are right though, I use Tripod mode for all my stills.

Quick fact. Did you know that 75% of the drones I repair arrive with the controller in Sport Mode? Is there a design flaw with sports mode that allows the drone to crash? Nope. It's pilot error 100% of the time.

Do yourself a favor. Slow it down chief! Unless you want to have to send me that dreaded email that begins with, "I was flying in sport mode when..."

I think it’s a design flaw. Why wouldn’t you have the sensors on and just turn them off when attitude was too high?

This is what I did with my MP. I changed the parameters on Cinematic mode to 55 tilt and then sport vertical parameters. Now the sensors are on unless my attitude gets too Hugh then the drone politely informed me “attitude too great. Ob sensors will be turned off till you are done playing speed racer.” I’m paraphrasing of course cause I can’t remember the exact warning but that’s what it means.

Then when flying normally the “vision” light comes back on.

The problem was above it- overhanging branches. I once watched a helicopter pilot I worked with do the same- came down over the lake and then under the tree branches to land on the shore. After picking us up, he did the same thing in reverse to get out. I was waiting for him to make kindling wood for the signal fire out of those branches but he was good.

Anyways, flying by sensors is a much safer way to go, and I very rarely use sport mode.

Good idea, however tripod and P mode were both stumped by the branches above it- no way other than to shut off the sensors. You are right though, I use Tripod mode for all my stills.

The only way to prevent tree branches from ruining your day on a vertical climb is to use prop cages. Only the tiniest of branches will penetrate the little holes in the cages, and you have to be going pretty much vertical for that to happen.

Reactions: AMann
Encountered same problem last field trip. Tried to enter sport mode (to fight wind), "Unable" message went by so fast, I couldn't read it. Happened twice, didn't need sport after the first day. But that day, I had to land in the road 300 m short of home. Nice to know the lay of the land before flying.

Where is "enable mutliple flight modes"? How do I?,

My switch ends up in sport mode even though i've probably only flown in the mode once. Purely because the bag i carry it in has a tendency to move the switch in that direction when i put the controller in.
I'd venture a lot of these sport-mode switch controllers are the thing being accidentally moved in transit and not actual flights.

When I'm out ocean flying (which are most of my flights), on the way back in, I'll kick it into Sport mode and catch the onshore wind (tailwind) just to see how fast I can get it. On my P4, I've gotten it up to 87 km/h (54 mph).

Manual mode is the most fun.

EUFWMUC.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82