DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware Sport Mode

Keep my number handy lol joking

I used to go fishing on the lake in the early mornings when I had my 24' cuddy. Im one of the guys that would look at the 19' bass boats with 300hp engines going 80mph on the lake and think, "jeez, I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing." I would not be able to relax going that fast in a small boat. It would be all adrenaline, and then that would defeat the whole purpose of being out there in the first place. I drive my underpowered Subaru like an old man too. At my age, there's nothing in the world thats worth driving any faster for ;)
I'm collecting Social Security, so I know about 'at mt age'. About 10 years ago, I drove 16 laps at Talladega via Richard Petty's outfit. That is still the most fun that I ever had with my clothes on. So I disagree with your assertion about nothing in the world is worth driving that fast. I love adrenaline, but I know that some people don't. We all get our jollies in different ways. Keep the sunny side up.

Reactions: Turn11
A ton! The Mavic litterally tail stands in the air from approx 40 mph and I know that there must be incredible forces that are being generated on the arms.

I have done it many times in the past as it is a crowd pleaser. Lots of ooooohhh's and aaaaaahhhh's like watching fireworks. It can be addicting!View attachment 63007

There are mineature recording accelerometers available for model rockets, it wiuld be cool to put one on uour bird while doing this to measure how many g’s you are at with that stunt. You could also do it mathematically, but that’s not as fun as using electronics to do it!

There are mineature recording accelerometers available for model rockets, it wiuld be cool to put one on uour bird while doing this to measure how many g’s you are at with that stunt. You could also do it mathematically, but that’s not as fun as using electronics to do it!
It's only about 1.5g on 3s. The M1 (non Platinum only) can be run on 4s though. Much more fun.

Altitude is always your friend.... Fly high (400ft or less) and you will not have a problem.....till some of you land.

Happy flying

Yes, and that reason was to improve the drone's chances of surviving the first flights of inexperienced pilots. For experienced flyers, there is rare need for OA or any other automation, for that matter.

You would think that is true, but with experience, and good luck comes cockiness, and that's where most guys get into trouble. Oh, I can fly 20,000' out, no problem. I can fly under that bridge. yadda yadda

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I was led to believe that Sport mode uses less battery than P-mode because the obstacle sensors are deactivated, sparing the computing to be constantly processing images and signals.

Not sure. When I analyze my flight logs and look at the amperage it would appear sport mode uses a lot more power.

I was led to believe that Sport mode uses less battery than P-mode because the obstacle sensors are deactivated, sparing the computing to be constantly processing images and signals.

The majority of battery consumption is with the motors. In Sport mode, the motors (RPMs) can go much faster—thus— more of the battery's power.

Keep my number handy lol joking

I used to go fishing on the lake in the early mornings when I had my 24' cuddy. Im one of the guys that would look at the 19' bass boats with 300hp engines going 80mph on the lake and think, "jeez, I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing." I would not be able to relax going that fast in a small boat. It would be all adrenaline, and then that would defeat the whole purpose of being out there in the first place. I drive my underpowered Subaru like an old man too. At my age, there's nothing in the world thats worth driving any faster for ;)
My wife said I spend to much money on drones and other bull**** to go buy a boat so I'm one of those poor sobs in a kayak looking at those 60mph bassboats heading my way and thinking ohhhhhhhhshiiiiiit that water is cold

As an previous post I too flew R/C and have had my run ins with sports mode or dual mode....... Most of mine usually started with words like "yeah think that was cool watch this"
Another thread asked what did you name ur drone..... It amazed my none said Gorge of the jungle because it seems to me anything that is flown with two sticks seems to always be trying to hit a tree

Have to disagree,
For some the P mode is fine, or sport.
Anyone that has flown fast RC aircraft- be it a fixed wing or a heli, the Mavic's sport mode is painfully slow.
I opted for the sport mode+ mod for reason mentioned by BDOG. Try to get to the spot fast where I want to take pics, do my thing, and jet back.
Sport+ mode is also excellent to fight head wind. Love it!
Think of it like the pro fisherman with a 200-300 horsepower 19 foot shallow fishing boat. They just want to get to their fishing spot fast fish around and get the heck out of there quick.
Will the day come when the mavic needs repair? yes, most likely.
I fly a racing drone at upto 90mph and so yes sports mode isn't too fast, that said it dosnt cost as much to repair when I crash, which does happen quite a lot.

Sport Mode is awesome for jetting out to a location quickly then switching to P Mode / Intelligent Flight Mode to "get the shot". Then switching to Sport Mode to jet on back to the Home Point.

Its also amazing to do tail stands in mid air. Sport Mode full pass in front of you at a fairly low altitude and then pressing the pause button on the remote controller.

The speed and velocity that the Mavic's can attain while in a non-obstacle sensored mode should be respected though and its not a beginner mode for sure.

That sounds cool but I would be concerned that it is harmful to the drone. Like squealing tires and doing maximum accelerations with your car. Dont mean to sound too square. Just would like to hear opinions on that. I would like to hear....."no problem, the drone is designed to perform in that way" so that I can try it. But would quess that it caused maxim stress that the drone can take but not an large number of times. I fly my drone very conservatively in sport mode, accelerating slowly and even backing off the sticks rather than just letting them go to center... am I being too cautious? is she designed to be flown "sportingly" in sport mode?

I can only tell you that YES there is undoubtedly a good deal of stress placed on the props and arms. I am not overly concerned about the props as I have multiple sets of props. All DJI OEM. Standard, Low noise Silvers, Low Noise Golds and will be picking up some AirScrews as well.

The arms are the weak link here and I have done this "maneuver" no less than 15 times as it becomes addicting and as of yet I have inspected with the naked eye and not found any evidence of stress cracks or hairline cracks in the arms.

If on the 16th run an arm rips off I am literally going to laugh my @ss off as it plummets to earth!

"How can this be BD0G" You ask. Well I have a Statefarm policy since the bird was originally purchased and they will just crank out a check and I will more than likely buy the Mavic 2 and send my broken Mavic to Thunderdrones for repair or repair it myself (Senior Bench Tech for a very notable Electronics company for 4 years in my past life).

I used to like to drive very fast and realized the risk versus reward is just not a good idea.

If I SMT (Sport Mode Tailstand) one too many times and I loose a Mavic I laugh. If someone pulls out in front of me when I am at 100 mph in my 360 HP twin screw truck well I may loose multiple lives. My own as well as everyone around me at the time. Sportbike is worse as I am always fighting myself to keep the throttle in check.

My Dad once said "Look at all those people letting that motorcyclist live" I scratched my head for a moment and then the "lightbulb". He was right. If everyone is not on thier "A Game" just a small drift into the motorcyclist path could mean life or death.

Quick fact. Did you know that 75% of the drones I repair arrive with the controller in Sport Mode? Is there a design flaw with sports mode that allows the drone to crash? Nope. It's pilot error 100% of the time.

Do yourself a favor. Slow it down chief! Unless you want to have to send me that dreaded email that begins with, "I was flying in sport mode when..."
I have a hard enough time in gps mode. I do use sport mode for longer flights across water to save battery. Plus very few trees in the ocean.

Sport Mode is awesome for jetting out to a location quickly then switching to P Mode / Intelligent Flight Mode to "get the shot". Then switching to Sport Mode to jet on back to the Home Point.

Its also amazing to do tail stands in mid air. Sport Mode full pass in front of you at a fairly low altitude and then pressing the pause button on the remote controller.

The speed and velocity that the Mavic's can attain while in a non-obstacle sensored mode should be respected though and its not a beginner mode for sure.

You realize that you replied to thread post that is about 20 months old. Interesting you discuss video in this topic.
Sorry. I just feel like a sucker for paying a premium price for a product with such limited functionality. I am trying to find out if I can unlock the drone so it will stop limiting its performance and ran into this thread that says "Beware Sport Mode". Without sport mode the drone is as good as a camera gimble on a 50 foot pole. Certainly nothing to "beware" of. It's like posting a speed warning sign on an auto-pilot minivan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998