DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big solar flare today!

twickers14

Reactions
Fancied a quick spin in nice sunshine (but gusty conditions) and my Mrs read a piece in the papers about a massive solar flare today which might affect GPS etc. Sure enough my UAV Forecast app is predicting high kp (up to 6) today so will not fly I think. Just in case you were going out-check your area first.

Yup and all the reporting in several posts about the same thing and not one said their drone flew away, crashed or did some fancy KP dance. Imagine that....more BS.

Sure enough my UAV Forecast app is predicting high kp (up to 6) today so will not fly I think. Just in case you were going out-check your area first.
And just like every time this happens, there won't be a single drone incident that could be attributed to flying in a high K-index event.
UAV forecast is very misleading in this regard.

The 10/28 flare I think is what is causing today's geostorm ... essentially the stuff ejected during the flare has finally reached planet Earth. Flying during the flare may have caused issues.

A while back I flew in a 5.3 -- didn't even notice until I got home and looked at the log.

Capture.JPG

My UAV read red all day at 6 to 7 Kp and I flew in calm winds for 3 full flights with my MM and MA2 with no glitches at full distance. I was also concerned this morning with the high Kp but chose to test the waters with the mm first just in case. Beautiful day! I should also like to thank the members who assured me ahead of time that there was nothing to fear.

DJI0001.jpg

Last edited:
My UAV read red all day at 6 to 7 Kp and I flew in calm winds for 3 full flights with my MM and MA2 with no glitches at full distance. I was also concerned this morning with the high Kp but chose to test the waters with the mm first just in case. Beautiful day!
You can fly in Kp 8 without any worry.
It makes no difference to drone flying.
UAV forecast is a crock when it comes to this.
You can safely ignore it.

Considering 🙄 after 7 years of flying and purposely flying when Lots say it’s bad I’ve never had an issue . As far as a
topic for consideration
I say it’s just a topic to pad post.

I read that too. I mapped 300 acres today. I didn't notice anything strange other than my ground based Rover would not obtain fix for a small period of time and it was only 100 yards from the base. It actually had me scratching my head and wondering if this had to do with the flare.

Maybe?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro